1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

One Piece Drive Shaft Dimensions?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by arcboy, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Mar 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    arcboy

arcboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anyone have the correct dimensions for a one piece drive shaft from Tom Woods for my V6 07 4x4 access cab Auto? For whatever reason Tom Woods won't give me a standard length driveshaft even though they say they have made a bunch of them.

I am out of town for a few more months and am going to have a shaft sent to a dealer to have it installed and I want to make sure I am coming up with the same dimensions as everyone else.

Also, what is the advantage of the double cardan over the conventional two U-Joint shaft? Is it stronger or is it just better for lifted vehicles over 3" like Tom Woods says?

Thanks for the help

2. Mar 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I believe, if memory serves, that the Tom Woods website shows you exactly how to measure your truck to get the correct length. Just need a tape measure.

3. Mar 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Driveshaft length can vary slightly depending on the specifics of your lift (i.e. whether lift is achieved with blocks or new leaf pack, any tapered shims used, etc.). Though the variation should be well within the plunge capabilities of the slip joint, it may be why Tom Woods asks you measure your specific truck.

Double cardan can accommodate larger misalignment angles (basically 3 U-joints on the shaft vs 2).

4. Mar 23, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    arcboy

Member:
    I just wanted to make sure I gave them the right dimensions. I just don't understand how my truck would be any different at stock height even thought asked that and they said I have to still measure.

So the double cardan could be stronger and possibly be better for the shudder?

5. Mar 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    arcboy

Member:
    If someone could tell me what size the nuts and bolt heads are on the flanges to the driveshaft and what size the two bolts in the carrier are so I can get the wrenches to change it when the new one comes in? Otherwise I'm going to have to pay someone a ridiculous amount to R&R 10 bolts.

Products Discussed in

To Top