1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

One thing you would add...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Viper-2, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Oct 12, 2007 at 11:59 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Whatta ya mean ?? If you visit a variety of tacoma forums, you'll see lots of complaints about clutches, auto tranny, suspension, engine ticking, weak tailgates, etc etc etc. I'm not complaining - I'm simply repeating what I see on the forums.

If Toyota's reputation is reliability and quality - then why are there so many complaints about these newer trucks?

Why hasn't their quality stayed the same from generation to generation?
    Sure - it's a totally new platform...but normal problems such as that should've been taken care of by now. Why haven't they put the new TSB leaf springs in all the vehicles for 06+? Why didn't they strengthen the tailgates for 06+?

2. Oct 12, 2007 at 7:17 PM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 [OP] Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Gimme a break keemosabe. Fact is that all manufacturers have issues and problems way more than Toyotas let alone Tacomas.

When you are a huge car company you are bound to have issues. When you create a complex piece of machinery and put out so many units and have so many variables about drivers and climates, etc...you have problems.

Having been and still being in bands I have released hundreds of thousands of CD's. Many of them were duds from companies that were quite reputable. When you release thousands upon millions of units of something...this just happens.

FACT is (check your consumer reports) that Toyota has the most reliable vehicles of ANY car company overall. This is a FACT.

And if you are "not complaining" and stating only "what you see on the forums" then why are you upset I am challenging your misinformation? I got mine from stats on Toyota and mags like CR and Automotive sites. You got yours from a small sample of people (only a small sample goes on a forum and complains) on some forums who will go there specifically most of the time TO complain about and issue or to do research on it.

Have you looked at the Chevy boards...huh? how about the Ford Ranger boards? Yup, you got it pally, they all have problems and issues.

I would take a weak talgate over a bum transmission anyday.

Another fact...this is only certain models of trucks. One thing you get from Toyota on the Tacoma is choice. They have numerous options and trim lines for this Tacoma. Mine is great, no issues from Toyota (dealer screwed up my brake booster). No problems mentioned. The bottom line is Toyota makes many more trim lines than the competitors on this midsize truck so there will be more issues...it is all relative.

Fact: they got an 80% reliability rating on Consumer reports now for 3 years on a row. The 4 cylinder got even higher than that.

Now, go look at the other carmakers ratings. Even the beloved Ridgeline's satisfaction rating is LOWER than the Tacoma. These are the ratings from real owners, like you and me who say what they feel. Not a reviewer...the reviewers love the Ridgeline and the Frontier...apparently many of their owners do not...at least not nearly as much as the Tacomas owners.

So when and if you get the sheet to do the review, put down how unrelaible you think the Tacoma is. Me and millions of others will state what a badass great and RELIABLE truck it is.

3. Oct 16, 2007 at 8:51 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Why do you think I bought a tacoma for the second time? Surely they are the best compact trucks out there....that's a no brainer.

I'm simply comparing the older tacomas with the newer ones - and these newer ones don't seem to be *as good* as the older generations (based on legitimate complaints). I think anyone who has owned both generations - can relate.

And yeah, any company or car manufacturer can have problems - but when you've built up years worth of quality and reliability in your vehicles, that's proof that they've taken the time to *get it right*. When you come out with a newer generation tacoma that isn't as good as the first ones....you gotta wonder why?

And yeah, I wonder why there are so many complaints on these new trucks and I *knock on wood* in hopes my continues to be free of the problems others are having.

4. Oct 16, 2007 at 9:26 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I think that hanging out on discussion boards will cause you to think there are a lot of problems with the object of discussion. Many of the people that come on here have a problem that they're trying to solve. People are complainers. How many posts have you seen that are titled "I don't have any problems with my truck?" I could start a thread like that...I don't have any of the common issues with my truck.

5. Oct 17, 2007 at 5:29 AM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Good point, we should start a "nothings wrong with my truck at all" thread and let's see what happens.

Janster: fact is we are in the 3 years of our new Tacomas while the older ones went beyond 10 so no comparison yet. Also, the new Taco's are more advanced in electronics and whatnot...it is a new truck entirely.

When I pull up next to an older Taco, I find it hard to believe it's the same truck except the name.

I like the older trucks, but I would have never bought one. I specifically waited until 05 to even think about it seriously.

And your comment about "so many" is what I am aiming at. Where are your facts and stats that the new Tacoma (taking into account the number of sales) is complained about more or less than the older ones considering all the factors of their first production year, amount sold and technological advances? Even things like the crossection of buyers would change this. I read that the old Taco's were sold to mostly young guys around 20-26. The new ones are averaging 24-33 year old guys.

This would mean we have a more picky buyer who has had more vehicles in his life.

6. Oct 17, 2007 at 8:08 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
  7. Oct 17, 2007 at 8:31 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Is the shift due to pricing? Meaning 20-26 group cannot afford a 28K truck or is it something else. :confused:

8. Oct 17, 2007 at 8:58 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    :D

It's the same group of guys.....buying newer trucks 4-7 years later. :p

Anytime I see tacomas around my area - they've gotta be 60+ years old.

9. Oct 17, 2007 at 8:12 PM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Well with people making payments these days and with all the no money down type of stuff...not thinking so.

10. Oct 17, 2007 at 8:18 PM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    This article is about recommended, not reliability. Reliability is about the owners and their complaints. I get a form every year from CR and this year I have not gotten one yet for 2008.

Also, this is talking about Toyota in comparison to Ford, not the Tacoma specifically. In fact the Tacoma is spoken of nowhere in the article. You were talking about the Tacoma specifically. In fact the Tacoma is now 3 years running and the 05's are still over 80% reliability from CR. That means they still would have recommended it after the first years reliability data. They are talking only about not recommending after a major redesign or a first year model, which Toyota has normally been exempt from.

Apparently the Tundra is not doing so well for some reason...I think I heard they had a brake problem. The Camry is a shock though.

So where are the stats on the TACOMA in comparison to the older ones?

11. Oct 20, 2007 at 9:45 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    here's my cargo lights...not good pics, but u get the just of it...

IM000472.jpg
    IM000473.jpg

12. Oct 21, 2007 at 2:01 AM
    Viper-2

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Nice work man! Did you do that mod from the one listed on TN? I was going to do it but I wasn't in the bed (haha) to justify it. But it's still a cool thing if one uses it.

13. Oct 21, 2007 at 7:09 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    no. i just picked up a set of small oval fog lights and wired them up. same thing i did for my extra reverse lights under the truck, except they were larger ones. of course ideas were borrowed from pb2...thx pal...haha

14. Oct 21, 2007 at 6:30 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I was in the bed of my truck today preping for my tonneau delivery tomorrow. I pulled out that little cubby hole with an eye to this future cargo light mod. I was amazed how much room there is between the composite bed and the outer body. I started wondering why use the cubby for the lights. Just flush mount them to the composite bed on the cab side of those cubbies.

15. Oct 21, 2007 at 6:36 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    unless u have some way of angling them, they'll just point at each other. they'll give off light, but i dunno how good that'd cover the entire bed.

16. Nov 3, 2007 at 7:12 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    I think I would have gone for Leather Seats! !! I don't believe the cloth seats are gonna hold up under my old fat ass! !! :D

Don G

17. Nov 3, 2007 at 11:37 AM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    haha they may get stained from skid marks and "burnouts" in your pants over time. my one complaint about my 07 access cab is that 9 cup holders just arent enough ;)

18. Nov 7, 2007 at 9:52 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Could you please explain why there needs to be 9 cup holders:confused: Really! !!

19. Nov 7, 2007 at 4:03 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Would having the factory option of an auto trans for the regular cab four banger 4x4 be a choice?

Other than that, if it's just interior and exterior, maybe better seat fabric. I would have liked to see the shifter back a tad bit closer. Other than that nothing I could nit pick about for a truck.

20. Nov 7, 2007 at 4:51 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    It isn't already an option?

Products Discussed in

To Top