1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

One Tire Blew - How Many Do I Replace?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by rjtoc2, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    rjtoc2

rjtoc2 [OP] Burglar of Turds

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    I have a 2008 Tacoma Double-Cab Prerunner. I have approximately 8000 miles on my truck with the original tires.

I heard a loud "pop" this morning while driving home. Once I pulled up to my house, I heard a loud hissing sound. I noticed my passenger-side, rear tire was rapidly deflating. I pulled out all of the stuff and changed the tire. Upon inspection, the flat tire has a crack/split approximately one (1) inch in lenght across the top (tread) of the tire almost centerline.

My question is this: If the tire is not repairable, do I replace the one (1) tire or do I buy at least two (2)? Again, the tires on my Tacoma are the original OEM tires with approximately 8000 miles on them (Dunlop Grandtrek AT-20).

I've also heard from many people about needing to replace all their OEM tires fairly quickly as most OEM tires these days are brand-new factory rejects.

Any info would be appreciated.

2. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    perfect time to get some 265 75 16's , the Dunlops are garbage .

3. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    red taco

red taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    La Verne, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Impulse Red Pearl
    If you don't really want to replace all of them right now you could have the spare mounted on the good rim and buy 1 tire that you plan on purchasing as the next set to keep and have as a spare. then when the 4 are ready to be done you can have a new tire already and just buy 3 new ones.

Just a thought but the OEM tires only lasted about 30k on my truck

4. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX or College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner V6 Black
    Viper Alarm, In Pro Car Wear L.E.D. Tail Lights, Fog Lights, ScanGuageII, AvidOffroad Light Bar, Ammo Box Mod, Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Satoshi Grill, Hella 500ff behind the grill, blendmount, Cruise Control Mod, Fog Light Mod, 5100's @1.75, Toytec TSB AAL 1.5".
    This is what happened to me. I took the spare and mounted it on the bad tires rim. Then bought the cheapest tire I could and had it mounted on the spare rim.

5. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and l
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Great advice...:thumbsup:

6. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    c2thegreat

c2thegreat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ol' Virginny
    Vehicle:
    09 4 banger
    Readylift sst,31in. mts,TRD sport bilstein rear shocks,new head unit,bedlined tool box,fishing rack,35% tint,fogs
    If you are considering new tires nows the time to upgrade if not switching the spare in is your cheapest option.

7. Aug 2, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    tig1

tig1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Saint John,New Brunswick,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    n fabs,window visor tonneau ,bilstein 5100's all round.245/75R16Toyo A/T II
    I got less than 10,000 kms on my grandtrek AT20 and a lump has appeared on the firewall on one tire and two have a concave style dent in them.Two or three to be exact.Seeing dealer on Thrusday.

later tig1:confused:

To Top