1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Online Trading?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by nd, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Feb 14, 2008 at 2:14 PM
    nd

nd [OP] Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Ok, maybe you chumps and chumpettes didnt know it, but you've been hanging out with the next Trump.... me! Problem is i'm just now learning to invest. So here's the deal. First question....

1) What is the best online trading broker? please give me reasons to back up your response and dont just mimic commercials or online adds. I prefer responses from people who actually invest. E-trade, scottrade, ameritrade.... what are the advantages and disadvantages?

2) Secondly, if anyone has any good online resources i'd appreciate it if you could share them. for example, some sites have graphs that are easier to read and the info is more user friendly than other sites. Some sites you have to search forever to find what your looking for as far as stock history's and all that. So if you invest i'd love to know what sites help you out the most. and i promise you this. if you give me good info on this thread, i'll buy you a new taco after i make my second billion.

2. Feb 14, 2008 at 2:16 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I forgot to mention that after i make my first billion.... i'm gonna buy Texas!

3. Feb 14, 2008 at 2:25 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I do my investing with mutual funds through USAA. I've never actually bought stocks. Are you trying to get in on the recession low prices?

4. Feb 14, 2008 at 2:58 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Right now i have an old 401(k) that is in a mutual fund. i want to roll it over into something (i'm guessing an IRA) that i can manipulate myself. I have a gamblers personality and like the idea of buying and selling stocks. Since i cant touch the 401(k) till i'm 65, i dont really care if i lose it or not. i figure it will serve as a good learning tool and if i do well with it then i'll start investing money from my banking accounts. Gotta start somewhere, and it might as well be with money you wont miss right? i'm trying to lear Warren Buffets strategy. he uses psychology and sociology to predict market trends way before they happen. Thats why he dominates the stock market (he is the 3rd richest man in the world) people set market trends, so if you can predict people you can predict the market..... if you are good. unfortunately you have to practice to be good so i might as well get started :) on a side note i may not make the Carolina Meet since there is a good chance i will lose everything i own to the stock market by the end of next week :)

5. Feb 23, 2008 at 11:34 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    I like Ameritrade. Their online research tools are awesome. I split my money among stocks and mutual funds in totally different markets so I won't be shit out of luck if some industry collapses (like the web bubble in the late 90s, I know a few people who bet it all and still are paying for it).

With your gambler personality be careful coz it can be addictive. Have you picked a stock site already? This thread is about 9 days old...

6. Feb 23, 2008 at 11:55 AM
    AK Backcountry

AK Backcountry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime
    Most of the people I know use Ameritrade and like it. I gave my money to professionals awhile ago after hanging on too long to a "Sure Thing". Not enough time to monitor it.

Just Remember : "Bulls and Bears make money and the sheep are lead to slaughter." Don't be a sheep!!!

As far as buying Texas:

I think for a 6-pack of Bud Light they would give you the keys to the whole state. :) But then what would you do with it?

7. Feb 25, 2008 at 1:26 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I haven't picked a site yet. I have heard alot of good stuff about Scottrade but it looks like you have to keep some minimums in their accounts. Right now i'm not putting alot in so i dont want to have to worry about minimum account numbers. I have been spending alot of time on Motleyfool.com just trying to learn all i can. trying to figure out all the confusing lingo and all the little details. I'm also trying to figure out if i can roll my 401(k) over myself or if i have to go find a profesional to do it. so you use Ameritrade, do you know anything about etrade or scottrade?

What will i do with Texas when i buy it? good question..... sink it, burn it, or blow it up :)

I know i can technically take it out, but if i take it out before i certain age i am taxed and penalized so i only get like 50% of it. i would rather use it to get use to the stock market. Sort of like "play money" when you play online poker.

8. Feb 25, 2008 at 3:41 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Ameritrade for trading.

The Motley Fool for stock and trading advice. Seriously.

9. Feb 27, 2008 at 1:26 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    You should consider commodity trading. Much more exciting and bigger profits. Talk to your trader about it. I suggest you invest in grain and seeds. Its a win-win situation. If the market crashes, you can peck away at the seeds. ;)

10. Feb 27, 2008 at 1:29 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    wait a sec, why are we giving nate advice. We all know he doesn't have any money!

11. Feb 28, 2008 at 10:44 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    i dont have a trader. plus, if i could invest in commodity's and then keep them if they didnt do well, i would invest in beer. thats a commodity right?

Duh, thats why i'm investing. i dont have money now but after i invest i'll be rich!!! Dont you know anything? Nobody in the history of America has ever lost money on the stock market, its a sure thing! I dont know why everybody isn't trading stocks. Now i just have to go to a loan shark and borrow about 25k. i'll have that trippled in the first day. its fool proof!!!

12. Feb 28, 2008 at 10:40 PM
    AK Backcountry

AK Backcountry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime
    I consider Beer more a necessity! I invest in it all the time but I keep losing my initial investment.

13. Feb 29, 2008 at 4:50 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    You mean you keep flushing your investment down the drain :confused:.

14. May 12, 2008 at 2:00 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I use Sharebuilder. No minimum amount to buy. I have bought stocks with $50 before. They have 3 types of accounts. I use the free one(no monthly fee) $4 a trade to buy. I think they charge $11.95 to sell. They have one that is $12 a month with 6 free trades.

A good site to learn http://www.investopedia.com/university/stocks/

15. May 11, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the response Sean but i pulled the trigger a few weeks ago with charles schwabb.

16. May 12, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Old thread is old.

17. May 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM
    Nitronick

Nitronick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5 v6 3.4
    scottrade for me!

18. May 31, 2010 at 10:31 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Such an old thread nd! And you are just now making a decision!? I use Charles schwab and am happy with my selection though.

Products Discussed in

To Top