1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ontario BS Thread

Discussion in 'Ontario, Canada' started by tacoma16, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Apr 20, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    pete37

pete37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    peter
    Toronto Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008 trd offroad aclb 2016 trd sport stolen 2019 TRDORSB
    :rofl:

Shveet likes this.
  2. Apr 20, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    I think that's got to be one of the top looking bumpers for the Tacoma.

If it had the BSM option on it... they could not take my $$ fast enough.

Not sure why I'm so hung up on keeping the BSM/CTA working on my truck when I know that it will crap out eventually anyways and there is no way I would pay the crazy $$ for parts or calibration afterwards...

I've been eyeballing this bumper as it's the only one that may keep the BSM working....

https://www.apogeeoffroad.com/shop/...er-gen3?itemId=cx2ops4zw4dg3pssxojqe2b9zhmha8

But it does not retain the factory hitch (I like having the factory hitch so you can put a hitch skid on it,
    (why scrape up a steel bumper if you don't have to)
    and it does not have the center step area.... grrrr.

And compared to your bumper... it looks like ass....

3. Apr 20, 2020 at 2:57 PM
    pete37

pete37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    peter
    Toronto Canada
    Vehicle:
    my bumper has the holes for the sensors that's were I put the lights

Atlas86 likes this.
  4. Apr 20, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    pete37

pete37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    peter
    Toronto Canada
    Vehicle:
    probably just under 800. plus tax

5. Apr 20, 2020 at 3:13 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    Only $800 , dam that's a good price

Hmmm I could put cameras in each corner and have the best of all the worlds....

Shveet and pete37[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Apr 20, 2020 at 3:50 PM
    Shveet

Shveet retired TEC Picture Guy (̶r̶e̶t̶u̶r̶n̶e̶d̶)̶

Member:
    Own-tario
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement DCSB TRD OR
    I just flowed some solder to each of the spade connectors on both the wiring harness and tossed in the last 4 male spades i had onto the pod lights.
    plugged it all in and it worked like an absolute charm. Though, going to have to figure out the correct programing for the rearview mirror/ garage opener system as i only took about 5 minutes to look into programming, that's a project for tomorrow.

Reason i ask about how you have your external fuse box setup is that now that i have 2 sets of lights; Front light bar and the pod lights which i plan on using as rear firing work lights also to blind people who leave their high beams on and are riding my ass. So Figured that it's best to set up a fuse panel for potentially everything i might add onto the truck; light bar front, pods rearward, pods forward?, Power inverter inside the cab for charging a laptop and whatever else, probably a connection for a fridge of sorts, etc etc as the list can go on till i need to consider dual battery setups...

but might as well start with not building a rats nest and do things more or less right. This is where my PC side comes into play :D I cannot stand messy cable management.
    photo from a few years back, it's gotten better since but it's whats i'm fine with.
    IMG_20180421_155308.jpg

AAAAAAAANYWAYS

I'm staying away from the switch-pro button system stuff, i'm fine with swapping out fuses if i blow them out if something is to happen, I have a small bag somewhere in the basement, and wiring up buttons to whatever i might need. More or less analog over digital?

The power tray was something i was thinking of building from scratch since there are a lot of examples of it, I have some sheet metal around the house, an angle grinder, and some sanity, All i would need is a template and a guide...
    But it's good to know there is someone selling them premade (at least the mounting bit). $85 USD seems pretty reasonable for the material, cutting, bending, cut placement, pre drilled holes, and finish. I'll consider it once i cut my hand off the sheet metal
    :fingerscrossed:

That Blue Sea block you posted was the exact same one i was looking at earlier, I was also thinking of running it inline with a 100 amp circuit breaker. One flick and all external accessories are off.
    Might do 2 breakers incase i want to kill everything but the inverter and fridge. So might as well order one of those now then :fistbump:

7. Apr 20, 2020 at 4:29 PM
    Canadianguy91

Canadianguy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    oh man im in the same boat. Want a rear bumper bad but don't really want to loose the bsm if I already have. Maybe eventually someone will get it figured but not looking like that anytime soon

8. Apr 20, 2020 at 4:33 PM
    Canadianguy91

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
  9. Apr 20, 2020 at 4:47 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing

Yeah the switch pod things are way overpriced for what they are.... I did it that way just to save time for myself.

If I had known that this Covid thing would give me free time I would have gone with relays and buttons with the blue sea fuse block for more bragging rights and OCD time making wiring harnesses. and saved almost a grand.
    I find it relaxing crimping on terminals and making harnesses look OEM.

I still would have bought the power tray as it would have taken me over 10 hrs to design, cut and bend something similar and it probably would not have come out as nice. If you want to make your own and want to take measurements off mine give me a shout.

Good idea for the breaker.... always a good idea to put a fuse or a breaker as close to the power source as possible. People forget that wires rub and fray... More vehicles get burnt up because someone put the fuse close to whatever they were powering and left the wire unprotected running from the battery.

Your computer anal ocd days are really going to pay off for Automotive wiring, will be better than dealer done.

Shveet[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 20, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    Yep been eyeballing those....

But not quite as nice looking as Pete's,

and look at the price....:bananadead:
    lol and it will be shipping from California.... :spending:

I really want the CTA for when I'm backing out of alleyways or between two panel vans etc.

But I see that there are gadgets out there for switching between camera sources for the Tacoma (I just bought one that adds a front camera and selects between front and back with a touch of a button). I'm hoping I could change the gadget that divided the two cameras into 4 (I think I saw that there was a 6 camera one out there someplace) sooooo...

If I switch the "divider" to a 4 camera one, and then drill holes in the corners of Pete's bumper I could have a Cross Traffic Camera system....

Win Win Win Win situation.... Bye Bye BSM. hello sexy bumper....

11. Apr 20, 2020 at 6:06 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    Hmmm Beatsonic has a 6 Camera selector module...

https://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo...onic-avs1-automatic-audio-video-selector.html

[​IMG]
    I wonder if I can just swap out the two camera selector that comes with the front camera kit with no muss or fuss...

Mount this connector block somewhere in the engine compartment so it's easy to add cameras....

Front, Back, Left and Right rear sideways and two open spots...

Hmmm Meso and somebody else made some pieces for under the front mirrors for puddle lights or cameras... oh this could be fun...

Uh Oh @pete37 we may be bumper brothers soon....

I'm really digging the CTC idea.... much better than CTA and everything (bumper cameras etc) would be cheaper than just replacing the BSM sensors out of warranty, let alone the OEM facia thing that would blow apart at 3km/r impact with a pumpkin.

More googling for parts....

Oh if an angry Chinese lady calls your store ranting on about her husband spending money on his truck and working on it instead of her kitchen...

:anonymous:

pete37 and ontarioyota like this.
  12. Apr 20, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    Canadianguy91

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    lol your right on that. Pete’s bumper is like

dam sexy

but anyway ya those cameras are cool. Did you get the anytime front and rear? Was looking at doing that this summer but would love more of an appearance piece on the outside

pete37 likes this.
  13. Apr 20, 2020 at 6:40 PM
    cwisema

cwisema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Acton, Ont.
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB TRD Sport
    My truck also falls under the recall for the frame. They checked it out during my last service and told me that they will not be applying the coating. They are only going to plug some of the unused holes with stickers.

What is the CKP recall? I'm not aware of any other recalls for my truck.

TeecoTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Apr 20, 2020 at 6:43 PM
    Shveet

Shveet retired TEC Picture Guy (̶r̶e̶t̶u̶r̶n̶e̶d̶)̶

Member:
    Own-tario
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement DCSB TRD OR

Well throwing money at this project and gonna see what sticks.

Terminal fuse block and fuses for an absolute fail safe
    2 breakers (1x 100A, 1x 150A)
    the fancy split blue sea fuse block (where it's 2 groups of 6, that way each group has its own breaker)

I'll take some measurements for the power tray, but knowing myself i'll just buy the damned thing to not need to dick around more than i already am.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    daks[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 20, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    Yeah I got the one from beatsonic as it had all the jumper cables for the stereo so no wire splicing... and it comes with the button too..

https://www.beatsonicusa.com/cs6ep.html

[​IMG]

Then I got this camera as it looks like it will just clip onto the pro grill easy...

https://www.beatsonicusa.com/bcam11.html

[​IMG]

Canadianguy91[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Apr 20, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    TeecoTaco

TeecoTaco Liberty Biberty

Member:
    SW Ontario
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Modified the level of gas in the tank
    Crankshaft position sensor...your 17 is likely outside that recall.

I don't care if they apply the rust fixer or not, as long as I get certified for the extended frame warranty...I krown mine every year and touch up myself at service intervals.

Main point, driving a rental tundy...not like I stole it, but like I know a guy who stole it and is gonna let me go for an extended spin. Like a responsible adult...of course

cwisema[QUOTED] and ontarioyota like this.
  17. Apr 20, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    ontarioyota

ontarioyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    @scott777taco INSTAGRAM
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    Blacked out badges-rims OME lift with 881's & dakar pacs, summer tires=BFG 31x10.5x15 on 93 4runner rims,winter= 265 75 16 DURATRACS on stock steelies,Flowmaster exhaust, deck plate mod, ARB front bumper
    Your Krown routine will serve you well, I swear by it.

Enjoy the tundra ....that is a good gig. I drive a 2013 reg cab at work. I had a 2006 DC for almost 10years and it was a beautiful example of Toyota engineering.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    TeecoTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Apr 20, 2020 at 7:30 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing

What he doesn't show you in the power tray pictures is on the inner end of it there is a bracket that goes from the tray
    to where your front differential breather mounts on your inner fender.

You can see the top of it on the left side of the tray in this pic;

IMG-0724_16611b611b8aa0502f4a997f6bb4ea4361add4f8.jpg

Then if you had a vice with a couple pieces of flat-stock you could do the bend on the RH side that connects to the firewall. Then the Left.

Rest is just keeping a steady hand with a jigsaw/bandsaw and drilling....

But yeah they are cheap enough to just say f' it and buy the pre-made one.

One thing which is on my to-do list is to paint mine black so it looks more OEM.

Shveet[QUOTED] and ontarioyota like this.
  19. Apr 20, 2020 at 7:46 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    What was the mfg date of your truck?

Yeah the 17's they started doing some of the frame mitigation stuff, I don't have a pic but they put these rubber "plugs" that have holes in them starting in the 17's, but I never noticed the "corrosion inhibitor" wax in between the frame laminations and joints in that back pocket of the frame where the plugs are,
    under the front seat area where the frame boxing starts right near the high pressure fuel pump computer module on the diver side. Is the best convoluted whay I can describe it without a pic...

Besides even if you have the factory stuff, or the dealer applied stuff afterwards.
    It Does not cover the whole frame.
    Nor is it going to last as long as oil spraying your undersides anyways.

TeecoTaco likes this.
  20. Apr 20, 2020 at 7:57 PM
    TeecoTaco

TeecoTaco Liberty Biberty

Member:
    SW Ontario
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Modified the level of gas in the tank
    This is a paper recall...extended frame warranty . That's the value

Products Discussed in

To Top