1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinion of the Bilstein 5100's

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 4x4x4trd, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Mar 24, 2008 at 3:51 PM
    XxMalfunktionxX

XxMalfunktionxX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County,California
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SPORT SR5 Double Cab
    K&N Drop in, Bilstein 5100's in front with Readylift kit on top for a 3 in. lift in the front and a 1 in. block in the rear. Next project is going to be TRD Supercharger and Camburg coilover long travel system with custom skid plate and tubes. Maybe some new tires and wheels then..
    Ya thanks couch..I have mine set at stock height with the spacers..thats as high as I can take them..hmmm..i wonder..if I take the spacers out and adjust the 5100's themselves to the higher position..I wonder if it will look higher than it is now?

Id imagine it might be a little stiffer ride? The 5100s are a little taller shock so who knows..

2. Mar 24, 2008 at 4:02 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Got it...

Read into it more and noticed that the shock was designed for lift, or something in that respect. Oh well, I will hold what i got and work on a few other Mods that have gained my interest.

Thanks for the advice...

3. Mar 25, 2008 at 7:40 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    you can take the spacers out and adjust the shock to .85, 1.75 or 2.5 inches. if you have a 3 inch spacer lift with the 5100's at stock then tht will be higher than if you took the spacers out and adjusted the shocks. just so you know, for every setting you go higher with these shocks, you gain height but loose a little of your comfy ride. every setting compresses the springs just a little more so at 2.5 the front end is very stiff.

4. Mar 25, 2008 at 8:31 AM
    XxMalfunktionxX

Member:
    Orange County,California
    Vehicle:
    K&N Drop in, Bilstein 5100's in front with Readylift kit on top for a 3 in. lift in the front and a 1 in. block in the rear. Next project is going to be TRD Supercharger and Camburg coilover long travel system with custom skid plate and tubes. Maybe some new tires and wheels then..
    Yes sir I figured that is what would happen..it would get nice and stiff up front..which..would make it nice off road..but the street ride would suffer just a tad i guess..

5. Mar 25, 2008 at 8:35 AM
    XxMalfunktionxX

Member:
    Orange County,California
    Vehicle:
    But thats ok, I got the info I needed from the guys at Camburg Engineering out here in Huntington Beach, Ca. I am gonna be getting theyre new Long Travel Kit that is going to be released within a few weeks..apparently they have a system already in place for my truck however they are finishing up a newer better one from what I was told..

This is from the email that he sent me..

Hey Joe,

Our new LT System for the 05-08 Tacoma will be available in the next few weeks as we are finishing up with this new system. Depending on exactly what you want as far as coilover and optional bypass as well as bump stops. The system itself is $3995, this includes upper arms, boxed lowers, steering extensions, brake lines, limit straps, and Sway a way 2.5" coilovers. You will also need new axles in the front the cost $800. We also have upgrade options for this system, heim steering upgrade $495, heim upper arm pivots $249. Cost of install is $800. You will be able to run a 16" wheel with a 33" tire. Hopefully this answers your questions let me know if you have any others. Thanks

So needless to say..I am pretty sure I am gonna go with Camburg and have them set my rig up..

6. Mar 25, 2008 at 7:47 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Damn thats a lot of cash for running 33's. I am running that now. I would go with a performance 6" FABTECH when available. Just an opinion...

7. Mar 25, 2008 at 8:01 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    yeah...screw that for 2.5" lift in the front. i got that for $75

8. Mar 25, 2008 at 8:44 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    just read your sig malfunction. are you running a spacer with your billys on the top notch?

9. Mar 26, 2008 at 7:44 AM
    XxMalfunktionxX

Member:
    Orange County,California
    Vehicle:
    No my 5100s are at stock setting with my spacer installed..

I dont like Fabtech..I have heard alot of horror stories about their stuff breaking..and I had a 01 Silverado with a 3" spindle lift that was fabtech..I wasnt really impressed with it..I mean it wasnt horrible...but I was considering not buying them again when I lift another vehicle..

Its not about the tire size..its about the travel...at least for me it is..I can wheel just fine with 33 in tires..I also dont think he was mentioning the fact that I can also do some fiberglass work and that should be able to clear me at least to a 35'' tire with no problems..I think with theyre stock setup WITHOUT fab work..I can only run 33's but with some fab work..I think I can clear 35''s

I have heard that Camburgs stuff is damn near bulletproof..and I heard this from someone who is in the suspension business(he actually has worked on my truck before) and he told me that if I want to do it the right way..and have dependable suspension that will perform. Go Camburg he said.

Now im not saying that anyone here DOESNT know what theyre saying..I value your guys ideas and opinions alot! So please dont get me wrong..I'm just trying to soak up as much info before I do spend that money cuz yes..its alot of cash..

10. Mar 26, 2008 at 8:42 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    i have actually wondered about my offroad ride after the 5100's. they are definately stiffer and the street ride is not as smooth. i dont mind scraficing some comfort for style and function, but i'm wondering if its too stiff for offroading too. i'm worried that i will be bumped all over the cab. i need to go find a nice bumpy dirt road and test it out but i cant think of any around here off the top of my head. anyone have any experience offroading with 5100's set on 2.5 with stock coils?

11. Mar 26, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    XxMalfunktionxX

Member:
    Orange County,California
    Vehicle:
    Yes..i hit the trails..its just a tad stiffer..but its not horrible..thats my two cents..you shouldnt get as much fade..which is good..

12. Mar 26, 2008 at 9:15 AM
    XxMalfunktionxX

Member:
    Orange County,California
    Vehicle:
    I actually mis read that..I have my 5100s at stock setting..with my readylift kit installed on top..so it may differ..but I would imagine it being a little more stiff if the shocks itself are at top setting..

13. Mar 26, 2008 at 9:25 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yeah its noticably stiffer. not a terrible ride but i'm worried about how they will perform on a really bumpy surface. they are ether gonna be great because of the superior dampening or suck because of the increased stiffness

14. Mar 26, 2008 at 10:20 AM
    XxMalfunktionxX

Member:
    Orange County,California
    Vehicle:
    My guess is that it will be good..for the better at least..because of the greater dampening..

15. Aug 1, 2008 at 2:22 AM
    caliKxracer

caliKxracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Prerunner
    Supercharged, Linked and Caged
    i have mine at the highest preset, just got back from ocotillo this past weekend, and WOW i only had the front installed with stock trd back suspension, but dam, the front handled and rode so much better. i gained a little bit of down travel(enough to do real small jumps) and gained alot of stability (power slides on devils slide at 60mph+)

i have some spacers and kinda wanted to throw them on top to get some more lift, but then found out how much damage that was and tossed the idea

16. Aug 9, 2008 at 11:23 AM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    Are 5100s all around worth it?

Will I run into any problems with front @ 1.75," rear 5100s on stock setting and an Alcan AAL?

I was thinking of only running front 5100s with the AAL but if the ride is much improved rear 5100s may be a possibility.

17. Aug 9, 2008 at 9:08 PM
    caliKxracer

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Prerunner
    def go witht the 5100s all around, its makes everything alot nicer off road, i actually fipped off my load spring so i could get more flex out of the 5100 rear, because with the stock 4 (3 long and 1 load) it was to stiff in the back, but now with just 3 long in the back its a much softer ride and perfect for romping in the desert

18. Aug 10, 2008 at 9:38 AM
    caliKxracer

Member:
    First Name:
    kyle
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Prerunner

19. Oct 7, 2008 at 2:39 PM
    KMADA

KMADA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner trd sport
    15% tint, 6k HIDs, K&N intake
    anyone using the toytec 3" spacer along with the 5100s at stock height? How would that be?

20. Oct 7, 2008 at 5:46 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    More stiff than if they were set at 2.5".

Products Discussed in

To Top