1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions: 2010/11 FJ Cruiser or 2010/11 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by k20me, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Dec 29, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    k20me

k20me [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    BroCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner
    Hi all:

Well, I've been contemplating this for a while now, and am about ready to move on from my 2007 Tacoma Prerunner into a new vehicle (Please do not yet ask about parting out. The wheels I might be selling soon (DPE), the S/C stays with the truck when I sell/trade it in). I am planning on moving on because I will be getting 4x4, locker, A-Trac, pretty much the whole nine yards.

I plan to camp a whole lot more this year, tow my Samurai in many of those camping trips, and have room for a full vehicle, plus my German Shepherd during those trips.

I thought I had my heart set on a 2010/11 FJ Cruiser. I like the shorter wheel base, the fact that it is an SUV, the added horsepower/tq, and the general looks of it. I know the looks aren't for everyone, but I like it. The off-road capability of an FJ is very intriguing to me, but at the price of losing the bed?

I know there are a few FJ owners on this forum, and many others with opinions. This vehicle will stay relatively stock, and the added traction control systems are mainly for added peace of mind when deciding whether or not I want to get to that "better" camping or photo spot.

All opinions are welcome, and I will continue to search. Thanks all.

2. Dec 29, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    Ryeguy

Ryeguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    43* North
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road 4X4 Blackout
    OEM Bed Extension, Bed Mat, Lomax Bed Cover, Auto lock tailgate (OEM)
    I've read that the FJ is going to be end-of-life'ed this year (2011 or 2012 being the last year).

I've also read the visibility out of the FJ is challenging (especially in the back seat which is likened to a cave).

I would definitely drive one before making a decision. I love the FJ looks, but would be worried about the end-of-life and visibility.

3. Dec 29, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    What opinions? You know all the pros and cons, they're in your first post. You just need time to think.

Do you need a bed or not?

4. Dec 29, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    get a 4 runner or wait for year and get the next gen taco

5. Dec 29, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I like the Fj but the blind spots were a bit of an issue for me.

6. Dec 29, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    Brandon###

Brandon### Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2010 tacoma and my wife has a 2010 fj. Both are equipped similarly with 4x4 and lockers, etc... I've driven the fj quite a bit and I can honestly say that I would rather have the tacoma. She LOVES her fj and will supposedly keep it for years to come, but I would rather drive my truck any day of the week.
    The big blind spots and the short windshield are just a couple of things I can't get used to. (I used to have a jeep too)

7. Dec 29, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    I had SUV's and used them extensively for skiing, hunting, lots of back-country adventure.
    The utility of having a bed easily makes up for all the shortcomings of the Tacoma.
    Plus not having dog hair inside?....priceless.
    FJ's are really for posures anyway.

8. Dec 29, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    98fourbangertaco

98fourbangertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma, 4wd, SR5, 2.7L, 5-speed
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    get what u think will fit u best, and fj's aint just for posers, i got a wheelin buddy with one and they go like heck

9. Dec 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    walleyeguy

walleyeguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 DCSB TRD OR Auto MGM
    When the FJ Cruiser first came out, I thought I had to have one. Took a couple of test drives and decided against it.

I love the looks (unique), its capability and the rugged interior. I thought it drove fine and I thought I could get past the blind spots. One of my major concerns was the back seat is a REAL PAIN to get into. It’s not very useful as a back seat in my opinion.

So for me it boils down to do I need easy access to a back seat and do I need a bed.

Good Luck

Ps. Either way I don’t think you’ll be too disappointed they are both nice vehicles.

10. Dec 29, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    jmdaniel

jmdaniel Has A Well Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Leander, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 CrewMax, 1977 FJ40 Landcruiser
    Here is my input. I had this:

[​IMG]

Sold it because I always loved FJs, and bought this:

[​IMG]

Dumbass move on my part. The interior is crap, which scratches when you so much as breathe on it. It really didn't replace the hauling potential of my pickup, and my dogs hated it, (they told me so).

Traded it in on this:

[​IMG]

And bought a real FJ:

[​IMG]

All is good, and my dogs have started talking to me again. :rolleyes:

11. Dec 29, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I wheel regularly with an FJC club.

FJC's have me beat on getting around corners and not worrying about the butt end. They also have rubber flooring, and carrying around gear is nicer since you have an enclosed storage space.

I beat the FJCs with a truck bed and a simpler rear suspension. I also have better looks ;). That truck bed is a huge consideration - I don't need a roof rack for the nastier, sharper gear (shovel, etc.), and I don't immediately need a trailer for work (gravel, barkdust) or play (dirtbikes)

I think the blind spots aren't much of an issue for trails. You are looking forward for the most part, and have a spotter for whatever else.

12. Dec 29, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    seanzor

seanzor Desert Rat

Member:
    I drive an FJ a couple times a month offroad and I have to say. I actually like the feeling of driving an FJ more than a Taco. It could be just the stock vs. stock feeling of both but I feel more capable in a stock FJ (Pack #2 with 6MT, Atrac, Locker) than a stock TRD OR. But I think at that point its mostly preference.
    Every door on the FJ opens super big and makes it nicer for getting carseats and kids into the backseat than front opening doors. The downward opening direction makes it so that the driver and passenger have to do most of the work closing the doors, but thats fine.
    Blind spots. Semi annoying at first, but nothing I wasn't used to after driving a regular cab truck with a cap on it. Wide angle blind spot mirrors on the rearview mirrors do the trick.
    Love both vehicles. Its more about what you want and what you need in a vehicle.
    You want arguably the most capable Offroad vehicle out of the factory, the OR FJC can be the vehicle with some cool styling and fun handling. Blind spots and back seats you get used to unless you're a stubborn coot.
    If you want an Offroad capable truck with a bed and some extra seating, maybe the TRD OR DC may be the better choice.

13. Dec 29, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    Since you mentioned towing in your post, I would suggest the Tacoma. With the Off-Road package, you should also get the tow package, which will increase your tow weight from 5000 pounds to 6500. You also get a heavier alternator, oil cooler, tranny cooler, and heavier braking.

14. Dec 29, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    seanzor

seanzor Desert Rat

Member:
    Not True. FJs have Discs Front (4 piston front) and Rear (2 piston).

15. Dec 29, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    I think he was talking about the brakes on the TRD OR packaged tacomas comapred to the base tacoma models.

16. Dec 29, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    I know someone who loved the FJ, bought it basically on the spot and then 6 months later took a huge loss in trade because she was sick of not being able to see out of it and the odd back doors. Something about them not swinging completely open just killed her. She's the only FJ owner I know personally.

Granted, she was using it as a DD and not as an offroad truck, but my truck is my DD and I'm glad I didn't go with an FJ.

17. Dec 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    ycart1201

ycart1201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC TRD Sport 4x4 - My build is underway
    Current Project: 2016 DC TRD Sport 4x4
    I looked at the fj too... but decided I like my trucks bed way more than i enjoy attaching my trailer so I opted to stay w/ the taco. When it came time to upgrade my wife's rig, I again looked at the FJ... after driving it and seeing how it would (or wouldnt) work with two kids, we went with a sport edition 4runner. Im happy with my decision. I figure if I win the lottery, id go for an fj to put in the 3rd bay of the garage.:D

18. Dec 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    DCW

DCW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Reno, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD DC Off Road
    TRD exhaust, front skidplate,5100s@1.75
    I just traded in my FJ for the Tacoma. I was very happy with the FJ (07). I put Icon lift on it to stiffen the ride a bit and put 285/70-17 on it. You can take a hose to the interior to clean it out with it being all rubber inside. I guess I wanted something with a little more creature comforts inside so I bought the DD Off Road I love my truck but you cant go wrong with the FJ.

19. Dec 31, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    k20me

k20me [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    BroCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner
    Thanks for all the replies. The more I think about it, the more I see that I would rather have the bed for camping situations. I am already searching for a 2010/2011 Tacoma 4x4 Off-Road DC. Only thing now is what color to get.

Products Discussed in

To Top