1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions on how i want to mount kayaks?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by smokey_yota, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mar 13, 2018 at 2:00 AM
    smokey_yota

smokey_yota [OP] #FNGFTMFL

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma
    Prinsu Roof Rack Trail Gear Front Bumper Raceline Wheels Toyo AT3 Tires Fiberwerx Fiberglass Fenders And +4" Bedsides HELLA HID Bumper/Ditch Lights Rago Fabrication Ditch Light Brackets Bilstien Front Suspension Energy Suspension Bushings/Sway Bar End Links
    plan on getting 2 kayaks (~10') for me and my girl at some point for this summer. instead of buying a kayak mount or something, i plan on just using the stock rack and my bedrack/RTT. as you can see, the top of the tent, and the rack sit pretty much at the same level. im planning on having the kayaks laying flat from the stock roof rack to the tent. and securing the kayaks to the roof rack and bed rack. what are you thoughts? seem like a sturdy enough idea? pros/cons?

**EDIT** I know someone will bring up the fact that the cab and bed need to be able to flex separately. when i say that i will secure the kayaks to the roof rack and bed rack, i plan on using bungies to secure them to the bed rack to allow the small amount of flex without damaging the kayaks, and ratchet straps for the roof rack.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Mar 13, 2018 at 3:26 AM
    Ares

Ares Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darek
    Hamilton , ON
    Vehicle:
    2015 LTD DCLB
    Whatever kayaks you get make sure the roof rack is wide enough to accommodate them laying flat.

I have 2 10’ fishing kayaks and I use TracRac with 65” crossbars to transport them flat.

smokey_yota[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 13, 2018 at 3:41 AM
    smokey_yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma
    Prinsu Roof Rack Trail Gear Front Bumper Raceline Wheels Toyo AT3 Tires Fiberwerx Fiberglass Fenders And +4" Bedsides HELLA HID Bumper/Ditch Lights Rago Fabrication Ditch Light Brackets Bilstien Front Suspension Energy Suspension Bushings/Sway Bar End Links
    you happen to have a pic of your setup?

4. Mar 13, 2018 at 4:59 AM
    Ares

Ares Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darek
    Hamilton , ON
    Vehicle:
    2015 LTD DCLB
    Here is one and also checkout this thread

IMG_1796[1].jpg

5. Mar 13, 2018 at 7:52 AM
    cvisinho

cvisinho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport DCSB new frame edition
    Bilstein 5100's, Eibach springs, Cali Raised Amber fogs,Cali Raised side projecting ditch lights, 17" gunmetal trd pro reps w/ falken wildpeaks, MESO interior lighting, Alpine ilx Android auto head unit, rear view camera, blue sea fuse panel, mbrp cat back, Morimoto retros in Depos, Ranch cap, triple black clazzios, DIY thin lip satoshi with FJ letters, oem roof rack, AJT climate knobs, slim sub behind rear seat, fosgate speakers all around, thule cap rack
    I fit 2- 8' yaks on my oem rack with foldable J's. Flat was not an option. But they do stay put very well.

6. Mar 13, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    smokey_yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma
    i honestly didnt know the J mount things folded. might just go that route now

7. Mar 13, 2018 at 4:38 PM
    3X4X4

3X4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    KS
    Vehicle:
    2006 Indigo Ink Blue TRD O/R
    Snug Top, Toytec Ultimate Lift, SPC control arms, N-Fab light bar with Hella DL, Yakima rack, factory locker, Cooper AT3 265X75X16, TRD exhaust and front skid
    Yakima J type. Yes they fold down. One of the advantages of the round cross bars.

J

8. Mar 13, 2018 at 4:54 PM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    Strap em down like you intend and enjoy!

9. Mar 13, 2018 at 4:58 PM
    3X4X4

3X4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    KS
    Vehicle:
    2006 Indigo Ink Blue TRD O/R
    Snug Top, Toytec Ultimate Lift, SPC control arms, N-Fab light bar with Hella DL, Yakima rack, factory locker, Cooper AT3 265X75X16, TRD exhaust and front skid
    Some kayaks cannot be strapped down upside down as it will destroy the hulls or at least deform them. The OK Scrambler 11 carries fine upside down but my OK Scupper Pro and Wilderness Tarpon 120 or my wife's OK Tetra 10 or my Emotion 10 really must be carried either right side up in a cradle or on the side in a J cradle.

J

10. Mar 14, 2018 at 2:49 AM
    smokey_yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma
    actually glad you said something about that. i will definitely have to look into it once i decide which ones to get. didnt even think about the possibility of it. thanks for the heads up!

Products Discussed in

To Top