1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions on planned suspension combo

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by wi_taco, May 17, 2021.

1. May 17, 2021 at 12:01 PM
    wi_taco

wi_taco [OP] My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Looking for opinions on a planned upgrade before I pull the trigger because money don't grow on trees and I don't want to do this twice.

Current setup on my 2015 TRD DCSB: Bilstein 6112 up front with 600lb coils on zero setting, Toyota OEM 4 leaf (TSB?) packs and Bilstein 5160 in the rear. I also have a Leer 100XR camper shell, a customer drawer/platform built out of 1/2 plywood that will weigh 100+ lbs, will sometimes carry a kayak on the shell using Yakima crossbars, and plan to add a rear bumper and bolt-on sliders (4xInnovations) in near future. Plan to always carry 100lbs in the drawer/platform system so I'm assuming it's a good 400-500lbs over stock at all times.

Planning to do Deaver U402 Expedition Stage 2 leafs in the rear with Archive Stealth HD U-bolt flip kit and one of the bumpstop options. From that will adjust the front Bilstein 6112's to get the desired rake/leveling. I know up front that the rear 5160 shocks will be a limiting factor but I keep it mostly on the street so this shouldn't be an issue for the immediate future.

Main concerns are that I keep the lift to a minimum because the overhead door on my garage is super low, and that I get back to a more leveled-out configuration so my headlights don't blind people with these saggy OE leafs.

Choosing the Deavers because OME is reported to squeak and flatten, Icon RXT isn't as robust, and others are just inferior. Also considering a custom pack from Alcan or others but the U402 seems like a good off-the-shelf option that is widely available.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated, thanks!

Edit 5/18: Somehow I missed that Dobinsons has rear leafs and most people are very happy with them. These might win over the Deavers but I need to read more first.

Edit 8/6: Changed my mind, Deaver U402 stage 1 currently in the lead. I also now have TacomaWorld-itis and considering MT rear shocks in future. My poor sad wallet.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  2. May 17, 2021 at 12:07 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    If you want to stay stock height and all of your weight is going to be on the rear in the bed and cantilevered off the back on the bumper (spare tire, jerry cans, etc), why not just get some air bags? Especially since you "keep it mostly on the street".

Firestone Ride-Rite airbags and Daystar cradles. This way you can adjust for when you load up with the kayaks, full cooler, firewood, etc and when unloaded you can have the perfect ride height without risking the ability to fit in the garage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FEOSJY/
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084ROJBM/

3. May 17, 2021 at 12:31 PM
    wi_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Thanks I've considered options like airbags or AAL but have decided I want to go full leaf pack. OE springs aren't going to get any better over time and to me bags are a band-aid. Just my preference.

A small bit of lift will be OK and I can still fit in the garage. I don't absolutely need to stay stock height, just my preference to stay relatively close (i.e. no more than 2" if I can pull it off) so I don't cause other problems that are common when lifting like driveline vibes or harsh CV angles.

4. May 17, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    With the requirement of 0-2" lift and that weight capacity, I'd give Alcan a call and talk to them. I'm going through the same process right now with having a camper on my truck. When it's "empty" (Fridge, camper, tools) I have adjusted the lights, but when I load up for a longer trip, I have 1" up-travel.

I'm still considering airbags since I have the stock leaves + the Icon progressive 3-leaf AAL pack.

5. May 17, 2021 at 1:46 PM
    wi_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Thanks. I'm keeping Alcan in mind but for now Deaver U402 still seems to be the best option I can find for the application that is an off-the-shelf offering. That's not to say a custom pack is any better/worse/indifferent just more readily available from multiple vendors.

6. May 18, 2021 at 12:03 AM
    SpensirG

SpensirG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Milton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    19 Cement TRDOR 6MT
    I've got the Baja kit on mine, which is essentially 6112's with 650# springs, set to 1.5" over stock in the front with 5160's in the back. I have Deaver u402 stage 2's as well. Currently I've got 400lbs loaded in the bed using ammo cans filled with sand. I was going to use this as a temporary solution until I decide on either a GFC or a super pacific camper but I still have a pretty aggressive rake on the truck. I think I might swap back to my stock Leafs, potentially with an AAL just so I can take out all of the unnecessary weight and level the truck out.

wi_taco[OP] likes this.
  7. May 18, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    wi_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Very interesting thanks for the info. Interesting that you would still have that much rake with those settings and I'm not planning to lift the front that much if I can help it. Any photos to show the rake? Looks like you've got a 3rd gen so I'm not sure hub-to-fender measurements would compare to mine but if you've got them would be interested.

SpensirG[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 18, 2021 at 5:12 PM
    SpensirG

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Milton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    19 Cement TRDOR 6MT
    Driveway is slanted so I’m not sure if this’ll be 100% accurate, but, this is with 400lbs of sand in the bed. EF6B8CFF-54EF-4513-BFA5-CCB4BD0166E9.jpg

wi_taco[OP] likes this.
  9. May 18, 2021 at 7:48 PM
    wi_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Thanks for sharing that photo really helps. I’ve been reading some more and thinking maybe the Dobinsons leaf packs are better suited for my goals (didn’t know about them until today so they weren’t on my radar). Decisions, decisions…

10. May 18, 2021 at 9:07 PM
    SpensirG

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Milton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    19 Cement TRDOR 6MT
    These are the stage 2's though, so maybe stage 1 would be better suited?

11. May 19, 2021 at 5:28 AM
    wi_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    That’s a possibility. From what I can tell Dobinsons middle leaf pack has the option to remove a leaf and make it into the lighter duty pack. Again I have to do more reading but that seems like it could be a good option as I could install as stage 1 and if it’s not enough I can put in the stage 2 leaf.

Edit: never mind I see what you are saying. Deaver stage 1 could be an option too.

SpensirG[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 20, 2023 at 9:32 AM
    VA SOFTACO

VA SOFTACO ...because who buys hard tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Beauregard
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma MGM OR DCSB
    What did you end up going with? Any photos of the what it sits? Any complaints?

13. Feb 20, 2023 at 12:03 PM
    wi_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Ended up going with Fox Performance Elite 2.5" + 600lb springs in front, and the same Fox PES 2.5" shocks + Deaver U402 Stage 2 leafs in back, along with an Archive U bolt flip and yellow bump stops. Has worked out very well so far. Not quite perfect yet but that's just fine-tuning everything to how I want it. I have plenty of details in my build thread starting at post #115 if you want some additional reading.

Here's how it looked right after installation. I adjusted the front preload down a little so it had a tiny bit of rake, then the coils finally broke in and now front is down a little further. I was waiting on installing other things like bumpers and skids and then I'll tweak the preload again to get it where I want it. Overall about 2-2.5" lift both front and back. Deavers gave more than 2.5" lift even with camper shell and custom drawer/platform system but now after then are worn in I love how they ride.

gq6VARe.jpg

VA SOFTACO[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Feb 20, 2023 at 1:23 PM
    Nomad426

Nomad426 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    South West Houston Tx
    Vehicle:
    2019 Trd Off Road
    Ome Lift, Icon Leafs, Safari Snorkel, Bronze trd 4frunner wheels
    Looks sharp, are you planning on adding bumpers down the line?

wi_taco[OP] likes this.
  15. Feb 20, 2023 at 1:25 PM
    wi_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Thanks, yeah I already have a rear bumper (pending paint & install come springtime), and will be adding a front bumper + winch + lightbar in the future.

Products Discussed in

To Top