1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions on this 2001 Xtracab V6 for purchase

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dawgcatching, May 2, 2015.

1. May 2, 2015 at 9:37 PM
    dawgcatching

dawgcatching [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi, first time post. Been reading up for awhile now on older Tacomas, I recently sold my 2014 Tacoma double cab as it was a little too nice for a truck! I wanted to stick with a Tacoma but get something a bit more basic for using at work and to transport stuff. I have a car for family duty.

I went into the Toyota dealer to look at a used 2007 Access cab, but they had a really clean 2001 Xtracab 5mt 3.4L they just took on trade, 2 owner truck, 167k miles. I obviously don't know anything about the previous owner, and all the Carfax has is the full timing belt service at 155k, plus recent oil changes; is that late of a service a red flag? I know it is recommended at 90k. I am hoping fluids were done regularly.

Aside from that, the truck looks to be in amazing shape. They had yet to detail it and it was in showroom condition: paint couldn't have been better, interior was flawless. It has a 2" lift, and Bilsteins: pretty rough ride for highway duty, but I can work on that down the road. Matching canopy, bed liner.

They will sell it to me for $10,200 after throwing on new tires and a full fluid flush+detail. Is this a good bet, or keep looking?

It has a tow setup installed, not sure if it was factory or not, this is the base model. If it is aftermarket, what would the tow rating be?photo%2015_a22a4ca3c8e6ed67449ac0a19d84869af3c6b568.jpg

2. May 2, 2015 at 10:22 PM
    geedub55

geedub55 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    in the woods near Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport 4wd
    Call the previous owner. I've both called and received calls like that, and you can learn a lot.

3. May 3, 2015 at 1:39 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Used vehicles have a regional market is that a fair price for your area??

One thing I do know these trucks if priced right don`t sit long

Take it for a ride make sure every thing works.

I doubt it is really a red flag unless you have baby racoons under the seats and squirrels in the glove compartment

4. May 3, 2015 at 5:40 AM
    PhdNPrerunners

PhdNPrerunners Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Sounds like a pretty good price to me. I don't know how you would call the previous owners because I doubt the dealer will give you their information. I've been looking at craigslist daily for about a month and that trucks seems to be a good price.

5. May 3, 2015 at 5:43 AM
    Old School

Old School You are ignoring covfefe by this member.

Member:
    Have you checked the frame for rust?
    I couldn't tell where you're from...

6. May 3, 2015 at 6:00 AM
    Tinmann

Tinmann Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Unless that truck came from a part of Oregon (and I'm assuming Oregon as it has Oregon license plates) that snows and they use salt on the roads, that'd be my concern. The dealership can tell you what part of Oregon the previous owner resided if you ask them without giving his name or address if you explain your concerns about frame rust.

To answer your question, that's a good deal. As mentioned, prices are regional and anything from the West Coast will bring a premium. But not having other pictures to look at, it looks very clean! Having the timing belt changed at that mileage is fine, at least it was changed.

It won't sit on the lot for any length of time as the Gen 1 Tacoma is well sought after, especially one that looks nice, maintained and is an extended or double cab truck. Good luck and hopefully this helps you out.

7. May 3, 2015 at 9:44 AM
    dawgcatching

dawgcatching [OP] Member

Member:
    Thank you. No salt here in Oregon, just pumice. Rock chips instead of rust.

Drives really well. Dealer is reputable, they are going to do a full inspection tomorrow. I will get in there with a flashlight as well. The price seemed very reasonable for this area; there are 3x as many Tacos on Craigslist for this area of 150k population as there are on the Kansas City Craigslist, serving an area 15x the population. 1 out of every 5 vehicles on the road is a Tacoma around here it seems.

8. May 3, 2015 at 9:53 AM
    WildLand

WildLand Does Ursus arctos defecate in deciduous forest?

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra
    Either the grill or side lights have been replaced. Either the grill was black before with the matching sidelights or the sidelights were chrome before with the matching grill. Since there is no front emblem as it looks, I'm thinking the grill was changed but that shouldn't be a red flag

9. May 3, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    roehoe72

roehoe72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 dc prerunner v6 trd
    From the looks of it, you got yourself a good deal. Better jump in if it checks out good. Front end DOES raise some flags. Why no emblem, why black painted marker lights. Id look all around under the hood, front bumper for any signs of front end collision.... Timing belt at 150? Like the other guy mentioned, atleast it's done. 170k on my original belt.. Still runs fine.. Check the vin stickers on the hood and fenders to make sure they match...

10. May 3, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    WildLand

WildLand Does Ursus arctos defecate in deciduous forest?

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra
    I bet the old person just wanted a chrome grill instead of a black one and those emblems are like 25 bucks each so didn't bother putting one on. But you never know!

11. May 3, 2015 at 6:13 PM
    roehoe72

roehoe72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 dc prerunner v6 trd
    Yeah, most likely. Op, dont take my post as negative. Just trying to help... Wildland could be correct.

12. May 4, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    dawgcatching

dawgcatching [OP] Member

Member:

Thanks! I appreciate it. The car was in a minor accident in 2002, rear 1/4 panel was reworked and repainted. Front end is clean, no evidence of damage or respray. No frame rust either.

also has an AFE cold air intake, pretty common on older Tacomas?

Products Discussed in

To Top