1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions wanted: 4WD vs. PreRunner

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DavidL, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Jul 11, 2008 at 10:26 PM
    DavidL

DavidL [OP] Member

Member:
    I am in the market for a first-gen Tacoma for 99% pavement and daily driving use. However, I also enjoy camping and getting off of the beaten path occasionally. I would like to have a vehicle that could take me into most of the roads and trails on a forest-service map in the desert southwest or the Rockies, but not necessarily for rock-crawling.

Can a 2WD PreRunner with e-locker be useful off-road for forest roads and trails, and what would be its limitations? I drove some forest roads in CO a few years back in 4WD with a stock Cherokee -- had a blast and would like to do some more of that. Do you think a 2WD would reach its limitations pretty quickly, such as on steep climbs or somewhat rocky sections of trail? Again, I don't have a desire to do anything radical, just don't want to get stuck or have to depend on others along the trail.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

David

2. Jul 11, 2008 at 10:31 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Well it looks like the 4wd would be more useful, cuz i can see it in your head now " I wonder if my truck can do that" but from what it seems the 2wd would be some fun for you also.

3. Jul 11, 2008 at 10:33 PM
    deadbolt

deadbolt do w3rk!

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab 6spd 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Black Headlights, HIDs, Tinted Fogs, Powdercoated Black Wheels, 5100s @ 2.5", Diff drop, AFE Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Black Emblems/Grille, LED Tail lights, 265/75/16s Good Year Duratracs
  4. Jul 11, 2008 at 10:56 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    You'd be surprised at what a locked Prerunner will do.

5. Jul 12, 2008 at 5:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The Prerunner with a locker is pretty capable.... But if you're in any doubt, get the 4WD. You don't wanna be exploring a dirt path and be saying to yourself "I should've bought the 4WD"

6. Jul 12, 2008 at 5:19 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    :) Amen!! to that.

7. Jul 12, 2008 at 6:13 AM
    DavidL

DavidL [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks deadbolt for that thread. It was immensely helpful. It showed me that there are many different perceptions of what "off-roading" is (to some it means the beach, to some it means mud, snow, etc.). I will not be persuing mud or snow or ice, but I will be going on mountain forest roads in the Rockies where a few feet separate you from the edge of the trail and a near-vertical drop of maybe, oh, a few hundred feet I would guess? Maybe more? Bottom line for me is, I would rather have the low-range and crawling ability of 4WD to get me through obstacles than relying on momentum in situations like that. Definitely don't want to be carrying speed on those tight mountain trails. Thanks again for that link.

8. Jul 12, 2008 at 6:24 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    ... but for the one percent of your time ? I would think that a prerunner would suite your needs just fine. Put on a nice set of all terrain tires and always go with friends, you'll be fine.

9. Jul 12, 2008 at 10:19 AM
    tnt136913

tnt136913 Member

Member:
    pre runner plus carry along winch , take u any place a 4x4 will go, thats my setup, plus a lot less maintenance

10. Jul 12, 2008 at 11:25 AM
    wareaglesc88

wareaglesc88 Caro-bama alliance

Member:
    Charleston, SC/Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner V6 SR5 TowPkg
    My badass in the driver's seat
  11. Jul 12, 2008 at 11:38 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You might be right about the *less maintenance* part... but, if you're gonna compare anything - then we've gotta go EXTREME capabilities.

If you took a Prerunner with a locker & winch.....and whatever else you could upgrade it with to make it more capable (minus the front drive components).

& competed it againest:

A 4x4 with a locker & winch...and whatever else you could upgrade it with to make it more capable (front locker)...

I'd hate to say it - but - the 4X4 is gonna go a lot farther and faster without even using the winch.

Products Discussed in

To Top