1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Optima Yellow Top Longevity

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yurizx6r, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jan 12, 2018 at 4:42 PM
    Yurizx6r

Yurizx6r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pre Runner, TRD Sport
    I'm going to try to keep this simple on a topic that's been beat to death. I am curious to anybody who has ran an Optima Yellow top in their Tacoma, what state they live in, and how long it lasted before it needed to be replaced. I'm either going to purchase an Optima Yellow top or the Platinum whatever at Advance Auto Parts. I'm leaning toward just getting to Platinum whatever because besides perhaps doing an LED upgrade, I'm not planning on adding any Electronics to my truck anytime soon. But if people say that they got more than 5 years in a Southern state from their yellow top then I may invest the money.

2. Jan 12, 2018 at 5:02 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    I had a yellow top in mine for about 4-5 years. I replaced it with a Napa Legend 800cca.

3. Jan 12, 2018 at 5:13 PM
    Yurizx6r

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What state do you live in? And I only ask that because I live in Florida and batteries here generally last two to three years.

4. Jan 12, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    WPB, FL

Yurizx6r[OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 12, 2018 at 5:45 PM
    Yurizx6r

Member:
    Vehicle:
    So what made you switch, did you not like it or something? Or did you just not feel it was worth the money?

6. Jan 12, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    Basically yeah, didn't think it was worth the extra money. I originally considered dual Optima batteries but never got there.

Yurizx6r[OP] likes this.
  7. Jan 12, 2018 at 5:56 PM
    Yurizx6r

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's the exact I answer that I was looking for. I have a stock battery in there right now, but I want to make up my mind what I'm going to switch to when it goes bad, so I don't making an uneducated decision. I've never had an issue with the red Optima top, but those are usually $180ish for all my other cars. When I saw the $300 price tag I was like...bitch please. I assume the Platinum whatever at Advance Auto Parts will be way better than the OEM battery, so I'm not worried about it. But if somebody said that they got say 5 to 7 years living in the southern state, then maybe it would be worth the investment. The platinum battery at Advance Auto Parts you can get for about a $170ish with coupon codes with a 3 year warranty. So you could almost purchased two batteries for the price of one yellow top.

8. Jan 12, 2018 at 6:58 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I've red reports from guys getting 8-10 years out of Northstar AGMs who live in the desert Southwest.

Key-Rei likes this.
  9. Jan 12, 2018 at 8:34 PM
    Yurizx6r

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Has anybody else had that experience with that battery? I mean that battery seems way overkill for my application, but if it lasts more than 5 years. I'm down.

10. Jan 17, 2018 at 5:35 PM
    White lightning boosted

White lightning boosted Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Poulsbo
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    Lift, pedal commander, led foglights, led interior lights, led back ups, led under lighting, urd tcai, led headlights, methanol injection, 76mm tb, hood struts, dif breather mod, ratiotek trans kit, x-series gauges, true cool trans cooler, belt wrap mod, 2.8 pulley
    I bought an optima red top in 02. Got 14 years out of it. Might have gone further but I killed it listening to tunes with my lights on. Oops.

11. Jan 17, 2018 at 5:39 PM
    Yurizx6r

Member:
    Vehicle:
  12. Jan 18, 2018 at 3:14 AM
    fxntime

fxntime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma off road TRD and 2014 FJC
    Old Optimas were great, now ones.............well, they moved production to Mexico and their quality went straight to hell. Got 8 years out of the first, just a bit over two out of the new ''Mexican'' one. Heard the same thing numerous times.

medic2230 likes this.
  13. Jan 18, 2018 at 3:21 AM
    10tacosr5

10tacosr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Washington Twp, South NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5 DCLB
    5100s/Headstrong Coils/Deaver AAL/Level8 MK6/FalkenWildpeakAT3
    I've always had yellow tops in my cars. Just put one in my taco a couple months ago when my Toyota battery took a shit. Paid right around $220 after my discount from autozone. Longest I've had one was 5 years in my old civic. Im in jersey by the way.

14. Jan 18, 2018 at 3:53 AM
    Glocker23

Glocker23 Drive fast take chances

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill, Aero AT2525 muffler
    I have red top for past 5 years or so. Been great in CT winter's to with the remote start

15. Jan 18, 2018 at 10:59 AM
    MattCowsmasher

MattCowsmasher ( -_・)ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 sporty dcsb 4wd
    Lifted, armored, lumenz w/ switches, positraked, long legged, big tars, debadged with a hood skewp
    Had a red top for 6 years in a Silverado loved it. It sat for exactly one year disconnected came back hooked it up truck fired no issue sold me on optima.

Yurizx6r[OP] likes this.
  16. Jan 18, 2018 at 11:05 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    I had a Die Hard Platinum and that only lasted 3 years for me. I've heard hit or miss with optima batteries, but good things with the northstar AGM's but they are pricey.

If you're sucked into Optima marketing, Costco occassionally has Optima Red Tops on sale for under $100.

I have the interstate battery from Costco b/c the costco warranty is painless.

17. Jan 18, 2018 at 11:15 AM
    YamaDirtrider

YamaDirtrider Custom bumpers @FORT-ifyRigs

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Elizabeth CO
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB sport postrunner
    What hasn't been modified?
    This.

I had a yellow top die just before the 3 year warranty. Spent 1.5 years in FL the rest in CO, the new one is still going good now but only about 1 year old.

I have a blue top that has been resold at least 2x that is still going good and it’s goyta be 8+ years old, made in Aurora CO

Honestly I wouldent wast my money again on optima, go with a quality agm

Yurizx6r[OP] likes this.
  18. Jan 18, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    Jeffch

Jeffch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 off road
    Running 285/75/16s
    Wasn’t impressed with mine!
    Only time I’ve been stranded. Good thing it’s a standard.
    Long story battery was older when I bought it new! Killed it a few 3-4 I’d say times my fault. Less than 2 yrs and a bad cell.
    Advance wouldn’t cover it ended up with a auto crap agm.
    It’s been a awesome battery pretty impressed.

19. Jan 18, 2018 at 5:12 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    I'll answer the question you didn't ask. My Duralast Platinum AGM from AutoZone took a dump 3 months after the 3 year warranty ended. Most of that time garaged in Texas. I went back to the cheaper battery with a better warranty.

Yurizx6r[OP] likes this.
  20. Jan 18, 2018 at 6:40 PM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    I had red tops in all of my 4x4's many years ago and experienced everything from the usual 4 year range to 1 or 2 that lasted 6-7 and maybe even 8 in the Texas heat. But more often it became roughly 4 years, as they were replaced, which is what just an average old battery seems to last. So, now I just buy a decent battery from the auto parts or walmart and call it good and I get the same lifespan out of them, and what seems like the same performance, for less money. vehicles have so much more electronic demands these days that combined with the heat here, I just don't know that paying a lot for a battery is really worth it anymore. Weather I pay more or less I still seem to get the same amount of life out of them. I go through this same train of thought every time I need a new one and it's getting easier to just get a cheaper one as time has proven to me it just doesn't really seem to matter. Maybe others have different experiences, but for me, paying 100 or less every 4 years has felt like the wiser choice.

JGO and Roostfactor like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top