1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Optima Yellow Top Longevity

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yurizx6r, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jan 19, 2018 at 11:21 AM
    taco06

taco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    pomona ,California
    Vehicle:
    06 sprt
    I can't let the wife know
    8 years on a yellow top. Live in California. When my yellow top died, and found out it's made in Mexico ( a lot of bad reviews) I switched to a Bosch AGM.

Yurizx6r[OP] likes this.
  2. Jan 20, 2018 at 8:49 PM
    White lightning boosted

White lightning boosted Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Poulsbo
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    Lift, pedal commander, led foglights, led interior lights, led back ups, led under lighting, urd tcai, led headlights, methanol injection, 76mm tb, hood struts, dif breather mod, ratiotek trans kit, x-series gauges, true cool trans cooler, belt wrap mod, 2.8 pulley
    I'm understanding new optimas aren't as good as the old ones. I won't buy one. I'll go with an oddessy or whatever O'Reilly sells. I'll also be packing a mini jump start battery from Costco. in the event I'm remote and need a jump.

3. Jan 21, 2018 at 3:44 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I don’t think that kind of money for a battery is worth it, unless you really need one for extra power like winches and such. Batteries seem to be hit or miss with longevity. A decent brand with a good warranty. I just picked up a Duralast gold with a 5 year warranty, with rebate it’s $125.

Yurizx6r[OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 21, 2018 at 3:56 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Florida res here, I have an X2 Power battery (Northstar AGM rebrand) that I bought from batteries plus roughly six years ago, I've wheeled hard with it, jumped started many vehicles with it, run all kinds of crazy accessories off it, and regularly use it to run a fan, charge my phone and camera over night while camping.

It's still going strong and had one of the best battery warranties I've seen.

I highly highly recommend X2 Power / Northstar AGM.

Also it's a G34 battery that has more capacity and higher CCA than the factory G27 Toyota battery.

Also Toyota batteries are made by interstate FWIW.

:thumbsup:

5. Jan 21, 2018 at 5:12 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    For the vast majority of people, a dead battery is a pretty minor inconvenience. Sure, you call in to work and let them know you're waiting on the spouse or neighbor to run you to autozone or whatever. The warranty is more important than the battery for these folks - just go get a replacement.

For those of us who use our vehicles to access remote places (and sometimes those remote places are a jumping off point for the real adventure), a dead battery can be a serous event. When I come off of a river or a trail and get into my truck that's parked 50 miles of remote dirt road from the nearest town, I NEED it to start. I'm already tired and hungry. And I really don't want to eat the MRE that's under the seat before hiking to wherever the nearest cell service might be.

This is why I went with the X2/ Northstar AGM

Products Discussed in

To Top