1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Out of power

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by garrettski, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Apr 23, 2009 at 6:31 AM
    garrettski

garrettski [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Truckee CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2 ten in JL, 5100s, flowmaster 40.
    BFG allterrains, 2 ten inch JL w3,alpine v power amp,alpine cda-9886, bilstein 5100, flowmaster 40.
    I was testing a ground in my truck so i stuck the clamp on the bolt and put the needle in my cigarette lighter, it sparked and now both lighters wont work.
    After checking every single fuse and relay in my truck i have not found the problem.
    Any suggestions would be awsome!

2. Apr 23, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    What needle? From a meter? Was the needle connected to the the clamp also?

Double check both fuse locations. It is possible you vaporized a wire.

3. Apr 23, 2009 at 6:52 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Its probably the fuse.

4. Apr 23, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    garrettski

garrettski [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Truckee CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2 ten in JL, 5100s, flowmaster 40.
    BFG allterrains, 2 ten inch JL w3,alpine v power amp,alpine cda-9886, bilstein 5100, flowmaster 40.
    ya the needle was from a meter.

5. Apr 23, 2009 at 7:30 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    did u check the fuse box under the dash? i know most ppl forget about that one

6. Apr 23, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Okay I'm looking at the wiring diagrams and theres only a couple things it could be:

First of all, does your dimmer work? Turn on your lights and check the interior dimmer for proper operation. This will help in the troubleshooting process. If the dimmer works, you can theoretically rule out most of the latter steps prescribed here.

1. Check the 15A PWR OUTLET fuse. Even if it looks good, replace it or use a meter to test its continuity. Some fuses look good but still are blown. Judging by the schematic this is about 80% likely to be the problem.

2. Double check the ACC (7.5A) fuse, this fuse controls the ACC SKT relay used to enable your lighters/power outlet when the truck is on.

2. Next check the ACC SKT relay, chances are this is good, but sometimes one pole on a dual pole, dual throw relay can be bad.

3. Check ground point IA located in the left kick panel.

4. Look at plug J1 pin 1, inspect its condition and check the overall circuit for continuity. Pin 1 is the top left pin if you're looking at the pins with the lock tab facing up. I'm not sure of its location, but judging by the schematic, I would think its very close to the grounding point IA

This is a pretty good account of all the things it could be. Its a very simple circuit, both lighters are tied together, so you can rule out anything near the lighters/power outlets, as they are tied together at the ACC SKT relay, and the J1 connector in the kick panel.

Good luck.... I would double check that fuse! If you have any trouble locating fuses, I think they're in the manual, but I'm pretty sure both I gave you here are under the hood, drivers side. I just spent about 30 minutes going through about 20 pages of schematics for you, hope it helps!

Products Discussed in

To Top