1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

outer leading hood is.......

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by brelandt, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Sep 26, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    brelandt

brelandt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    lifting and flutters up and down at highway speeds. Mine has done it since brand new. Hadn't seen anyone mention it around here. Just wondering if every bodies 1st gen is doing this and if so has anyone tried stopping it? Looks like it will fly open at any second but never has. :eek:

2. Sep 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    There are two places that could easily be the problem.
    The cushions or the latch

How much is it moving? There should be two locking points with the hood, the main lock released from inside the cab and the safety lock released under the hood. I have seen it where the safety latch gets a little bent and gets pushed back behind the locking point in the hood, causing it not to engage. If thats the case, just bend it back a little and you should be good. I've also seen where the cushions are adjusted too high so the main latch wont engage with out completely slamming the hood down, even causing the hood to randomly pop up to the safety catch while driving.

Anyway, you can find instructions on how to adjust each one of those in the FSM:

I think I'd start with the cushions since they're the easiest and allow the most room for adjustment. Just move them up a bit until they're just making contact with the hood when its locked and give it little more of a turn so its compressed a little when locked.

Products Discussed in

To Top