1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overfilled power steering reservoir

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bigmooze, May 6, 2010.

1. May 6, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    I had my power steering fluid flushed today. The dealership performed the work.

When I got home, the fluid was topped up pretty high in the reservoir, over half an inch high above the max line.

I carefully removed some of the excess fluid.

What are the problems with too much fluid? I just assumed it was too much, being over the MAX line and all.

No problems (feeling, noises) experienced while fluid was high.

Input appreciated, thanks.

2. May 6, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    a whole HALF INCH!!! good thing you used care when removing the excess fluid...!!

no big deal dude....move on, nothing to see here....

EDIT: this is why you do everything on your truck yourself...

3. May 6, 2010 at 8:53 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    Be careful how fast you turn the wheel. The extra fluid gives extra pressure in the system. If you turn to fast you could blow out the power steering lines, damage the pump or possibly even blow out the entire rack and pinion.

Or you could totally be fine. =P no big deal

4. May 8, 2010 at 4:29 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    It shouldn't be any issue. The line is used to ensure there is enough room in the resivoir for the fluid to expand when hot. No extra pressure should be produced as the system is hydraulic and will only produce the amount of pressure that the power steering pump will allow.

5. May 8, 2010 at 5:31 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Was the truck cold or hot?

Assuming you just got home from the dealer, the truck was HOT.

So, what LINE did you use on the dipstick? There are TWO separate lines. A COLD mark and a HOT mark.

I would check the fluid again when the truck is COLD (sitting overnight for instance). Take notice to the COLD mark and make sure the fluid is atleast up to that COLD mark.

If by chance you were looking at the wrong mark and removed fluid, you might not have enough fluid.

6. May 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    I have checked the fluid both hot and cold after removing the excess. The reservoir is translucent with MIN and MAX marks on the side. There is no dipstick. So far the level has remained at MAX but I will continue to monitor it closely over the next couple of weeks.

7. May 8, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    mortuusangelus

mortuusangelus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    no truck now :(
    Translucent reservoir? You sure you're not talking about the brakes? (Though at least in the 1st gens, I believe the brake res/master cylinder were hooked to the power steering pump, guess as an assist or something.)

I've never seen a translucent/plastic PS reservoir.. they've usually been black at least, most times metal.

8. May 8, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    :eek: <<< This is me, very embarassed.

All along I have been talking about the brake fluid. I am ashamed to say it.

So, power steering fluid level looks awesome, and brake fluid reads maximum.

Is there a possible reason for the brake fluid to have been higher than max? The brakes feel fine.

9. May 8, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Higher than max is fine. As long as you don't fill it up to the tippy top at the same time as you press on the brakes - you're fine. ;)

10. May 8, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    And the power steering reservoir is transparent as well - for the record.

11. May 8, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    this. and my PS fluid is a little over max when hot. Hasn't hurt anything yet.

Products Discussed in

To Top