1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OVTune 3.5L Tacoma Supercharger and Twin Turbo Systems

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by OVTune, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 13, 2020 at 10:51 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune

even more versions than I was aware of.

I know the newer ones are electronic gated, and larger.

but still smaller than the powermax ^_^

2. Jan 13, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    Sleipnir

Sleipnir Still havent found that stupid snipe

Member:
    First Name:
    I'm a horse
    Asgard
    Vehicle:
    Furd Rangero Ecoboost
    The 18 have bigger compressor wheels. Some guys were able to tune the 17 vs 18+ and was able to flow about 5#/min of air more with intake, exhaust, intercoolers and 93 octane. Both trucks were running the same mods.

Have you guys thought about electronic wastegates yet? :D turbosmart just released some that would be crazy to see on these trucks

Lord Helmet likes this.
  3. Jan 13, 2020 at 1:26 PM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    Final update until our powermax results are ready.

Due to fuel pump challenges at these higher boost levels, we are (as said previously) providing our own fuel pump controller with the kit.
    This fuel pump controller is not required with the base kit.

The fuel pump controller >
    - Plug and Play fitment to stock wiring harness.
    - Will control an in-tank 340LPH OEM fitment replacement pump
    - full PWM controller designed to provide a continuous 13amps and 30 amp burst under high demand
    - 48mhz ARM CortexM Processor with our custom fuel pump control code (which I'm working on right now) Capable of making precise duty cycle changes to the pump
    - will use the OEM duty cycle demands from the ECU to control the pump from 5 volts to 14 volts.
    - will enable full 14 volt burst, unlike stock fuel pump controller
    - Designed with components built to live the life of the truck
    - Expansion port for duty cycle demand by boost pressure (likely need for ethanol tuning)
    -micro USB port for any calibration updates necessary

This fuel pump controller will not increase the cost of the kit.

Optionally, we will sell it separate for the harrop and Magnuson S/Cs for people interested. Because I'm willing to bet they will run into some fuel pump troubles.

rando451, pinochle, Torspd and 13 others like this.
  4. Jan 13, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    Ugh, that makes those units a wee bit on the other side of ‘already damn expensive’.

5. Jan 13, 2020 at 1:33 PM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR

Such a bad ass. You're living the dream man

Gen3TacomaOBX likes this.
  6. Jan 13, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    whitedlite

whitedlite Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA!
    Vehicle:
    3RD Gen TRD 4WD
    very nice of you to not pass along the unforeseen expense to the consumer.

7. Jan 13, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    seelyartacus

seelyartacus Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport 4x4, grey, tech&tow pkg
    FNWheels six shooter matte bronze, Falken WildPeak M/T 295/70/r17, All-Pro Expedition leafs, Fox Factory 2.5 w/ res (front/rear), Icon billet UCA w/ sphericals, custom sliders, 4.56 re-gear, RCI bed rack , Tepui RTT, Prinsu Designs Cabrac, CBI T3 alum front bumper, CBI T3 rear bumper with dual swing away and tire carrier, 20in light bar, Warn VR10s winch, Factor 55 fairlead, flatlink, and hitch recovery point, All-pro alum skid, Rotopax, CMC, Timbren bump stops, rear Rigid Duallys, Rigid Dually ditch lights, ARB awning with LED lights, Currie F9 rear axle housing w/ Strange Engineering 3rd memb and ARB air locker., rear diff beather relocation, ARB compressor under hood, Bussman panel, 3d printed switch panel,OVTune ECU
    my 2 cents... if not using stock box doesn't interfere with dual battery on driver's side, I'm all for it. If it does, then I'll just have to move the batteries. But also, I only want 1 snorkel sooo...:notsure:

8. Jan 13, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    Maybe they will provide their own fuel pump solution that works right out of the box and you won't even need my controller.

G8R_Taco and Skydvrr like this.
  9. Jan 13, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    FYI here is the stock fuel pump controller.
    Using a custom chip from renesas, like Toyota always does, so reprogramming it is out of the question, and why we are making our own

IMG_20200113_1810571.jpg

10. Jan 13, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    Gen3TacomaOBX

Gen3TacomaOBX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    S
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCSB SR 4x4
    Bilstein 6112 front / 5100 rear shocks, Headstrong AAL, Firestone airbags, 4.88 gears, OME Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, remote start, any-time-backup camera w/ front facing camera, Leer 100R shell (w/e-track single slot tie-down mounts for removable Yakima EasyTop), Husky liners, window tint, heated seat (passenger only.) Relentless bed rail brackets with QuickFists (shovel & axe) Hondo Garage Un-holey vent mount. CH4x4 switch for front camera and 'anytime' rear camera. Billet front mount seat risers. Bed mounted 4 lb fire extinguisher. Viair 88p. 265/75r16 Goodyear Ultra-terrain tires. Custom Sliders.
    Damn Mat, your knowledge and speed is impressive! :bowdown:

Curious of what's up with all of the capacitors.. would guess it's either to smooth the signal or provide temporary (yet unsustainable voltage.)

Also curious of your background and how you became a Jedi. Is this fuel solution going to need real world testing and initial monitoring? or is the sort of thing where all scenarios are covered via logic and simulation?

11. Jan 13, 2020 at 3:52 PM
    420taco

420taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    PA
    gilligoon likes this.
  12. Jan 13, 2020 at 4:12 PM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    I'm dissecting the circuit on the OE fuel pump controller at the moment.
    My guess is each is for voltage smoothing for each of the 3 energizing phases of the fuel pump.

I will test it out on the dyno, and a lot of the control will be done through various logic controls. Simulation is not necessary because I can and will use the ECU to give me the data I need :). Current duty cycle demands and pressure recordings, and I can tweak my fuel controller code with my laptop right on the dyno.

A lot of this stuff honestly isn't that hard to do? I think. Like writing code on a microcontroller. It *sounds* like daunting task. But it's really not complicated. You're limited to a few statements: if, and, or. And you just think.. Well if this, do this! If that and that, do that! and write it out.
    Then you think. Okay, if fuel pressure is this, do this, if fuel pressure is this and voltage is this, do that. If voltage is this and fuel pressure is this, do this or that. etc.
    I guess it sounds easy after years of this. But it's not as hard to get into as some would imagine.

back ground... a long time ago in a galaxy far far away a friend of mine had a wrx and it lead me on a path to loving cars and loving boost. and of course my first car... Pontiac fiero. heh
    I went to school for electrical engineering ..but actually did not finish it. Most of the knowledge I have I obtained through the Yodas of this stuff.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    dskakie, MOC221_, CO_Taco125 and 14 others like this.
  13. Jan 13, 2020 at 4:34 PM
    motogeek

motogeek Taco Tueday? Tacos Everyday!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacomeat
    America
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD 4x4
    2.5 Toytech Inch Lift 285 Cooper SST
    All excited @OVTune Looking forward to the finished product. My first car was a 74 Fiat X1/9 that Fiero stole the design. I always wanted the black 88 Fiero GT though. :) My uncle gave me this X1/9 to me as my first car and show me the similarity of the Mopar Dodge 2.2 Turbo(1) motor. Swap 3 months later from a donor car, I was killing all the muscle cars in the neighbor. Super fun turbo car! I had 90 Celica All-Trac for a year as well. Probably my favorite all-wheel drive turbo car in the snow.

How about considering a casual OVTUNE TT and shop opening release party??? :)'

sorry Off Topic

Sleipnir likes this.
  14. Jan 13, 2020 at 5:48 PM
    RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro Tacoma - Voodoo Blue / 06 double cab PreRunner Turbocharged (sold)
    No wonder Gadget from urd said fuel pump was the limiting factor with the Rotrex. He usually goes for big numbers with his kits but with your explanation on what’s happening, it all makes sense. Good job Matt

Torspd likes this.
  15. Jan 13, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    gilligoon

gilligoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Goon
    Watoosa Ridge, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR DCSB
    Bilstein, ICON, Mobtown, Southern Style, Warn, SOS, Nitto, ARE, Northstar
    Sleipnir and Skydvrr like this.
  16. Jan 13, 2020 at 7:06 PM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    Yep we were not seeing this issue on lower boost or the base kit. But under very high fuel demands it's a problem.

I've finished the code design and we will test and refine it over the next few days.

17. Jan 13, 2020 at 7:37 PM
    skyking3

skyking3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma SR5 DCSB
    TRD cai, TRD cat back, JFR y pipe,Wilwood BBK,LEDs, Limited Homelink mirror,debadged,WeatherTechs,Dynamat Extreme sound deadening,sabm second snorkle to fender, Huper Optik ceramic tint, TRD Sema wheels, aerodynamic under body pan, OEM Audio Plus 500Q reference system, Depo faux pro headlights, real pro fog lights, OV tune, OEM aluminum filter housing, Mobtown IFS skid,TRD oil cap,TRD radiator cap, Osram Night Breaker 150 halogen headlamps, Fumoto valve,dashboard blackout,OEM tailgate power lock, MESO steering wheel logo, MESO two color dome light, TRD Pro coilovers, Artec LCA skids, Volk TE37 XT forged wheels, Roadmaster Active Suspension Garmin Minicam
    Will your fuel pump come with an external fuel filter to make the filter replacement an order of magnitude easier? URD makes a kit with an external fuel filter which most of the boosted 2nd gen guys have with their fuel pump upgrades.

Torspd likes this.
  18. Jan 13, 2020 at 8:39 PM
    MegaHurts777

MegaHurts777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    ID
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road (MT)
    Just for curiosity sake, are there any numbers associated with what the Auto or Manual trans can handle/do when it comes to HP/Torque?

I was never able to locate this when googling things...:crazy:
    Manual trans> RC62F
    Auto trans> AC60F

Super excited to see how things progress though, thanks for all the updates! :bananadance:

19. Jan 13, 2020 at 9:07 PM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR

Yeah, that number is floating around somewhere. It's a sandbagged number from what I recall

20. Jan 13, 2020 at 9:33 PM
    BlkdOuT

BlkdOuT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma trd sport 4x4 MT ovt
    This is what I remembered seeing...

Screenshot_20200113-213246_Chrome.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top