1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OVTune 3.5L Tacoma Supercharger and Twin Turbo Systems

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by OVTune, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 2, 2018 at 5:10 PM
    whitecord

whitecord Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dcsb trd off-road mt
    This made my day. I lost interest in the magnason supercharger as they kept jerking us around and started to accept the fact my truck will be slow. The lack of knowledge in this thread of how a turbo works is kind of surprising. Even with the slower spooling bigger turbos it will make this truck better in every way.

stevotivo12, Jcyr, marazaii and 3 others like this.
  2. Sep 2, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    GROOT5252

GROOT5252 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 DCLB Quicksand
    Ugh! Of course lol double cab long beds don’t come in manual.

3. Sep 2, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    Whitetail Assassin

Whitetail Assassin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tedric
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Magnetic Gray TRD Off-Road 6 Speed MT
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ut-the-taco-is-gone-now.566288/#post-18610173

You should’ve posted on this guys thread then. He took the leap and now he has people like us to blame for his dark and gloomy future.

82abnmedic[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Sep 2, 2018 at 5:20 PM
    KkelX4

KkelX4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    RTT Rack
  5. Sep 2, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    whitecord

whitecord Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dcsb trd off-road mt
    [​IMG]

looking at this i don't see why 400 to 500hp
    wouldn't be out of the question.

Inferno__Taco and Jcyr like this.
  6. Sep 2, 2018 at 6:10 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    I’d take my old 3.5L fx4 over my Tacoma all day every day. Sure they had some carbon issues but they fixed that one the gen 2’s.

If these Tacoma’s are so mighty people wouldn’t be going crazy for these OV tunes and now this twin turbo kit

BlownOutTaco and 95 taco like this.
  7. Sep 2, 2018 at 6:16 PM
    Anchovy

Anchovy Rule #1: Never take me seriously

Member:
    First Name:
    TRD Ferguson
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road (OVTuned)
    @OVTune Now with the deletion of the cats, could it be possible to put the cats further down the exhaust pipe, possibly just before the muffler? I'm not saying to put them there permanently, only to put them there just before emissions testing so we might be able to pass and then take them off for 2 years

8. Sep 2, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    deuceb

deuceb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver | Austin
    Vehicle:
    2018 Taco BBPDCLBTRDOR | 2004 MB SL55 | 86 VW GTI
    Would love to do a turbo over a super, but I need to keep this street-legal. I'm not going to remove all my cats on the truck, and I'm not gonna run around with a permanent CEL light, as that will stop me from passing inspection immediately. Even if you could reprogram it so the CEL doesn't pop-up, I still won't run cat-less. I think you're killing a lot of your market doing it this way, but obviously it's your turbo system so you can build it however you want. Will there be an option to keep the cats?

It sounds bad ass though if I could somehow justify this as an off-road truck only.

barcelona7568 and BlownOutTaco like this.
  9. Sep 2, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    TelosHedge

TelosHedge tiny moron

Member:
    Central NC
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno Sport DCSB 4x2
    I'm not sure 100% but I believe the cats are incorporated into the OEM manifolds, which will obviously have to come off to do turbo manifolds. Someone else asked if cats could be relocated further down the exhaust path, but I would imagine there won't be enough interest in a setup like this to justify manufacturing costs for parts.

Also, FWIW, I don't see it being a problem to keep catless-related CELs from popping up with a system like this, being tuned via flash on an OEM ECU. I had an S2000 running Kpro (RSX ECU) and it passed all emissions with no cat at all... So long as the mechanic didn't actually look for one.

Watt maker likes this.
  10. Sep 2, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    KkelX4

KkelX4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    RTT Rack

Meh. I do things with my tacoma every month that I wouldn't dare do in an fx4. Not to mention the turning radius... I would never want one of those on a trail...
    Everything has its purpose though right? I would rather tow with the f150. It has way more grunt. Same with highway driving, it can hold way higher speeds with ease. Plus higher payload.

Hopefully turbos will even that out though. I'm certainly interested to see the result.

11. Sep 2, 2018 at 6:44 PM
    mZiggy

mZiggy Honey badger; VFPro licensed; YotaWerx Tuning

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra SR5; 2020 4R TRD Pro; 2008 4R SR5 v8
    I clearly completely missed where Mat mentioned cat deletion lol serves me right for just quickly skimming through the pages here when i initially found it and followed

Lawfarin and SuperBad like this.
  12. Sep 2, 2018 at 6:57 PM
    skyking3

skyking3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma SR5 DCSB
    TRD cai, TRD cat back, JFR y pipe,Wilwood BBK,LEDs, Limited Homelink mirror,debadged,WeatherTechs,Dynamat Extreme sound deadening,sabm second snorkle to fender, Huper Optik ceramic tint, TRD Sema wheels, aerodynamic under body pan, OEM Audio Plus 500Q reference system, Depo faux pro headlights, real pro fog lights, OV tune, OEM aluminum filter housing, Mobtown IFS skid,TRD oil cap,TRD radiator cap, Osram Night Breaker 150 halogen headlamps, Fumoto valve,dashboard blackout,OEM tailgate power lock, MESO steering wheel logo, MESO two color dome light, TRD Pro coilovers, Artec LCA skids, Volk TE37 XT forged wheels, Roadmaster Active Suspension Garmin Minicam
    A few months ago on your Alpha thread you talked about some other options and one was porting and polishing the heads and manifolds for extra power once your TT system comes out. Are you still considering this? Is this something a local cylinder head shop could do or would you recommend a professional like Stiegemeier Porting Services doing it? A local racing team has all of their heads and manifolds ported and polished and then they are cryogenically treated to increase their strength. I was thinking about buying a couple of heads off of a totaled truck and doing this. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks. @OVTune

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  13. Sep 2, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    Anchovy

Anchovy Rule #1: Never take me seriously

Member:
    First Name:
    TRD Ferguson
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road (OVTuned)
    I will gladly make my own hardware to mount the cats further down only so I can pass inspection every 2 years, I just would like to know if it's possible with the turbos

14. Sep 2, 2018 at 7:21 PM
    Chipi3s

Chipi3s Does it rub?

Member:
    San Diego
    My only issue is theres no CATS and not CARB compliant :-(

Simpleton, OnlyTaco and TRACKER54 like this.
  15. Sep 2, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune

Yes that stuff is, but not soon. After engine prices go down.

No carb, but adding cats isn't very difficult. I fully intend to build one that passes inspection because the R/D truck has to pass inspection. Just not right now.

16. Sep 2, 2018 at 8:14 PM
    mZiggy

mZiggy Honey badger; VFPro licensed; YotaWerx Tuning

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra SR5; 2020 4R TRD Pro; 2008 4R SR5 v8
    I'd be interested in a solution with cats that passes inspection for sure. I already played that game for long enough when i had my BT ms3, it got tiresome pretty quickly lol

OnlyTaco and Chipi3s like this.
  17. Sep 2, 2018 at 8:23 PM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    You need a air /ice / water intercooler and twin 66mm Precision turbos or a F1 Procharger set up

robssol likes this.
  18. Sep 2, 2018 at 9:58 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I find it amusing that we are talking about a $5-7k (presumably) turbo kit and we are worried about the lack of cats. High-flow cats are most definitely a thing, and very popular in the high performance world. Easy to install and the visual inspection problem is solved. I would be willing to bet Mat will offer a high-flow catted down pipe option at some point too.

Unless you live in CA.. Then you can sit back in the luxury of your home, watching YouTube videos of us with twin turbo Tacoma's rowing through the gears, melting rubber from light to light. Or pay the guy to pass your truck and never look back..

AJY, skynyrd87, TacoOnFire18 and 6 others like this.
  19. Sep 2, 2018 at 10:49 PM
    Whitetail Assassin

Whitetail Assassin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tedric
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Magnetic Gray TRD Off-Road 6 Speed MT
    I think this is more about the excitement of the unknown and unlocking the potential of these motors. The projected power gains are nothing short of groundbreaking. Of course the end results remain to be seen and documented, but the projections are promising.

Just look at the excitement and power gains the supercharger has been known for in the previous generations of Tacoma’s. There are many happy owners out there. We will see how it pans out, but as of right now it’s looking pretty interesting for the 3rd gens.

You are entitled to your own opinion just like me. I think the Ford trucks of the past and present are no where near as good as the Tacoma’s. You like them and that’s fine. I don’t want one and would never want one. That’s what’s so great about the freedom to choose and talk about it on this site.

20. Sep 2, 2018 at 11:02 PM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    Glad I live in a state that doesn’t have bs inspections.

You guys could move from California, save a boatload of money, have no inspections and then buy all the turbos you want. You’ve got plenty of time until they are available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top