1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OVTune 3.5L Tacoma Supercharger and Twin Turbo Systems

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by OVTune, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 23, 2020 at 4:30 PM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune
    Base vs powermax compressor

IMG_20200123_1929439.jpg

Skeou, ihatemytruck, Skydvrr and 13 others like this.
  2. Jan 23, 2020 at 4:38 PM
    newdles

newdles Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Achmed
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off- road
    You don’t need me telling you what to do so I sure hope I didn’t come off as rude. You seem passionate about your love for automotive improvements. I just wanted to chime in since you actually asked for user input. If you remain quiet on dates and never say a date at all people will accept it. Even with a random comment stating what you’re working on would be a non damaging comment that doesn’t raise peoples anticipation up to a potential disappointment.

Just so you know, deadlines are exciting for us! I’m also sure they excite you as well despite people’s dissatisfaction when you don’t deliver by the date. I would be willing to say ‘I guarantee’ that if you only posted updates of your current progress and possibly updates on what specific area you’re working on people would still be attentive. Just always remember word of mouth still isn’t a lost business practice. Always leave a good taste in someone’s mouth rather than a sour one!

Laat thing... people build houses all the time. If asking a contractor to build a home for you and they said it’ll be done end of March and the house gets finished in December, imagine the likelihood that you’ll be happy with him, speak well of him to other future home owners, or even consider him in the future when you expand and decide you want a little more building done on your property!

Do what you do best and keep your consumers in the loop of your progress to maintain interest. As soon as your product or updates are available, just post the link where you normally would. The people that follow you check on your progress daily and would be extremely excited Once you posted release info.

3. Jan 23, 2020 at 4:51 PM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    I understand what you're saying and I think that is what I have been doing. Posting what we are working on, progress, and things that have set us back. I have not posted any actual date the kit is going to be available. Only once or twice mentioned when we are hoping to have it available.

4. Jan 23, 2020 at 4:55 PM
    GoldenBrew

GoldenBrew Insufficient Privilege

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Gen3 4X4 TRD OR AT DCSB, SC YotaWerx, 4.88's
    pretty sure those of us who have and use your product(s) gauge our interests and commitments on performance, quality and continued support. Cost is not the defining factor. I have no interest in URDs SC kit. If you desire to provide a SC kit on a limited basis, as your time and resources allow, that is all any of us could ask for.

Atl-atl likes this.
  5. Jan 23, 2020 at 5:02 PM
    newdles

newdles Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Achmed
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off- road
    I agree. You’ve done much better in my honest opinion. I took the time to read every post of yours in your tune thread and was worth the read. I’m nobody to you but for what it’s worth I can truly say I think you’re doing great. Stock dyno vs boosted dyno would be a nice video or topic to read on one day but I’m patiently waiting either way. Enjoy the upcoming weekend!

Atl-atl likes this.
  6. Jan 23, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    Turd Hawg

Turd Hawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DC SB OR AT (Sold)
    I think you should just do the turbos. But I’m just being selfish and want you to divert your resources to the product I want. I see no good reason to compete in a soon-to-be saturated supercharger market when you’ve got something unique and desirable.

I also think that tuning other super chargers and creating >100 ecu tunes per charger (multiple ecus, 4.88, 5.29, tubes, no tubes, etc...) should take a back seat to 2.0 and your own turbos, but again, I’m a selfish prick.

I said in this thread a few days ago that I was ready for base now, but now I’m teetering on powermax because I don’t want regret. Looking forward to charts and your opinion/impressions on both turbos.

Just my 2 cents

edit: and honestly after seeing the low end results so far of the turbos, I can’t figure out why people still want the rotrex

7. Jan 23, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    Thank you, your opinion (all of your guys!) is appreciated.

8. Jan 23, 2020 at 5:58 PM
    Caboose117

Caboose117 foul mouthed Marine

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    ;IGY6 Rescue Truck
    smashed this, broke that, covered it up with tape and paint
    Just focus on the snails
    Focus on building it out to the enth degree and then sell a monster ass final kit haha

9. Jan 23, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    Chadr7858

Chadr7858 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SHIT BOX
    All the mods; all the problems
    Turbos look beautiful! Have you tested out the non BOV turbos yet?

10. Jan 23, 2020 at 6:00 PM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    I have not, as there really is no need. They are 100% identical turbos minus the BPV.

Sleipnir, BoneTaco and Inferno__Taco like this.
  11. Jan 23, 2020 at 6:12 PM
    MegaHurts777

MegaHurts777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    ID
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road (MT)
    For what it's worth, I for one would trust your Twin Turbo kit over anything else I've seen so far, partially because of the Tune and partially because I feel like your testing is very thorough. It's obvious that you like what you do and you know what you're doing and those kinds of people are far and few between in general.

If I had the money....I'd definitely be in line to buy a kit ASAP as possible. Sadly I don't have the money but I did put this on my bucket list of things I'm trying to save for lol.

12. Jan 23, 2020 at 7:49 PM
    Sleipnir

Sleipnir Still havent found that stupid snipe

Member:
    First Name:
    I'm a horse
    Asgard
    Vehicle:
    Furd Rangero Ecoboost
    Turbosmart makes a pair of bov that would work with the bov version. Wastegates too. Just FYI

13. Jan 23, 2020 at 8:10 PM
    PatricNV

PatricNV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patric
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD OR Access Cab
    OV Tune Skinny tires Trail Gear Sliders
    @OVTune, I've been slammed before on this thread for suggesting you make an honest profit. Here we go again. You won't be in business long selling something at a 13% margin (not at this kind of volume anyway). The first 20-25% margin maybe pays the bills. Above that and you might be taking something home to your family.

As far as the decision to compete with the SC - tough call. Competing only on price is a hard way to make money. But if your aspirations are to be a full service tune/forced induction house maybe you want it in your retail offering just to keep customers from shopping elsewhere and when they see the TT you have a chance to up-sell them.

14. Jan 23, 2020 at 8:15 PM
    TacoTim85

TacoTim85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD (Current)
    Short explanation on benefits of each version?

Sleipnir likes this.
  15. Jan 23, 2020 at 8:16 PM
    BlkdOuT

BlkdOuT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma trd sport 4x4 MT ovt
    Personally, I believe you would do well with a competing rotrex version, given your knowledge and tuning experience. Many people will be willing to pay a bit more than urd just for that. And there will be plenty of people opting over snails, if not just for simplicity

But finish the turbs first, please

16. Jan 23, 2020 at 9:58 PM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD HELLCAT SWAP
    1)Will the TT kit need dual MAFs?
    2)Are the BOVs recirc or VTA?
    3)Anyway to trigger an EBC from the factory ECU?(hijack other circuit?)

My plan(and should work after some quick measurements) is to install a second OEM Airbox where the battery sits. Main battery would just get relocated to the passenger side closest to firewall. It looks like I can just spin it 180° and drop the intake side down to the turbo. This way I can retain the OEM filters for both sides.

17. Jan 24, 2020 at 6:20 AM
    jerzsubbie

jerzsubbie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davidson, NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 GX460
    Thanks for reminding me about that $650 paper weight :(

Sleipnir likes this.
  18. Jan 24, 2020 at 6:22 AM
    OVTune

Member:
    OVTune
    We will gladly switch you to a flash kit right away.
    I have tried to get more info, push alientech about it, everything in my power.

pinochle and Skydvrr like this.
  19. Jan 24, 2020 at 8:14 AM
    ihatemytruck

ihatemytruck Smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma 4x4 off road DCLB
    I don't think any of the people upset about their "paperweight" want to switch to a kit. I think they just want to keep complaining to you about it like you are personally at fault and you aren't doing everything you can to get them here.

Shellshock likes this.
  20. Jan 24, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    jerzsubbie

jerzsubbie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davidson, NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 GX460
    I know you will and I'm glad that you offer to do so, but I don't want a flash kit. The handheld is what pushed me over the top to buy your tune. Contrary to what @ihatemytruck thinks, I do not hold you personally responsible.

I fully understand that you are at the mercy of your vendor who had no clue themselves that Toyota made a change until users began having issues. I made my comment because, just like my NFA items that take 9mo+ for the gov to approve, I kind of put this in the back of my mind and try to forget about it for now.

BlkdOuT, Caboose117 and SC4333 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top