1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OVTune 3.5L Tacoma Supercharger and Twin Turbo Systems

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by OVTune, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 4, 2020 at 2:34 PM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune
    As long as you drive it nicely, no. Just stay out of boost.

2. Dec 4, 2020 at 2:34 PM
    Bigetaco22

Bigetaco22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160s. OME leaf springs. 285/75/16. RC tonneau cover. Supernova v3 led lows, highs, and fog lights. Kicker speaker upgrade.
    Cool that's what I figured.

3. Dec 4, 2020 at 2:51 PM
    RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro Tacoma - Voodoo Blue / 06 double cab PreRunner Turbocharged (sold)
    1 here

4. Dec 4, 2020 at 4:12 PM
    Ackattack911

Ackattack911 Member

Member:
    Let me know

Let me know too please. I want to check it out before I install mine. Still waiting for it to ship.

5. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    rj_taco

rj_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Best I can tell who bought a kit/received a kit:

1- MESO (received)
    2- bigetaco22 (received)
    3- mziggy (received)
    4- speedtacotursday (on the way?)
    5- turd hawg (received)
    6- whitedlite (received)
    7- seelyarttacus (received)
    8- jimmyturbo (received)
    9- jamest
    10- twtaco (received) - 3rd_gen_trd_taco
    11- jrgymie
    12- tea-coma
    13- gen3tacomaobx
    14- kodeman23
    15- ronzio
    16- redlantern
    17- thetacochrist
    18- ackattack911
    19- kncklechldrn
    20- blkdout
    21- bluetacho
    22- Jason j
    23- rj_taco
    24- ?
    25- ?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Skydvrr, mZiggy and Tea-coma like this.
  6. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:34 PM
    TheTacoChrist

TheTacoChrist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO Taco
    Lettuce removed Ghost pepper sauce added Subbed: Tortured baby cow for tofu.

I’m 3rd to last on that list according to Matt. FYI.
    But I plan to install it completely the week I receive it, and document lots the first month.
    I will put a lot of miles on fast.

Or I may sell my truck before it comes in. I’m kind of relying on this turbo to keep me invested in this truck.

HashTaco and Skydvrr like this.
  7. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:35 PM
    JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro, MT
    Not received

8. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    KnckleChldrn

KnckleChldrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB MT
    Suspension OME 886 Coils OME Nitro Charger Sport shocks OME Nitro Charger Sport struts Deaver Expedition leaf pack Mickey Thompson wheels 265/70/17 KO2 Total Chaos upper control arms Performance K&N air intake Exterior Southern Style Offroad slim line bumper Smittybilt x20 winch Interior Kicker tweeters, front and rear speakers Anytime front and rear camera Hondo Garage stereo knobs Hondo Garage un-Holley mount MESO black out door handles MESO steering wheel MGM overlay MESO puddle pods MESO ultimate red map lights MESO ultimate red dome MESO gasshole MESO ultimate turn signals MESO BD5 3rd brake light MESO stage 3 side markers Retrofit Morimoto 2.0 headlights RGB halo RGB demons RGB DRL Cali Raised raptor LED tail lights SpartanXCustoms scoop light Baja Designs Squadron Sports fogs (amber) Baja Designs Squadron Pro ditch (amber) Baja Designs S8 20" Matt Gecko bed lights Matt Gecko hood lights Switchpro 9100 OEM bed mat 300 Industries grill Bakflip Fibermax cover
    Thanks for putting that together as disappointing as it is. Lol Thought more had already received. I’ll stand by to stand by.

rj_taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Dec 4, 2020 at 7:13 PM
    Speedwaytacotuesday

Speedwaytacotuesday I love riding in my wife's Taco :p

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 TACO LTD, 88 4runner, 4th Gen 4Runner
    TRD S/C 2.3" pulley mild ported Portmatched/cleaned intake runner Ucon EMS/cam gears/160 t-stat 840cc injectors 255 LPH walbro fuel pump Urd equal length headers Urd competition y-pipe AFE 3” Exhaust Vibrant resonator Oil Catch can Ratio-tek valvebody upgrade 3" bilstein/OME lift Dakar rear 7-leaf pack 32" KO2's load range C Stealth custom wheels Ray-10's Volk Te37X’s Tundra front 13.3” brakes Custom fab rock sliders LC-2 wideband autometer boost gauge Cravenspeed gauge pod mount Scangauge 2 SC MODS: Pulley ripp mod/belt wrap mod/ fleetrunner belt/ tensioner stop delete mod/ bypass jet delete mod
    Mine was to be picked up and shipped last Friday so its possibly on its way, not certain on that? I didn’t get a shipping notice yet however.

Also, looks like there’s atleast 6 members that should have their kits fully installed very soon. It’s a neck and neck race between Turdhawg, Mziggy, Jimmyturbo and Bigetaco22 it seems

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  10. Dec 4, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    Turd Hawg

Turd Hawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DC SB OR AT (Sold)
    I’m pushing, but keep hitting snags. I got the passenger side pretty much done. I trimmed the passenger side shock tower and wastegate to give myself room. Also trimmed and shimmed the lower air box 1/2” up on the motor side to make it clear the 90 coolant fitting on the turbo. That may only be because of the extra space taken up by the turbo blanket.

Took the wastegate off the drivers side to get it to go down in the hole and mounted, cut away a bit of wheel well too to make it easier, maybe not absolutely necessary but I’m in F it mode and going for easy. Found the air inlet runs directly into the oil fill, and I’d need to chop 1/3 off the shock tower, to include 1/3 coilover bolts, to get the wastegate in. With expert supervision and suggestion, I’ve decided to 22.5 or 45 off the air inlet to clear the oil fill, and loosen the vband to turn the wastegate and cold side of the turbo towards the motor to clear of the shock tower. If I knew that prior to trimming the passenger shock tower then it probably wasn’t necessary. I found you also need to start the top left manifold nut prior to attempting to seat the manifold all the way as the manifold stud damn near touches the manifold on bolt up.

Used quite a bit of extra heat shielding. I’m finding 5/8” and 1” diameter adhesive heat shielding to be invaluable. I’ve also been bouncing ideas off of others installing the turbos which has been more than helpful.

All in all going well, OV has been really responsive to emails with concerns, questions, and parts listings for jacked up parts.

Keep in mind I’m no mechanic, so every step is a challenge, I’m inching closer, can’t wait to fire it up!

11. Dec 4, 2020 at 8:38 PM
    Speedwaytacotuesday

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C 2.3" pulley mild ported Portmatched/cleaned intake runner Ucon EMS/cam gears/160 t-stat 840cc injectors 255 LPH walbro fuel pump Urd equal length headers Urd competition y-pipe AFE 3” Exhaust Vibrant resonator Oil Catch can Ratio-tek valvebody upgrade 3" bilstein/OME lift Dakar rear 7-leaf pack 32" KO2's load range C Stealth custom wheels Ray-10's Volk Te37X’s Tundra front 13.3” brakes Custom fab rock sliders LC-2 wideband autometer boost gauge Cravenspeed gauge pod mount Scangauge 2 SC MODS: Pulley ripp mod/belt wrap mod/ fleetrunner belt/ tensioner stop delete mod/ bypass jet delete mod
    You first few installers along with your snags and tribulations are sequentially making the install easier for the following members as they receive theirs. So..much appreciated and don’t forget to snap photos along the way!

12. Dec 4, 2020 at 10:14 PM
    amadougrand

amadougrand Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwestern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Yes, already told my shop to get this on a the schedule so photos and guidance appreciated to smooth the process.

I’m planning to delete the cats as can get by without them where I am. Anyone else doing that? Trying to research quiet exhaust to go with it. Thinking urd y pipe then????? From there.

13. Dec 4, 2020 at 10:51 PM
    Speedwaytacotuesday

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Are you 1 of the 2 mystery persons out of the 25 getting a kit?
    You should have ordered catless from the get go and save yourself the hassle of removing the cats.
    Going catless equals more noise, so if you are looking to lose the cats it won’t help with your goal of a quiet exhaust. However you can squeeze in a couple Vibrant ultra quiet resonators as I did in my 2nd Gen Taco and it will help keep it a bit more tolerable.

I kept my URD ypipe off of my 2nd Gen and may install it, but we will see how loud it will be as is, without. Installing the URD ypipe will exasperate the noise problem even further as it removes the last 2 downstream cats. It’s a trade off, you will have to decide what’s more important to you, a bit of performance or noise/sound.

14. Dec 5, 2020 at 1:56 AM
    naked farmer

naked farmer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 B.Red Off Road
    Wasn’t Meso an exception? The 26th? Which would leave three more to your list.

15. Dec 5, 2020 at 3:47 AM
    mZiggy

mZiggy Honey badger; VFPro licensed; YotaWerx Tuning

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra SR5; 2020 4R TRD Pro; 2008 4R SR5 v8
    I went with catted downpipes and then ordered the Doug Thorley catless y-pipe with resonators.

16. Dec 5, 2020 at 3:55 AM
    mZiggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    Day before yesterday, I called the shop to see how things were going and they ended up asking me to stop by to discuss some things with the kit, so I did.

They were under the impression that this kit was purchased used or that an install attempt had already been made due to various issues and condition of some of the pieces.

The tech they have working on it is "the turbo guy", apparently he's their top guy for performance installs. He went over all the issues with the kit with me and said he took pictures of everything to make sure he's got everything documented.

Some stuff has gouges in it, nothing functionally damaging except for one of the carbon fiber pipings that is cracked through and they're going to replace with an aluminum piece so that it doesn't leak. He'd said they can't just seal it up because eventually the seal would likely fail.

One of the actuators was stuck open so he had to fix that. One of the wastegates is missing a lock so they're going to add that in.

The heater hose pieces that are designated to be used for oil he flat out won't use and will be getting proper lines for because he said it'll soak it up and expand and fail.

Looked like the turbos were on the wrong mani's, looking like the holes didn't line up either when looking at the markings left behind, meaning not all the air would be flowing properly.

They definitely agreed that the kit is the real deal. They saw the ford stampings on the gaskets and saw the garrett logos and remarked on the quality of the downpipes and mani's and whatnot and kept saying this is going to be a badass kit, no doubt. But the tech is determined to make sure that it goes in correctly, instead of haphazardly or with pieces that will fail or not work properly.

I'm actually really happy that they called me down to show me everything and go over it all with me, and relieved that I elected to have a shop install because for awhile I'd been undecided if I'd install myself and some of these things I wouldn't have recognized or thought to check. All in all, I did get informed my install quote will be going up due to the extra hours spent fixing and checking items, but that's fine. Would rather it get done right. At least I've got @Turd Hawg working on his too and hitting the snags that he is so that I can relay those solutions to the shop if they encounter them as well.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  17. Dec 5, 2020 at 4:06 AM
    amadougrand

amadougrand Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwestern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I don’t think they have ordered yet as we are still working on the rear trying to get it sorted so we know where everything is going and can route around it.

I can get by without any cats, it’s making it quiet after that which is the challenge.
    Thanks for the tip.

18. Dec 5, 2020 at 4:09 AM
    mZiggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    No, our prophet @MESO was 1 of the chosen 25.

19. Dec 5, 2020 at 4:09 AM
    RangerComa

RangerComa 58008

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Marin, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB
    list is growing fast
    You mean martyr. RIP

atpage, TurdTaco64, VB25 and 2 others like this.
  20. Dec 5, 2020 at 4:38 AM
    OVTune

OVTune [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune
    Some of the nicks and gouges I would bet came through shipping, but also there turbos come from Garrett with some nicks, scratches, etc.

On the manifolds, where the drill press drilled them you may find but it doesn't hurt or affect anything.

The turbos definitely are not on the wrong manifolds, if they swap they the turbos will spin the wrong way creating no boost. You can't put them on any other way, or the inlet of the turbo would be facing backwards.

The wastegate locking clip may have fell off and would be in the box.

Also oil won't soak through the hose.
    Oil soaks through pure silicone hose

Will be sending out tune files to everyone today

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Torspd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top