1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OVtune vs. ShiftSense Pro vs. SprintBooster V3

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by PacoDevo, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Oct 24, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    PacoDevo

PacoDevo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB white "Quinn the Eskimo"
    I see lots of comments about the OV Tune and ShiftSense Pro, but minimal on the SprintBooster V3......Why???

Is no one using the SprintBooster V3?? I just bought one (used) and it seems great so far.

Just curious.

Thanks, Paco Devo

2. Oct 24, 2017 at 1:50 PM
    bladsville

bladsville Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road 4X4 MT
    OVTune is on a completely different plane than Sprintbooster and Shiftsense. It blows them out of the water. They are snake oil/Band aid. OVTune is the real deal.

Tig3r_Bit and Jeremy4x4 like this.
  3. Oct 24, 2017 at 1:53 PM
    cwolgy88

cwolgy88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    None as of yet
    It's also ridiculously expensive. Taking advantage of Tacoma owners because they know the stock tune is shit, and they're currently the only ones with a tune.

4. Oct 24, 2017 at 1:54 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    OVtune is a high end full tune that completely remaps everything $$$$$

Shiftsense changes shift points to better utilize the power (or lack there of) of the new motor and trans

Sprintbooster simply changes the throtle input curve.... it does nothing more than make the ecu think you have pushed on the gas pedal futher than you have.... a waste of money

Tig3r_Bit and Jukeboxx13 like this.
  5. Oct 24, 2017 at 2:01 PM
    bladsville

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road 4X4 MT
    OVtune is roughly twice the cost of a Sprintbooster V3. But it also does MUCH more for response and performance. The price is fair for what it does.

Also them being the only ones with a tune is not them taking advantage, its called being innovators.

angryskittle, Skydvrr and Murkules like this.
  6. Oct 24, 2017 at 2:17 PM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    Agree. It was hard to shell out the cash for OVTune and of course I was concerned about hurting my truck by monkeying with the factory ECU but when I finally got to my wits end I decided I would try this LAST thing and if it didn't make my truck more enjoyable to drive I'd trade it out within the year for a full size (which I did NOT want to do, but I also didn't want a GM...)

Stock tune was harsh, bogged badly, downshifted way too late and resulted in a JERKY downshift at far to high RPMs to be healthy for the drivetrain IMO. Plus the incessant vibrations were annoying on a good day, almost unbearable on others. The lag in throttle response is downright unsafe, and I really hope someone doesn't get seriously hurt (or worse) before they do something about that problem.

Post tune, my truck runs wicked smooth with very little vibes. Throttle response is predictable and linear - I always know what Im going to get out of my truck when I hit the gas without the truck thinking it knows what I want to do. Power delivery is smoother overall and it actually works like any other AT I've owned... you press harder on the gas, it knows you want to go faster and downshifts at an appropriate RPM/load. The extra power tuned for premium wasn't why I bought it, but it is noticeable and makes the truck feel lighter and more peppy which also adds to a more fun driving experience without pushing any limits to cause more engine wear.

Lots of naysayers have concerns about reliability impacts, but I watch my fuel trims, lamda/AFR closely and the tune maintains everything within what the service manual considers "normal" so I can only conclude its at least AS safe as the stock tune, but I won't be surprised if it actually improves the life of the engine/tranny without all the harsh shifts and bipolar throttle response.

My $.02 (and that's about what it's worth...) :)

7. Oct 24, 2017 at 2:35 PM
    TacoSauceHB

TacoSauceHB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Rathdrum, ID
    Vehicle:
    2017 _TRD Off-Road DCLB 4X4 Tech Package
    King 2.5 ext travel, Camburg uniball UCA, SCS Ray10 wheels, 285/75/16 Cooper STT Pro's, CMC , MBRP exhaust, K&N cai , OVTune 1.05 , T-rex billet grill, Rigid DS Pro ditch lights, SDHQ ditch light brackets, Leer 100XQ Shell, ShmellFab Sliders, Victory 4x4 Roof rack, LED headlights. SOS Concepts bumper, Smittybilt X20 Winch, Nitro 5,29 gears, ECGS clamshell bushing.

How much does the OVT tune cost? I was sold on buying the Sprint Booster + SSP until I read your comment. Have any links to the products?

8. Oct 24, 2017 at 2:40 PM
    pjensen641

pjensen641 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boone, IA
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM ACLB Sport Manual

Holy crap...they want to charge $300 for a gimmicky device that just changes the pedal signal. That makes the VALUE of the OVTune seem waaaay better.

@St.Germain had a similar dohicky and now has the OVtune and could maybe explain the differences.

9. Oct 24, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taking advantage? Please!

You can keep the stock tune, or you can pay for their product.

Taking advantage would be correct, IF Toyota released a second tune option and charged for it - because THEY tuned the original maps. OVTune spent money and time making their own tune, getting paid for that product is hardly taking advantage of anybody.

Skydvrr, 1bad2k, jayuu and 1 other person like this.
  10. Oct 24, 2017 at 2:49 PM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    yep, supply and demand / capitalism at its finest. there was a huge demand, no one took "advantage" of the demand until OV came around and started breaking these ECUs apart to dissect the problems and fix them. I've wasted a lot of money on stupid things in my life. this tune is NOT one of them...

Durango95 likes this.
  11. Oct 24, 2017 at 2:50 PM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Look for the OrangeVirus (OVTune) threads - there is an alpha thread that was used for iteration and development (huge thread, hard to follow for a newcomer) and then 2 more recent threads you'll find - one for manual and one for auto trannys. about $800 shipped

12. Oct 24, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    You'll be hard pressed to find someone who has tried all three that can give you an actual comparison.

bshammer0 likes this.
  13. Oct 24, 2017 at 3:10 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    nobody can take advantage of me if i have choices. so yeah that one time the OV Tune guy came over and forced me to buy that shit at gunpoint. o_O

anyways..

OP these are all different products. most everyone in here is making the same point. there are causal (causal, not casual!) fixes and there are symptom fixes... the OV Tune is fixed at the causal level, a poor ECU program. the Sprint Booster, Pedal Commander, and SSP don't touch the programming but attempt to work around it. you can argue all day about which and why.

i had the Pedal Commander (PC) and had massive value for it because i found my MT Taco nearly undriveable due to the stock ECU program. once i found the PC i got super happy, kept the truck, had fun driving, but continued to fight with a muted engine, non-linear throttle, non-linear power delivery, and basically just a very indirect inconsistent weak feeling motor. i knew the solution was always a new ECU tune but there was nothing available then, so i kept the truck and enjoyed it best i could, which was a damn lot. but it still wasn't right. the symptom was adjusted but not the cause and it was clear to me every minute of every drive.

the OV Tune came and fixed it all for me. now: linear throttle, mostly linear power delivery, no engine "muting", much much more direct feeling at the throttle, and a big chunk more torque that i use every time i drive. it's amazing. and for me it's worth much more than $800 although i agree that 'yota should have had it right from the beginning, but that's another discussion. :bikewheelie2:

Fast1, ra25mel, bladsville and 3 others like this.
  14. Oct 24, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    Jrobb

Jrobb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Lb SR5 Magnetic Grey Metallic
    Those three options aren't really fair to compare against eachother. They do drastically different things. OV Tune essentially addresses both issues that each Sprint Booster and Shift sense address individually.

-Sprint booster as stated makes the throttle curve more aggressive ( Less pedal input = more throttle opening.) It does essentially what the ECT button does minus addressing the shift points. ECT makes throttle curve more aggressive AND changes shift points to better utilize HP...so I don't really see the point of Sprint Booster. Having never used it, maybe I'm missing something but the literature I saw didn't convince me it was worth it and I seem to remember most of the MT ( manual transmission ) guys and gals found it to work. Auto owners didn't see any gains because the shift points were still shit. It seems overpriced for what it does. The website even states it makes your vehicle "feel faster".

-Shift Sense just commands the S+ mode automatically. Now it comes with 3 selectable modes (More aggressive, Standard, and less aggressive). It is also able to engage or disengage on the fly. I have the latest chipset and love the less aggressive mode. It's perfect for me. and is the least expensive one.

These two make the "Problem" of the Tacoma drivetrain more manageable. It has been mentioned these two are "snake-oil/bandaids" but I think that disingenuous to the work the mfg of the Shift Sense put in to the product. There's a lot of thought behind the product and the work involved by a member owned one man show is appreciated by many satisfied users. Both products actually do what they say they do so I don't even know how you call them snake-oil. Intake vortex generators...those are pure snake oil.

The Sprint Booster I've seen marked in many different packages ( Pedal Commander, Sprint Booster, Etc)

OV Tune goes a completely different route. This tune changes the root causes behind why many people hate the drivetrain in these 3rd gens. Engine output is optimized, shift points are better calibrated, AND there is an actual power increase to make things better among other things.

Yes it is $700 but you just spent $40,000 on a truck. Is one month's payment really too much for the the performance it should have had from the get go? I don't think so. Down the line I plan to go the OV Tune route I just don't have any desire to be an early adopter.

J

TacoSauceHB likes this.
  15. Oct 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM
    eldedo

eldedo voted most likely eaten by a bear

Member:
    Mojave Desert
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSBOR 4X4
    2888/5100/Dakars 285's/Camburgs
    isn't OV tune cheaper if you bring your truck in? I live in SoCal, so....

16. Oct 24, 2017 at 4:02 PM
    PacoDevo

PacoDevo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB white "Quinn the Eskimo"
    Thanks, guys for all the responses. Most likely I didn't get what I really hoped for, but my truck DOES drive better. So being retired and on a fixed income with a son in college and a daughter in grad school (and paying for each of their vehicles, too) the OV Tune is out of the question FOR NOW. God, my '68 Bronco with a 351 Windsor, carb and NV3550 5-speed is SOOOOO much easier to deal with than all this modern technology!!!!!

I may start to actually miss my '07 Tundra for it's simplicity!

I do appreciate all the explanations and comparisons between the 3 products!!

Fast1 likes this.
  17. Oct 24, 2017 at 7:31 PM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD HELLCAT SWAP
    It's $459 if you send in your ECU.

BlkTaco47 and bshammer0 like this.
  18. Oct 25, 2017 at 3:15 PM
    bladsville

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road 4X4 MT
    IDK how people who are driving 30-40K trucks are complaining about a $700 tune.

Are you plebs living paycheck to paycheck to afford that truck?

epluribusunom likes this.
  19. Oct 25, 2017 at 3:19 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    I'll be able to when my registration code gets here for m tune.

I didn't have a sprint booster but I had a pedal commander. I loved it. I thought it made a bigger improvement to driving experience than the shift sense did. Which was also a good product.

su.b.rat likes this.
  20. Oct 25, 2017 at 3:21 PM
    TacoSauceHB

TacoSauceHB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Rathdrum, ID
    Vehicle:
    2017 _TRD Off-Road DCLB 4X4 Tech Package
    King 2.5 ext travel, Camburg uniball UCA, SCS Ray10 wheels, 285/75/16 Cooper STT Pro's, CMC , MBRP exhaust, K&N cai , OVTune 1.05 , T-rex billet grill, Rigid DS Pro ditch lights, SDHQ ditch light brackets, Leer 100XQ Shell, ShmellFab Sliders, Victory 4x4 Roof rack, LED headlights. SOS Concepts bumper, Smittybilt X20 Winch, Nitro 5,29 gears, ECGS clamshell bushing.
    My thoughts exactly lol

Products Discussed in

To Top