1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0125, P0171, P1130 error codes

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jburgessmd, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Oct 15, 2008 at 6:58 AM
    jburgessmd

jburgessmd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Calvert County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4wd
    I am new to this group, and really only want to pass on my experience I just had with my 2001 Tacoma 4wd extended cab.
    I love my truck and it has never given me a problem.
    About a year ago I had someone steal my Catalytic Converter and the rear O2 sensor and had to get them put back in through my insurance. What a pain.
    Fast forward 1 year and I had a Check Engine light come on a few weeks ago.
    It went away so I ignored it.
    It came back on about a week ago and the codes that it kicked out were P0125, P0171, and P1130.
    In reading many articles and forums it sounded like a dirty MAF sensor. In my truck it's pretty easy to get to. Two Phillips screws, and carefully remove it to clean. I let it dry overnight, reset my codes, and drove to work. The Check Engine light came back on.
    I ordered the front O2 sensor because I found out that one of the above codes indicates the front O2 is bad.
    I replaced this front O2 sensor and the problem has been resolved.

My symptoms were:
    Check Engine light obviously.
    Gas mileage dropped by 5mpg.
    Rough idle, but not awful to be honest.

Resolution:
    Cleaned my MAF, which didn't resolve my problem but probably good that I cleaned it anyway.
    Replaced my front O2 sensor for $145.

If you shop around you can get it for this price, and probably cheaper. I saw this part as high as $200 so it was worth looking around a bit.

Hope this helps someone out there.
    Jeff

2. Mar 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    Esqz Me

Esqz Me Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    PTC GA
    Vehicle:
    Just your basic truck
    I am having a similar experience right now. Only use my truck occasionally when i want to haul my bikes somewhere. Last fall on a trip to Birmingham (120 miles) MIL came on after a fill-up, but it went off the next day before I got around to checking codes. Fuel mileage was disappointingly low during that time.
    Last week drove to Daytona FL (400 miles) and MIL light came on. Got lousy mileage but she ran OK. Temp gauge normal and everything else normal.
    Pulled the codes yesterday and got P0125 and P0171, History showed that was the codes when I drove to Alabama.
    Everything I have read in the tech manuals and various google searches indicates front o2 sensor.
    I'm going to replace that. Hope that solves it. Your experience makes me a bit more confident.

3. Sep 29, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    jodw

jodw New Member

Member:
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Sport
    My son has a 1997 Extended Cab 3.4L V6. His catalytic converter and O2 sensor was stolen and we replaced the entire exhaust system, including O2 sensor. The temperature gauge shows a normal temperature and the gas mileage is down about 5 MPG. Now we are seeing maintenance codes P0125 and P0135. I replaced the ECM temperature sensor and air filter, but not the thermostat or MAF.

Can anyone recommend any additional action beyond cleaning the MAF?

I do recommend Rock Auto for parts. So far we have $400 into this effort and have an entirely new exhaust and ECM temp. sensor. I figure this is a $300 savings over the local stores.

Products Discussed in

To Top