1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

p0306 help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ICSnipe, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Jan 16, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    ICSnipe

ICSnipe [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport TRD 4X4
    Hello. I hope to use some of the vast knowledge from you all. I have a 05 Tacoma DC 4X4. I started getting a random P0306 code. I replaced the plugs several months ago. The truck has about 104000 miles on it. I replaced all ignition coils and reset the codes. It went away for little while, but came back later. I have seen some others with the same issues but no resolutions. Have read it could be fuel, cam position sensor or even MAF sensor. I drive about 100 miles a day. Don't believe it to be fuel. The CEL will flash in the mornings but will go steady after it warms up. It will run very rough also while cold but smooth out after it warms up. Any idea on which to start with? Thanks

2. Jan 16, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    P0306 = #6 cylinder misfire

Make sure the plugs are correct and gapped properly. Check all connections on the injectors. If your are inclined, you can swap the number 6 injector with another one. If the code changes to the cylinder you moved the #6 injector to, then you have a bad injector. It could also be the cam or crank sensor.

More details here

3. Jan 17, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    ICSnipe

ICSnipe [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport TRD 4X4
    Thanks. Will try that and get back to you. May be a couple of days but will let you know what I find.

4. Jan 20, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    ICSnipe

ICSnipe [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport TRD 4X4
    OK. Truck started really acting up. It started cutting off, shuddering at when driving at lower speeds. (When truck was lugging) I didn't have the time to look at it so I sucked it up and took it to the dealer. First that HAD to tune it up. I did one less then 10000 miles ago. They stated the plugs were Iridium and that those will not work in the 05 Taco. Then they found that the PO had broke a vacuum plug off the air box and tried gluing it back and it had falling off. So they are ordering a used one to replace. They say that is the problem. Will see when I get it back next week. I was thinking it would have been the cam sensor though. Will keep you updated. Thanks

5. Jan 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    interesting... lots of people run iridium plugs in their Tacoma

6. Jan 21, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    ICSnipe

ICSnipe [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Sport TRD 4X4
    yeah that was what I thought also. I was for sure I had read that on this site. But what makes it even more interesting is I did not ask for them when I purchased them. Unless the salesman grabbed the wrong ones. I have one at home and will look this weekend.

Products Discussed in

To Top