1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0330? oh boy!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 99Taco's, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Nov 24, 2007 at 8:11 PM
    99Taco's

99Taco's [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 3.4L V6 4X4
    A month after I bought my truck (99 v6 4x4) i tripped this code "Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction". Because it doesnt always stay on steady, I am led to believe that it could be a problem in the wiring harness or, the sensor itself could be loose? I've reset it by disconnecting the positive terminal on my battery, but now within 5 minutes, its back on.

I do alright with general maintenance, but this really is not a job for me.:(
    and so after saving up some bucks, i'm prepared to get this done and out of the way, I hope.

Kind of a weird question, but is there anything that i can have my mechanic look at/check/test while he is in there?

I feel comfortable that we can figure out this P0330 thing but unfortunately i dont have a complete history of the trucks past maintenance and want to tackle each repair or upgrade as best i can without having to take apart the truck all the time.

Any advice would be appreciated

2. Nov 27, 2007 at 10:50 AM
    twoarezee

twoarezee Well-Known Member

Member:
    esco, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 Dropped Mini
    rims,tires,3"/6" drop, 4x4 front end, 01 tails and corners, prerunner buckets,tenzo r steering wheel w/ momo hub, b&m shifterw/ jdm trd knob, alpine system, tint, 3 3/4" autometer tach, jardine cat back, k&n, debaged, hellwig rear sway bar, kyb monomax shocks, tundra v8 oil filter w/ mobil 1 in ever
    if its the knock sensor be prepared to remove your intake and one of your heads to get to it

3. Jan 10, 2008 at 11:24 PM
    99Taco's

99Taco's [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 3.4L V6 4X4
    Happy 2008!! 2008??? Holy sh*t!!

So i thought I'd update my p0330 saga in short.

I delayed straight up replacing the knock sensor. Its an expensive job, and i wont do it myself. Instead (recently) I changed my oil type, did some throttle service, fixed up my beltless AC thus improving my idle, changed plugs and fuel filter. After all this with fingers crossed, the light came on again on first drive. Weeow.

BUT!!! i believe that my truck is relearning itself. My idle is now perfect but it took a week or so after I serviced it. I hope the same could be said about my knock sensor. I really do not like having my timing affected. That being said, I am pleased to prematurely write this post with the great news that the light has NOT come on after being resest by a scanner i just picked up. Although it has only been a day with no check light, i am confident for a bright future.
    Power and torque RE-stored btw and it is awesome!

cheers
    and comments are most welcome.

WagonHo! likes this.
  4. Jan 11, 2008 at 4:30 AM
    colttsi

colttsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm glad it worked out!!
    But if you wanna make sure evrything is all right, I'll give you some tips on how to check if your knock sensor is ok.
    You have to know that a knock sensor is a piezoelectric sensor which means in this case that when it detects pinking in your engine, it produces voltage which your ECU reads and when it is too high, the ECu plays with your timing to stop the knocking in your engine.
    So the easiest way to test a knock sensor is to use a hammer and hit the block very close to the knock sensor and records it's voltage with a voltmeter. Sometimes it won't work but 80% of the time, itworks.
    So the only thing you have to check is if you have voltage coming out of the sensor and voltage coming into your ECU. If you have voltage coming out of the sensor but nothing at the ECU, you've got a little electrical problem.
    Hope this helps!!:)

5. Jan 12, 2008 at 4:54 PM
    99Taco's

99Taco's [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 3.4L V6 4X4
    Thanks for the response colttsi.

My mechanic told me that he tried the hammer trick but I'm not sure if anything came out of it IE, i don't think the hammer noise produced a CEL. He was the one who recommended that I do some servicing etc before I commit to going in there to replace the sensors and so far (fingers crossed) its worked out.

Your advice is sound but am I able to check the voltage for the sensor and ecm without having to do any serious work? I take it no for the sensor, but maybe you've got something else for me.

Cheers!!

6. Jan 14, 2008 at 4:42 AM
    colttsi

colttsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    You just have to find a wiring diagram and record the voltage coming out of your sensor. Find a place where it is easy to plus a voltmeter and do some tests with a hammer. (very technological method).
    But if you have no CEL, don't touch anything!!!

7. Jan 16, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    99Taco's

99Taco's [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 3.4L V6 4X4
    Bump to that!

Products Discussed in

To Top