1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0401

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sramirez1516, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Aug 1, 2020 at 8:34 PM
    sramirez1516

sramirez1516 [OP] Saul R.

Member:
    First Name:
    Saul
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota tacoma xtracab prerunner 2.7
    None
    I been getting this code on and off since I got the truck 3 years ago but it wasn't until recently that we started hauling a boat and I've noticed the code goes away whenever the O/D Off light is on.

Tried everything and even replaced the EGR valve and did a whole bunch of troubleshooting. Could there be a connection between high rpms and the P0401?

2. Aug 1, 2020 at 8:52 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF This statement is false.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 4WD MT Single Cab
    Rust, dents, miles.
    So I had a P0402 code recently, which is the opposite of an P0401, but I think they have similar origins. Mine turned out to be clogged vacuum ports in the throttle body.

High rpms is a low vacuum situation if i remember right, so if something is clogged that could cause an issue.

I ended up trying to blow through all the different tubes connected to the throttle body and found a couple that were nearly impossible. A quick pressurization from the air compressor took care of that.

Also, what condition are your vacuum lines in? A leak could be a problem too.

Lastly - have you tested the EGR temperature sensor? If its not working right you can get codes from it (in fact its a pretty common cause)

Black DOG Lila and cruiserguy like this.
  3. Aug 3, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    sramirez1516

sramirez1516 [OP] Saul R.

Member:
    First Name:
    Saul
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota tacoma xtracab prerunner 2.7
    None
    I checked all the vacuum lines and even replaced a few that looked old.

I'm starting to wonder about the temp sensor.
    I'm going to check.

What's interesting is that if I haul my boat for about 45 mins the light CEL stays off for a while, I drive this truck almost everyday with the exception of weekends and it does stay clear but after a few days, sometimes weeks, the CEL comes back.

Thanks for your input.

Products Discussed in

To Top