1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0402 code, how urgent?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by abledsoe, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Dec 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    abledsoe

abledsoe [OP] New Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    1999 PreRunner
    My Tacoma:
    1999 PreRunner 2.4L auto, 157K miles.

A couple of weeks ago the CEL came on. The truck seemed to be running as normal but I went ahead and took it to my mechanic (not a toyota dealer). He said it gave an EGR code so they checked the system and found nothing wrong, suspected a stuck valve. They cleaned it and reset the CEL. A couple of days later the light came back on, still seemed to be running just fine.

I borrowed a diagnostic scanner and got code "P0402" suggesting the same thing.

Im not much of a mechanic at all so fixing it myself is probably out of the question. How urgent is it that I get this fixed? Can it wait about a month? Like I said, it seems to be running just fine, no loss of power or anything. I don't put very many miles on this beast but I do really want it to last another few years.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much

2. Dec 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    P0402 is for excessive EGR flow detected. This is an emissions related code. If there actually IS too much flow it can cause excessive emissions and possible stumbling and hesitation. Can it wait a month? Possibly. It is hard to tell because we don't know if the fault is a true failure, or a sensor problem. If it is a sensor problem, then you could wait, if it is a failure, then it may get worse.

Products Discussed in

To Top