1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0430 Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by everetse, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    everetse

everetse [OP] Member

Member:
    What should my first step be?

1) About a week ago, my airbag light came on
    2) Yesterday my check engine light came on
    3) Had it read today. Code = P0430 - "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold - bank 2"

Nothing seems different about the truck. I live in Indiana, and we had very cold weather the last week.

Also - I'm only semi comfortable with doing my own troubleshooting/repairs.

When I talked to AutoZone about resetting the code (to see if it would come back or was just due to cold) - they stated that the code would go away after so many start cycles if the problem no longer existed. Is this true?

2. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    might be. Might be.

It may go out if your system returns to normal after some time (like the gas cap thing) or it may actually be bad. It won't hurt anything more than maybe your mileage to drive with a bad catalytic converter. Give it a chance.

Odd that you had the air bag light come on too, There's a lot of sensors in there that can all trip the light. It might be water infiltration or horrible cold (sub zero I'd guess). Horrible cold can do strange things to electronics sometimes.

3. Feb 15, 2011 at 4:12 AM
    everetse

everetse [OP] Member

Member:
    Wanted to follow up....

After about 10 - 15 start cycles, my check engine light went off. Great news! Looks like guy at AutoZone was correct.

Airbag light is still on - however less concerned about that....

4. Feb 15, 2011 at 4:53 AM
    antatich

antatich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Bremen, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Silver Tacoma
    Ready lift SST w/ 2 inch blocks, 33x12.50R17 Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires, 1.25" Billet Spacers, Tinted Windows, DDM tuning HID Headlights and Foglights, N-Fab Side Bars, N-Fab Light Bar, 4 Hella 500FF, JL Amp, 12" shallow Mount Sub
    Sorry for getting into this so late but I just saw it. The autozone guy is partially right. The light will go out due to the amount of key cycles and the freeze frame data in the computer not noticing a catalyst issue. However that code will remain in the history of the computer. My family's automotive repair service belongs to a automotive database system that databases about 500,000 shops across the country. Without knowing you year of your taco I just ran a 06 Tacoma V6 and checked for the PO430. There was 7 confirmed fixes for the catalytic converter. I would just keep an eye on it maybe check it a couple times after a long drive. Sometimes is the cat's going bad it will be cherry red after a long drive. Or if you want here is a recommended test procedure: Tests/Procedures:1. Monitor the front and rear oxygen sensors while driving the vehicle at approximately 55 miles an hour. The oxygen sensors should cross-count consistently 8-10 times per 10 seconds.

2. Monitor the fuel trims for being normal at idle and at 55 MPH steady cruise. Normal fuel trims will range between +-10 percent.

3. Drive the vehicle at wide open throttle acceleration and then full deceleration a few times. Do this in an attempt to heat the catalytic converters up to help clean out any solution left in the catalytic converter.
    Potential Causes:Catalytic Converter

Tech Tips:Toyota has had a number of problems with the catalytic converter failures. It is possible the catalytic converter was marginal to begin with. After cleaning the carbon from the engine it may have diluted the catalytic converter enough to stop operation.

5. Feb 15, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    The P0430 code is usually thrown when the ECU receives oxygen sensor output outside the specified range. It can be a fluke. Or, it can indicate a problem with the 02 circuit (road salt getting into the wires?). Or it can be a bad 02 sensor. And lastly and least likely, it can be a bad cat converter.

Reset the code and see if it comes back. If it does, take a look at the wiring to/from the 02 sensors.

Now, about your AIRBAG LIGHT: this is the more important issue. You like having an airbag, right? So you don't die in a crash? The light means the airbag might not deploy properly. Search "spiral cable" and/or "clock spring." This is a common problem in the Gen 2 Tacomas.

6. Sep 6, 2016 at 12:49 PM
    Oaklandtaco

Oaklandtaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 4.0 prerunner
    I got my airbag light off after the recall. New seat belts new spiral cable. Now my horn works!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top