1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0505 code after not driving a while

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by nawamtombat, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Jan 26, 2018 at 7:25 AM
    nawamtombat

nawamtombat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 stock
    ..joined so i can get started
    2004 2.4l single cab

here’s some background-
    last year i got a new car and retired my tacoma as my daily driver. besides a faulty thermostat that i had fixed, it had no issues with idle or anything.

i let the car sit for weeks and when i took it out, it would idle scary high and eventually CEL came on for p0505 and i replaced the iac valve and it fixed my issues- idle went back down, cel went away, truck even passed inspection. it passed inspection in july and i was able to drive it at least once or twice a month between july and december.

here’s the issue- drove it again in december after a few weeks and the cel came back on, off, then back on during like a 30 minute trip. it didn't idle unusually high or anything. checked the code and it’s a p0505 again.

any ideas how after putting in a new iac valve and the error code going completely away, it comes back 6 months later after minimal driving?

someone suggested an idle relearn so i unplugged the negative for like a minute, plugged it back in and drove around but CEL came back on. right now i’ve unplugged the battery again and will let it sit a day.

anything else i can try?

thanks in advance

2. Jan 27, 2018 at 1:16 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Quite possible you have some dirt keeping the valve from working like it should

Rodent nest in the air intake .

You get the PO505 when a different idle pattern is detected it can be any place in the whole circuit .

Chewed wires

Products Discussed in

To Top