1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PA15-TOY and Custom console mount installed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tactical Tacoma, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Nov 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    So I really like Pb2themax's custom iphone mount. But I just dont have access to those kind of tools, programs or skills. So I fabbed up a homemade mount for my iPhone 4. Plus I didnt want to have to screw into my dash/shifter bezel.

The problem began when I realized no one makes a cradle or dock that is compatible with my Otterbox defender case, which I refuse to take my iPhone out of. So after doing a mod on my Kawasaki Ninja 250 and making a mount for the iPhone, I did the same thing with my truck. The basic idea was to take an extra belt holster that is made by Otterbox, for my case, remove the belt clip, and modify the holster into a dock/craddle. Here are some pics of both the bike and the truck mod. Hopefully this helps give others some ideas for their cell phones that have a case on them. This took 1 hour to do and cost me nothing, because I already had the aluminum, velcro and extra belt holster. The only other cost was the PA15-TOY which I paid $170 for at Cartoys. I could have gotten it for $120 shipped off eBay, but I was too impatient, lol.

I didnt do a write up or take pics of the PA15-TOY install, because there are already plenty of writeups on this forum, not to mention, the install is pretty basic and self explanitory.

Items needed:
    - Aluminum strip metal
    - Belt holster for your phone
    - Velcro
    - Bolt, washer and nut
    - Vice (preferably table mounted) to hold the aluminum
    - A little arm strength to bend the aluminum to the angle of your choice
    - PA15-TOY

Belt holster attached to a bracket I made out of aluminum strip metal from home depot. I put velcro on the bracket and on the shifter bezel. The velcro actually works/holds the bracket better then you would expect. Ignore those lines/marks on the backside, those were on there from another project that I never ended up finishing, I just used this piece of aluminum from that unfinished project.
    [​IMG]

Velcro on shifter bezel and the PA15-TOY cable ran under the bezel
    [​IMG]

Bracket mounted with velcro
    [​IMG]

Bracket with no phone in it
    [​IMG]

Bracket with phone.
    [​IMG]

It is perfectly positioned and angled so that when in "Direct mode"/Disc 8 mode, I can control it while my arm rests on the arm rest
    [​IMG]

This is the bracket I made for my Kawasaki Ninja 250 that gave me the idea for the truck
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    nice

3. Nov 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    Very nice!!

I like that bike mount a lot!

Fink

4. Nov 6, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Heres the link to it.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68101

Since that post I have painted the bracket and re-bent the bracket to a more appropriate angle that doesn't block the gauges as much

5. Nov 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    I bet that's a huge help on the bike, not just the GPS/maps either.

Fink

6. Nov 6, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    Hells yeah it is, I also have the VCAN Blinc M1 bluetooth on my helmet so that I can get turn-by-turn voice guidance, listen to music, answer calls and send texts using Vlingo voice activation. Its nice to listen to music when I ride my lil quarter litre from Dallas down to Houston some weekends. Its a huge difference in gas going to Houston on the bike as compared to the truck. Truck usually runs me about $120-140 round trip, the Ninja 250 costs about $25-35 in gas round trip. I dont care what people say about the 250's...they are awesome. I dont need a bike that goes 160mph, sure it would be nice, but I mainly bought the 250 for economical reasons and I havent regretted my purchase once.

Products Discussed in

To Top