1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pace Edwards Switchblade metal roll cover pops open on rough roads

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by pityocamptes, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Mar 24, 2018 at 9:49 PM
    pityocamptes

pityocamptes [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    2017 Tacoma TRD. Anyone else have this problem? It does not have a key lock, just a couple of tabs at the rear end to open and then when pulled all the way to the tailgate it locks. While doing moderate off roading the cover kept popping open. Had to tie it to the rear d-rings to prevent it. Anyway to fix this? The width at the front and the width of the rails at the back are the same. Should the rails taper in towards the tailgate? Thanks.

2. Mar 25, 2018 at 6:52 AM
    PacoDevo

PacoDevo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB white "Quinn the Eskimo"
    Most likely, YES. I have a PE on my truck and one on my son's Ford Ranger. Instructions are useless. Talked to one of their engineers when installing my son's. He gave me a specific measurement for the rear (tailgate end) and said to ignore instructions which did not say to taper the alignment. Had the same issue as you initially, only on paved roads! After readjusting and tapering the rails - no problems. I tapered mine, too.....so much so, when opening it, it isn't overly smooth and fast - it somewhat 'grabs' as it rolls up. This is fine with me as it doesn't open on its own. Wish I could remember the measurement, trial and error would work. Taper them in with the shims provided just enough so that when you go to open it, it hesitates and you may have to give it a little nudge to start it forward.

Products Discussed in

To Top