1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pads and Rotors poll

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by george3, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Sep 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    That's why I like their pads! :D Got at least 1 free set from them for my car. Wanted to do the same with the truck since I'd get more than 1 set for free since the truck is much newer, but I didn't have the tools to get the pins out.

Monroe supposedly does "brakes for life" so the pads should have a similar warranty. Rotors typically have a MUCH shorter warranty. For example, the only 2 I see on autozone's website for our truck have a 1 yr and 2 yr warranty. Should you get some with a longer warranty? Seems like 1 yr isn't very long.

2. Sep 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    george3

george3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Thanks. Not interested in shouting matches either - just curious about the basis for all the different opinions. Thanks again for your reply.

3. Sep 28, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Thanks for the reply tiger. Looks like they don't have much confidence in their rotors or do all rotors lack durability ?

4. Sep 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    jsutter

jsutter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Southeast Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg. Cab 4cyl 2wd
    cruise and intermittent wipers
    I personally use Raybestos brake parts. I also would recommend purchasing parts from Rockauto.com; they pretty much can't be beat for the price.

5. Sep 28, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I love Rockauto too, but it's hard to beat driving down the road to swap out parts under warranty. :D I use rockauto for things I don't plan on having to ship back. lol

Rebuilt the front end of my friend's Corolla with $500 in parts from Rockauto after a repair shop said it was totaled. :rolleyes:

6. Sep 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I'll check it out. I've bought from Racestoppers and Autoanything with good service from both and I believe Autoanything supports TW in some way - at least I see adds at the bottom of the page sometimes. I'll log onto Rockauto. Thanks again.

7. Sep 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Damn ! I knew you were handy:D

8. Sep 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    jsutter

jsutter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Southeast Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg. Cab 4cyl 2wd
    cruise and intermittent wipers
    Brake pads will last a long time if you buy good quality ones. My general experience with AutoZone parts is that you get what you pay for; there lifetime warranty pads always wore out quickly and unevenly, the rotors would be grooved and scarred within 25k miles.

Other things of note:

-Ceramic pads drove both of my dogs nuts. They apparently emit a high pitched squeal. When removed the dogs were both happy to ride in the truck again.

-Full metallic pads are for racing, they wear out the rotors prematurely.

- The Car Maintenance Bibles website has more great info on brakes and many other auto related topics than I want to type.

9. Sep 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for giving us the benefit of your life experience with these products. Now I'm off to read the Car Maintenance Bibles link. Thanks again.

10. Dec 27, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    kyakovich311

kyakovich311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    Flowmaster 40 series exhaust, K&N Intake System, Black Cat Custom Gauge faces, BHLM, leather arm rest MOD, DDM HID's. Stereo: Alpine CDA-9887 Head Unit, Polk Audio Momo MM6's Component Speakers all four doors, JL Audio 8W7 W/ Custom center console enclosure, JL 300/4, JL 500/1, Big 3 Wire Upgrade+Kinetik HC600 power cell. Street Glow Ultra bright orange neons for interior lighting. MB TKO Wheels on BFG MT KM2 31's, Viper 5704 w/ Smart Start & GPS Tracking, Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT System.
    Thanks again for the link to the CMB. Outstanding source of information! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top