1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paint my front bumper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomathunder, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    If i were to paint my front bumber which is the base black, is it possible just to use the spray paint that you can get at the auto parts store??? and if yes sould i need to use a clear coat???

2. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    thats a no go. I did my grill with the auto part store spray paint and didnt come out the same color...i'd go ahead and get it professionally done!!

3. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    jackrules

jackrules Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    yeah, unless you have high end equipment, you'll never get it to look like a pro can... it'll cost you about 300 bucks, but if you paint it by yourself, it will degrade the value of your car by a lot more than 300....

4. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    alright, thanks for the help guys, and thanks for saving me from doing it....woulda sucked when i go to trade it to get a new taco and the trade in value isnt what i wanted

5. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    chaotichoax

chaotichoax Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Howell, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/SB TRD Sport
    could you? sure, you could

factor in your paint fading, lack of professional prep work, and the correct paint code you'll never match it

with that said, if you look at the truck head on the only other color matched piece is the grill surround. you could probably get away with spray painting it if the paint was a close match. would someone notice within 5-7 ft of the truck, yes they probably will

6. Jan 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    jdmbb

jdmbb Member

Member:
    Miami and tallahassee
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP XRunner
    K&N drop-in filter, Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler on stock pipes, BFG KDW2's and TRD Duracon shift knob.
    anything can be done with rattle cans. its all in the prep work. if you were to go this route make sure you sand very well with 400 wet sand to get the oils off the plastic and get some good self etching primer that body shops use to cover up any small scratches from the sanding. then after that sand the primer with 400 again, clean and spray another coat of primer, let dry and sand very lightly with 800 grit. clean that up and spray with the color you want in light coats to build up the color. after an initial color coat wet sand with 800 or 1000 and repeat paint and sanding one or two more times. then its time to lay the final color coat. make sure whatever paint and primer you are using are compatible to avoid a nasty chemical reaction thatll make you wish u had taken it to a bodyshop and have to start over again. as for clear coat... your on your own there as ive never sprayed clear from a can. it can be done, just needs to be done right with lots of patience. ive painted many friends bumpers and such with spray cans and it comes out great. just remember, the color of your primer is very important to the outcome of the color you want. if its a dark color use dark primer, light colors use white or grey to make the colors pop.

Products Discussed in

To Top