1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paint on bumper chips/scratches easily?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JPinCowtown, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Jun 23, 2009 at 12:44 PM
    JPinCowtown

JPinCowtown [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09' SR5 4x4
    Driving across a friend's ranch this weekend there was a small bush growing up in the middle of the road. It was scrawny - about 2' high with 2 or 3 main stalks about the size of a pencil so I just drove over it - like you always do in a truck. Later I saw what at first looked like black marks on the bumper but on closer inspection they were scratches all the way through the paint - it looked like somebody had gone over it with a cheese grater! Is it normal for the paint on the bumper to be that fragile? Maybe I'm just used to having a chrome bumper on previous trucks - or maybe I need to buy a Ranch Hand or Bull Bar...

2. Jun 23, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    Unfortunately, yes. These things will scratch if you sneeze too close. A bodyshop manager at the dealer I bought mine said the factory puts the bare minimum amount of paint to pass finishing inspection. He said the computer controlled paint system is down to a science as to what the minimum amount of paint is. Based on the paint's performance, I have no reaseon to doubt him. Make sure you keep it well waxed/polished...

3. Jun 23, 2009 at 12:50 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I guess it may depend on the tree you ran over and the type. I had to have my bumper re-painted (now off) due to paint issues and staining.
    But I have ran over small trees in the woods, if they got past the skid plate they didn't damage the paint like that. Most of it was some elbow grease and a buff out.

You may want to go to some other form of protection for the front, but still it would piss me off to see it happen to my ride.

4. Jun 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I have an 09 with 9000km's and it already has quite a few rock chips. The paint really does seem cheap. I can't imagine how the bumpers look on all you serious offroaders

5. Dec 27, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    The paint is basically cake frosting.

Either don't drive over stuff like that...or get used to scratches...or take the opportunity to do the center section of your bumper in vinyl.

Products Discussed in

To Top