1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

paint repair.....and not just a chip or two

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mattsowell, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Oct 2, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    mattsowell

mattsowell [OP] Ridiculously lazy member

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD DC SB sport debadged
    no seatbelt chime, stubby antenna, 5100's front and back with AAL, offset rims with Dura-Trac rubber, weathertec mats, Image Dynamic sub with 5 channel Amp and Kenwood Deck with steering wheel control, PIA bulbs, K&N air filter, ARB Delux front bumper
    So here is my "scratch". I got hit and run in a parking lot and my deductable is $500 of which I don't want to spend. Not sure how much it is gonna be to fix but I'm trying to figure out if I can take a pay out and do the job myself. I want it to look good but since I will be getting a custom paint job in a couple years it doesn't have to be perfect. Is this doable? how many hours labor for a noob like myself?

somebastard.jpg

2. Oct 2, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    tommyxv

tommyxv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Damn that sucks...i feel your pain. I would grab some 3M compound and see how well you can clean it up first. If you are going to custom paint the truck later, just grab the color match paint at Pepboys or your local auto parts store. I like the pen/brush, as the paint seems to be self leveling and the brush strokes dissapear.

3. Oct 2, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    mattsowell

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    no seatbelt chime, stubby antenna, 5100's front and back with AAL, offset rims with Dura-Trac rubber, weathertec mats, Image Dynamic sub with 5 channel Amp and Kenwood Deck with steering wheel control, PIA bulbs, K&N air filter, ARB Delux front bumper
    ya, from what i've read here, pen with multiple applications is the key. I have all the time in the world as I"m not gettin rid of my ride till she's tits up. i have to wait till next thursday to have insurance look at it and tell me what it's gonna cost but unless its more than my deductable i might as well do it myself. in the meantime i need to find a way to hunt down the piece of $(*#!@* that hit me...

4. Oct 2, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    mr2crazed

mr2crazed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morro Bay, CA.
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner SR5
    That almost looks like mine, although my damage is on the flare and not the bumper like yours. And also was a hit and run.

I haven't gotten the pen yet. I wasn't sure it'd work since the damage is down the the black plastic and wouldn't adhere. If you get, be sure to post with your results.

5. Oct 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    If its down to the black plastic you will need to deciede how long you can live with it till you get the truck painted (because there are no quick fixes on plastic)- OR

Go to a REAL paint store where they sell to body shops and the like and get either 3M or (I think) AFM ? plastic bumper color match in a spray can and then treat it like the repair it is.

6. Oct 3, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Well if its on the bumper and its flexable look at Duplicolor I have used there paint and the match is pretty good, If the area is some what ridged I would give this a try.

7. Oct 3, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    senna

senna Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose CA.
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAB TRD-OR OME shocks 885 and AAL
    All the brown stuff will come off with compound or thinner or what ever. The black part isn't really that big, so some touch up paint would be the first and cheapest way to go.

8. Oct 4, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    mattsowell

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    Ya, not too bad. Gonna give it my best wish bad Karma on the bastrd anyhow...Will the touch up pen for 15 bucks at my local dealership gonna work on plastic? I thought for some reason it was a metal only thing(says the guy that actually knows nothing about painting)

Products Discussed in

To Top