1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Paint to stop rust?

Discussion in 'Armor' started by MelonPitch, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Nov 23, 2020 at 2:50 PM
    MelonPitch

MelonPitch [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD-OR DCLB
    So I received my bare metal sliders ~3 months ago. I followed some advice/guides and cleaned them and painted them with Rustoleum primer and flatblack paint. Not sure if I did a shit job or picked wrong stuff but they are starting to rust in multiple spots now. For now I plan to just do a little sanding and touch up the spots with the paint I still have, but want to figure out what I'm doing wrong to help prevent it in the future.

TLDR:
    Looking for advice on what to use / do to best prevent rust. I'll note I do live near the coast so I'm sure that doesn't help.

2. Nov 30, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    If there is rust coming up from under the paint then two things could of happened.

1: there was some rust that was already starting that didnt not get cleaned up enough.
    2: the paint you sprayed on was too thin and allowed water to get past the paint.

You will want to clean the rusty areas, spray with a self etching primer, and then repaint. Put the paint on a little heavier. You can always sand down drips in the paint if you need to.

LoveableWerewolf and Tacotsubo like this.
  3. Nov 30, 2020 at 2:46 PM
    Tacotsubo

Tacotsubo Mediocre at best

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DCSB TRD OffRoad
    Fox 2.0 PS Coil 3 Inch Lift, Fox 2.0 Smooth, AAL, Modular bed platform, Softopper, New Tail LIght, Rock Sliders
    I agree with /\

What I also did prior to painting was pressure wash the sliders and let thoroughly dry for a day or 2. Then I started with primer coats. I think I sprayed at keast 4 coats of primer and then 4 coats of black. I sprayed fairly light each time and it gradually built up the thickness to where I wanted it.

4. Nov 30, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I'd use rust encapsulator for my base coat, then finish with a textured product.

www.monstaliner.com sells both.

Or you can use POR 15 as your encapsulator and Krylon / Rustoleum as your color coat.

Just remember if you use as intended, they are going to get the finish broken and need your attention. Thats why I'd use Monstaliner, as it's much harder to scrape (barring direct rock/concrete contact)

hirod likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top