1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painted OEM bed extender.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kryten, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Jan 27, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    kryten

kryten [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    It will get torn up a bit after repeat use, but that isn't any surprise really. I got about 5 or 6 trips only so far with 2 - 3 kayaks at a time and it has some dents and rips in it, but still works well and I did not have to replace it with new insulation yet. Maybe after next summer.

If you go regularly, you will probably want to replace and cable tie new once every season, but that stuff is cheap anyway. Works great for me, and both kayaks and bed extender don't scratch, and that was my intention.

I can take a picture once I get home of the current state of the extender after two years in the truck. (under tonneau cover most of the time)

2. Mar 10, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    Yakoma

Yakoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    ATL-ish
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 - White
    Black APS Bull Bar Black Westin Step Bars Black ARE camper top with Yakima J-cradles (replaced Roll-X Tonneau) Black AMP HD Bed Extender
    I tried the pipe insulation and it looked good, but it just didn't hold up after the first trip. It was ripped and tattered. So I removed the top bar and sprayed it with Bed Armor (4 coats). Haven't tried it out yet, but it looks pretty solid.

3. Mar 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    Yakoma

Yakoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    ATL-ish
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 - White
    Black APS Bull Bar Black Westin Step Bars Black ARE camper top with Yakima J-cradles (replaced Roll-X Tonneau) Black AMP HD Bed Extender
    Bed Armor coating didn't hold up much better. Scraped off where the yak was riding on the rail. I put the pipe insulation back on it. Will keep looking for something more sturdy to apply.

Products Discussed in

To Top