1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painted Pinstripe removal?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by staplak, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Dec 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    staplak

staplak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guntersville, AL
    Vehicle:
    04 Black Prerunner SR5 DoubleCab
    Thule Xsporter Rack
    I am trying to remove painted pinstripes on my taco. I have tried some easy off oven cleaner and in the spots i tried it has taken off the pinstripe but left a slight haze over where the pinstripe was. Has anyone had experience doing this on theirs? Are the stripes below the clearcoat? Everywhere I looked online everyone said the easyoff would work with no problems like i have had.

2. Dec 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    I've heard to use a blowdryer or something, but im not sure. I guess that weren't much of a help:D

3. Dec 14, 2009 at 3:31 PM
    Coldspire

Coldspire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B-Rad
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Xtra Cab, 2.7L 4cyl. Manual
    Grill guard, Helo rims on Wrangler 245/75 R16s, Altezza taillights, Kenwood DVD Player
    I dunno about pinstripes but I took off the TACOMA sticker on my tailgate with a blowdryer and some Goo-Gone to clean off the residue...

4. Dec 14, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are they painted? Or are they vinyl strips?

The blow-dryer trick will only work on vinyl pinstripes.

If you're dealing with paint...that's a whole different ballgame. I'm not sure oven cleaner was the best thing to do either. THat could ruin the paint underneath. If they are paint - you should call a local professional paint shop and ask them what chemicals you could use to remove it.

You really need to determine what they are...paint or vinyl. BIG difference.

5. Dec 14, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    Also there is an official ask a detailer thread under the Detailing Topic Group on this forum. I think he might be able to answer your question

Products Discussed in

To Top