1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting a Tacoma

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by bdub241, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Feb 27, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    bdub241

bdub241 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am on the market trying to buy a new Tacoma. One of the best deals I have found is on a 2005 TRD Sport, 4 door, Tacoma Prerunner. The only problem is that it is my least favorite Tacoma color, that lighter blue color. But my question is how much would it cost to paint this Tacoma in just the basic white or black that Tacoma's are in?

2. Feb 27, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    To change colours on a vehicle, you're looking at a lot of money. In my shop, I'd charge absolutely no less than $6500. But, prices DO vary, as the quality of work varies. My shop does high-end work, and you pay for it. Take it to Maaco, have them fire up the "ambassador special" or whatever they call it, and you can get away with a much lower price, but it looks like a Maaco paint job...

I'd recommend just buying a truck that's the colour you like right off the bat. The difference in cost by adding your preferred colour of paint can really offset any savings you made on the sticker price.

Plus, speedway blue is the best colour for a 2nd gen! :)

3. Feb 27, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Double post, I know... But just some more info for ya:

Make SURE you're comparing apples to apples when getting price quotes. I mean, my shop would charge you $6500, but we'd remove your front bumper, remove your flares, take off your doors, strip doors (to paint jambs/B-pillar/rocker panel/etc...) Remove taillights, headlights, remove hood, paint hood underside, etc... We would also do all the bodywork (it's a 2005, so it's not perfect) get rid of rust, fix small dents, and get rid of stone chips. Basically your truck is going to come out looking like it came off a showroom floor. Hence the price...

Go to Maaco, they soap-sand the exterior, leave your scratches/dents/chips alone. They do NOT paint the jambs (inner doors/b-pillar/underhood, etc...) just paint the actual exterior of the truck. They mask all your headlights, tail lights, fog lights, etc... Then spray it with shit paint, and even shittier clear that I wouldn't use if it was given to me for free. Then, you pay a fraction of what a good shop would do...

So, it's up to your needs/wants/budget. Me, I'm a perfectionist. If a shop painted over stone-chips, I'd be FURIOUS! But you may not be... So, keep that in mind when shopping around. Make sure you ask exactly what work will be done so you know you're comparing apples to ???

4. Feb 27, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    Rucas

Rucas 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    ya buy the color you want first.
    When reselling the vehicle it will kill your price not to have the color matching the VIN.

5. Mar 13, 2011 at 10:36 PM
    Spitfire12

Spitfire12 Well-Known Member

Member:

I were think to restore paint or repaint, wow that lots money. i would not pay for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top