1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting emblems...opinions

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by yota828, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    yota828

yota828 [OP] Member

Member:
    LENOIR,NC
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma
    20% tint on front 5% on the rest, clear corners, half clear half red tail lights, painted grille and emblem, 3in ome coils(883), pro comp struts/shocks, toytec aal
    I was going to paint my chrome emblems black. Was gonna ask if anyone knos how bedliner spray would work out on them...

2. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Most people are going to tell you to plasti-dip them, you can paint them while still on the truck because once dry the plasti dip peels right off without damaging the paint or the finish. It's quick and easy. There are those who did use a bedliner spray on them and they turned out great but they look just like plasti-dip but with the bedliner you have to pull the emblems off, get the adhesive off the emblem and truck surface, then get double sided tape and line them back up with the surface to install them back on. In my opinion, just go with plasti-dip.

3. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    yota828

yota828 [OP] Member

Member:
    LENOIR,NC
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma
    20% tint on front 5% on the rest, clear corners, half clear half red tail lights, painted grille and emblem, 3in ome coils(883), pro comp struts/shocks, toytec aal
    Should i clear coat it with the bedliner spray. Used the plasti dip the other day and dont like it to much and dont think it will last. Thanks for the info

4. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    How many coats of plasti dip did you use? there are guys who (myself included) dipped their wheels, bumpers, grills, and have had them last for almost a year now. But if you go with the bed liner I wouldn't recommend using a clear coat since the bedliner spray, if you use a clear coat then you might as well just use regular black paint. Just remember though, if you don't use plasti dip chances are you may have to sand the chrome with a 400 grit to scuff it up and then prime it or the paint may chip off

5. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    I scuffed them up real quick then used krylon plastic fusion, satin black with clear coat, they pop real nice. I wish i plastidipped tho i would have saved alot of time haha. Not sure how bedliner would look but if you like the color and looks of it then go for it. FIEND CLUB!

6. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Here are pictures of my chrome grill that I plasti dipped and one of my chrome bumper and wheels after I plasti dipped them
    [​IMG]

well as soon as my picture loads I'll post it but for some reason I always have problems with uploading pictures

7. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    yota828

yota828 [OP] Member

Member:
    LENOIR,NC
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma
    i put 4 or 5 coats on. my emblems dont have a gap really from the body and when i went to peel it off the letters came too so i had to end up cuttin around the letters. some was to close n the chrome is showin a lil on some. i may give it another shot. just sprayed the chrome on my bumper with the bedliner spray till i can afford a bumper n turned out pretty good

8. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Tape off as much as you can and when its still good and wet, peel off the tape so it won't dry to the letters, do this about 3-4 times and once it's fully dry, etch the letters with a toothpick and for the inside of the O and the A's use the toothpick and tweezers, a lot of people have had nice turnouts with this method, try that if you're willing to give it another shot

Products Discussed in

To Top