1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

parallel parking and washing shell

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by superminsoo, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Oct 29, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    superminsoo

superminsoo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    How is parallel parking with a shell for those living in metropolitan areas? I have a snuglid sl that im thinking of trading for a shell but worried about fitting into small spaces where i cant see my back too well. I noticed it was a little harder to park when i added an inch or two for the tonneau cover. I parallel park at least 4 times a day.

Also, how much longer does it take to wash your car with a shell and how often do you guys wax the shell?

2. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    It's nice to have the back-up camera in this application. Hard to see out the back with a full shell.

Washing does not take much longer, but waxing requires a ladder- used to get the roof by standing in the truck bed.

3. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    superminsoo

Member:
    Yea it'd be nice to have the back up camera but mine is a 2007.

Edit* how often do you have to wax to maintain the fiberglass?

4. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I have a back-stopper. It beeps at me when I get close to things. If you're going to add a shell, it might not be a bad investment to add a camera or sensor system of some sort.

5. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    superminsoo

Member:
    Yea, but they typically run somewhere around 300 dollars?

6. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    http://www.amazon.com/Crimestopper-CA5005SMD-Backstopper-Vehicle-Warning/dp/B001JT5D0S

This is the kit I have. On Amazon for under $70. I never mounted the LED display because it's useless but it beeps faster the closer you get to something and goes solid beep when you're 1' away. The downside is you have to drill a hole in the bumper to install this particular model. Others are surface mounted. I think new I paid about $125 for mine and it's worth every penny!

7. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    It's definitely more difficult to see out the back with 3 tinted windows between you and the outside world. Mine are so tinted that my auto-dimming rear-view mirror has never dimmed.....I'm hoping there is some way to turn it off for good, since whenever I start the vehicle, it automatically comes back on.

I try not to parallell park if at all possible, and if I do have to, I make good use of the camera.

The only problem I find with the camera, is if it gets too dirty it can be very difficult to see out of. The position of mine means that any sort of road dirt gets on the lens, and I have to constantly keep check on it.

8. Oct 29, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I have a Dolphin Echomaster Backup sensor. It's super easy to install. It just mounts in the trailer hitch and gets it's power from the trailer hitch jack. It sends a wireless signal to a receiver unit plugged into the cigarette lighter.

It beeps when you're within 7', beeps faster when you're within 5' and sends a steady tone when you're within 3'. I like it better than backup cameras as I can still turn my head back and see what's behind me while listening to the beeps, whereas with a backup camera you're focused on the little screen in front of you. They're expensive but I found mine on clearance at Pep Boys ($50). The only time it doesn't work is when the tailgate is down (beeps steady like something is behind me).

It's pretty sensitive and will pick up curbs, or even small brush.
    http://www.truckboxshop.com/browse.cfm/4,1059.html

There are also backup sensors available from other companies which can be mounted in your bumper (but you'd have to drill and wire them up). They wouldn't be as good in my opinion if you tow. They would sense something behind you whenever you backed your trailer. Mine is removed while towing.

9. Oct 29, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Since I don't live in a big town I've never paralled parked my rig but I have backed down alot of boats ramps with the snugtop on and it's never been an issue.

10. Oct 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I have the Echomaster reversing sensor system installed on my truck too. I don't tow so it suits my needs. It makes me feel much more comfortable when reversing, combined with the camera. Mine is the type where they drill into the bumper though.

A pic:

P1014059_e4a80ee02fa85c90ac3f5286cd9c03138297ac73.jpg

The sensors are those two black dots on the bumper.

11. Oct 29, 2010 at 3:23 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    This is the one I have. It's the step looking thing at the rear hitch:
    [​IMG]

12. Oct 29, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    A bit longer...and you should wax it every time you wax your truck. Duh.

13. Oct 29, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I parallel park my DC 4x4 Sport short bed quite often because I travel from Baltimore to DC for work a few times each month.

The shell made no difference for me because I only use the mirrors to parallel park.

I wax it when I wax the rest of the truck.

14. Oct 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Blind spot mirrors are a must with a shell and I use them on all my vehicles. Saved me many times. I do like the camera on my 2010 and am getting a little too dependant on it.

15. Oct 29, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    dogbite

dogbite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '10 double cab TRD OR
    OME lift, Leer shell, Beefed sliders, Extra 12V outlets for rear bench
    Definitely need the backup camera.

I stand on the tire to do the top of my shell. Helps to have something to step up with but it can be done without. I have a DC shortbed though. On a long bed, i might not be able to reach everything.

16. Oct 29, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Parallel parking is no big deal with a cap. My cap glass is tinted black, too. Honestly, it's no tougher, just use your side mirrors, and you're set.

17. Oct 30, 2010 at 12:45 AM
    superminsoo

Member:
    Thanks for all the replies. I like the products but am really leaning towards the echo master backup sensor because there's no installation. Evil monkey, how do you lock your sensor?

18. Oct 30, 2010 at 5:31 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    These trucks are small, no issues parallel parking for me.

19. Oct 30, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    It comes with a keyed locking pin for the hitch. The pin goes through the hole in the side of the hitch (just like a ball pin would).

20. Oct 30, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    superminsoo

Member:
    Thanks again EM for all the info and everyone else too. Even if I don't get a shell im going to look into the sensor.

Products Discussed in

To Top