1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Part II: Advice on trails and camping between Hwy 70 and Sheridan WY for upcoming summer trip

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by pearing, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Dec 28, 2021 at 1:59 PM
    pearing

pearing [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 quadcab
    Part II: Advice on trails and camping between Hwy 70 and Sheridan WY for upcoming summer trip

Hello TW, looking for advice on an upcoming trip for the summer of 2022. I have two weeks and plan to make a run from Durango CO to Sheridan WY via as many beautiful places as I can. This is part two: I am including the Itinerary and discussions for the first section from Durango to Hwy 70 here for those who want to catch up: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...o-and-hwy-70-for-upcoming-summer-trip.745989/

I am looking for input and advice and from those who know and have an intimate knowledge of the area north of I 70. I am going to share on more than one page for more coverage (if okay with Moderators…)

Background:

This will be a solo trip. Yes, I have done such things before (did the Dalton Hwy to Deadhorse solo in 97, Rubicon etc..) Me? 57 year old semi fit high school shop teacher-welding, fabrication, woods etc. Assume I have experience (I do) and enough common sense to know my boundaries (I do.) Also assume that the truck is capable (it also is.) The trip will happen around the first week of August and depends on lots of things like weather and fires in/near the area of the planned route, Covid and family health. I am choosing the Durango area because I have been there before and want to explore more and I have a good friend with a cabin off of Hwy 550 just past Purgatory on Cascade Creek that is available as a staging area. Planning to stay one night in the cabin… maybe two and then head north.

Plan part 2:

For this installment I am asking about the section north of I70 at Vail pass up to Sheridan Wy. Yes, there is a book. Yes I have it. Also have maps. I am looking for local expertise now, and definitely any suggestions that will avoid crowds. Here is the current fantasy that starts with the end of day five on the trail at Dotsero CO. I have included the route in rather cryptic form but also Google map captures so you know where I am headed, as requested last installment.

Discussion Time: I am having second thoughts about my shift west from where I come out at Vail Pass… because closer to the front range there are a lot of seemingly great trails; but, also crowds. Catch 22 for me so really wondering what persons with local knowledge would choose???

Day 6:

4GHOXAdd3O5iGONqbXiOEknxJx-H70qYy9-Hjv-g_cc7d7f7f4d293b748caabd36271f8343bdb053c1.jpg

Take Coffee Pot Rd FS 600, 142, 601 all the way to New Castle Buford road (rt) to Flat Tops Scenic Byway to yampa

Book II: Area 6: Coffee Pot Rd (76) Take side loop on grizzly Jeep Road (77) take side loop on Dead Horse Loop (72)

Camp off FS 8 before Yampa-Chapman reservoir etc. or dispersed.

This is all dirt road with nothing challenging-might be a nice rest/milage day

Departure:

From chapman reservoir:

Lt CR 25

Lt FR 132A/90

Straight on FR 29 (past right turn on FR 29)

Rt FR 37D

Rt FR 37

Rt/Str FR 27

Str FR 33 to Steamboat Springs CO

Day 7:

wMKmcmfjzLjSF02tKqYe-kPqwWseG0H5equJJVWd_151c093ddaa22d53934335bae1fabde5e4e0d7d4.jpg

Steamboat Springs CR 129 to Rt on Seedhouse Rd. CR (64) turns into FR 400

LT FR 433 Book II: Area 5: Farwell mnt via Lost Dog (67), Hahns Peak (66), Ellis Jeep Trail (65)

Str Fr 43 to Str Fr 44

Str FR 409

Rt FR 414

Rt FR 413

Rt FR 550

St FS 1101

Rt FS 499

Lt FS 82

Lt 496 to Hog Park Reservoir.

Google has a quirk such that I cannot make a route if it is closed for the winter… drives me nuts. That said I don’t have to loop up into Wyoming to get to Hog Park Guard Station. Looks to be a fun day.

Day 8:

p0P1eO_SYyIl9an7HSbyLKK_5uaO_BDtCqv4fLSE_7fcda221f3899631e7f7d5f7f978923afe244c58.jpg

CR 6B from hog Park Guard station

Lt Big Creek Rd to

Rt WY SR 230/CO SR 125

Lt CO SR 127

Lt FR 512

Rt FR 543

Lt FR 511 to Lt FR 500 turns into FR 660

Rt FR 225

Rt CR 130

Lt FR 103

Camp anywhere along this road

I may take a different route to FS 103 by coming in more westerly and climbing up to Libby Flats and then down and around (Google won’t let me do that route…) One of the online trails sites for 4x4 routes claims that FS 103 is well worth the trouble. Fascinated with the Snowies right now.

Day 9:

I01nKEXj0tuY3b9_xrx0peclz88KzOVVR8R_ahqs_2d509ef4e0cde7ab2b67c636be9be9078cc85c74.jpg

No real list of roads here as it is a straight forward northerly route on well established roads (mostly dirt) up into the foothills of the Big Horn Mountains. I am using Marc Smith’s Wyoming Backroads book for this area in the Big Horns. Getting to some of the sites wife and I missed on our trip through the Big Horns in 2021.

Day 10:

Have a choice here as I can blast up the west side through Ten Sleeps and revisit some fun wheeling at Shell Reservoir, but I am thinking that Soldier Park might be a fun challenge and I get Crazy Woman canyon. Decisions decisions…

4bRq0F9h99j8OUQFsdCEwJP60fJhBAKS4AULLDqU_e58a5d943b3d38a8691aa16e7983110e07dd904d.jpg

Day 11:

Something I planned for 2021, but we went out through the Beartooth mountains instead. The start of heading home…

eOl4Cgw-gwSFxKDpnnzVPgYXbcpWHj6oySvKS-4G_4b0f215ed25fc1beaba2f8b3322cde69f7582f9a.jpg

Destination: Tongue River Breaks Hiding and Riding Area (Near Ashland MT)

Return to Sheridan via 335/87. 87 turns into Main, Stay on Main and make LT just before going under I90 onto Decker Rd/Wyoming 338. Just past Decker mine (settling pond on Rt) taker a Rt onto Tongue River Reservoir rd (toward tongue river reservoir state park.) At South Fork Monument Creek stay Rt onto Tongue River Rd. At Wy 566 take a Rt. At Birney Rt on Hanging Woman Creek Rd., then Lt on Est Fork Hanging Woman R (FS 4085). Lt on FS 4081. Lt on FS 4802. Rt FS 4021. Continue on this road until it makes a slight lt and look for a goat track on the left. This goes to Irv Staker Pond/Dam. If you reach the campsite at Blacks Pond Campground we have gone too far. This route is a loop.

Camp: Dispersed camping at The Irv Stacker pond or further at Blacks Pond Campground. Both very remote.

Departure: Continue (Rt) on FS 4021

Day 12:

jBN1ANbSKFqAy6QNoHgvAjUBHSUGP27pIaz2HC3N_a5d869b893b798f53911ef62a2365812b481f05a.jpg

Destination: Opechee Park 185 Mi.

Rt on FS 4021 then Rt on FS 4131/O’Dell Creek Rd. At T, Lt on FS 4095/Cow Creek Rd. Lt on MT 484. Rt on FS 4094/15 Mile Rd. (if missed take Rt on 10 Mile Rd.) At T go Lt on Sonnette Rd. Then Rt on Upper Big Pumpkin Rd. Rt on MT 212 to Broadus MT. Stay rt in Broadus and remain on 212 through town and then Lt on Big Powder River East Rd. Lt on Powderville East Rd. Stay straight onto Ekalaka Rd. then Lt on Brewer Rd. -go past Discovery Dino Hunts! Or not and stay on Ekalaka Rd. Ekalaka Rd turns into Powderville Rd again, follow onward. At T Lt on Chalk Buttes Rd. and follow into Ekalaka. Rt on Speelmon to MT 323 and take a Lt. Take next road on Lt-Woolston Rd. Lt on Rd 101/Opechee rd. Continue on Opechee Park Rd. to Opechee Park.

Camp: Dispersed camping here. 3900 feet. Riding?

Departure: Continue East on Opechee Park Rd.

Day 13:

Now for some exploring-going to find the fords of the little Missouri River and do as many as I can today…

Plan to end up near Medora ND. Know a great dispersed campsite near there.

Okay that is it. Ideas? Opinions? Help me out here… and thanks in advance!

2. Dec 29, 2021 at 7:46 PM
    GPatriot

GPatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma Sport 4x4 V6 DCSB AT Loaded
    KDMaxPro 10.0, OME 2" Med Duty lift, RCI Sliders, RoofRack, Skid Plate, etc.
    Man, looks like you have it mostly figured out. For those spots you're looking for somewhere to go, just adventure and find dirt roads. See what you find. Allow an extra day or two for it and don't worry if you miss other things.

I'm planning a trip for 2022 as well, solo, and two weeks like you. Not sure what part of the year yet. Probably later in Sept.
    The plan so far is from home/Cincinnati I'm going to start in the Black Hills, adventure around for a day or two, then head into Wyoming and see what happens.

Products Discussed in

To Top