1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Passing Inspection for Registration/Insurance?

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Suspension' started by billygoat, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Oct 31, 2022 at 7:55 PM
    billygoat

billygoat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    6” Fabtech Lift, 35’s, lots o’ goodies
    Has anyone here has a SAS’d Tacoma pass inspection for registration or insurance? I’m on the verge of SASing a 2nd gen with a salvage title and would need it to pass an inspection to get a rebuilt title so I can insure it. Has anyone done this? Any idea if the SAS would be a problem?

2. Oct 31, 2022 at 8:22 PM
    02hilux

02hilux Paved roads not required

Member:
    Planet: EARTH
    A few years ago, in CA, brake light inspection need to be completed with factory equipped parts as sold from factory. Meaning you must pass the inspection with IFS components prior to SA.

Why not visit your local brake light inspection site and ask? Must easier and you'll get more of a direct answer than asking on here. Each state is different.

3. Nov 1, 2022 at 5:33 AM
    1999RegCab

1999RegCab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cacti Land, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1999 Reg Cab, 2.7, 5 speed
    3-link SAS
    Interesting question. AZ is way more open to vehicle modifications than most other States. I did not have any issues passing any inspections after the SAS.

So I suppose it all depends on where you live and how strict the rules are and how much they actually enforce them.

4. Nov 1, 2022 at 7:57 AM
    v5ensx

v5ensx CARB legal is not CALI legal

Member:
    In California, if you're buying back or buying a vehicle that is totaled by the insurance company and the vehicle has not been previously registered as "salvage" in the State of California, a brake light certification is required before the DMV will issue you a salvaged title of ownership. When I had my 88 4R totaled by the insurance company a few years ago, I end up with a solid axle and 5vz swap. Passed state referee for the engine swap/emissions part without issue but failed the brake light inspection due to the incompatible/incorrect brake components. I was told that the "brake components" on the vehicle is not factory, which result in the failed inspection. Nothing was reported to DMV as they still use paper certification and I took the vehicle to a different inspection site and passed. Guess it comes down to the inspector? But I was told by the second site, I should have kept everything original before swapping to a SA. Guessed he didn't care and noticed both front and rear brakes are new.

On the other hand, by buddy's tacoma with a FF80 rear end failed at 3 different inspection site. They told him his year tacoma did not come equipped with rear disc/drum. He end up putting a tacoma rear axle back on before they passed his vehicle.

So you need to visit your local inspection site in person. Don't call over the phone as they might give you the run around. Show up and tell them what you plan on doing with the truck and if they'll inspect the vehicle with different brake or brake from a different manufacturer of you're using 1t axle.

5. Nov 1, 2022 at 8:02 AM
    SH10151

SH10151 Farang

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR AC UP 4x4
    See if you can get AAA to go it. They don’t give a shit.

Fernando likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top