1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Payload Capacity Confusion

Discussion in 'Towing' started by PasqueFlower, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Apr 11, 2022 at 8:50 AM
    PasqueFlower

PasqueFlower [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD
    OME Dakar Leaf Pack
    So many threads to read after searching this topic, apologies if this has been beaten to death. While looking for slide-in camper that would not max out my GVWR I read posts stating they are using leaf packs (I love my OME Dakars to handle occasional loads of lumber, firewood and hay) and other mods to increase the Tacoma's payload capacity. And while I appreciate the Towing Bible thread, I did not see this emphasized in that location. So, is it really possible to safely increase the payload capacity? My understanding is that without gutting the axles, transmission, etc., this isn't really an option. So I'm left with carrying very little weight in the bed of the truck if I start with two adults, two dogs, camping gear, basic tools, 5 gallons water, 4 gallons of spare fuel. Appreciate your thoughts.

2. Apr 11, 2022 at 8:55 AM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    You aren't going to increase the capacity of the truck. Using aftermarket leaf springs, overload springs, sumo springs, airbags will only change how the truck handles the load.

Juspat2 likes this.
  3. Apr 11, 2022 at 9:09 AM
    PasqueFlower

PasqueFlower [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD
    OME Dakar Leaf Pack
    That's what I thought. Thank you.

Products Discussed in

To Top