1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pelfreybilt Roofrack

Discussion in 'Vendor Reviews' started by HolyReptar, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jan 29, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    HolyReptar

HolyReptar [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bry
    Thousand Oaks
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Some Bolt ones here and there
    This product is just as sturdy as the rest of Tyler's products. You can tell that he definitely put research into the mounting points of the rack. The mounts didn't touch the roof at all, however drilling through the rubber of the weather rails was a pain in the butt. Much as Tyler said it would be. I installed it myself which was definitely handy. Tyler can make any 40" light bar mount to the rack as long as you give him dimensions or let him use the bar to mock up the tabs. You have the option to include a NMO mount and a CB mount tab on the roof rack which I decided to include. I also added the polycarbonate wind deflector to my rack.

I had to dremel out the NMO tab a little in order to fit my NMO mount into it, but thats a small fitament issue that comes along with any custom piece. When you are installing the wind deflector I highly recommend getting some foam/rubber stripping to place against the portions of the deflector that touch metal at all. I failed to do this when I first installed it and it vibrated so much that it sounded like my truck was a jet plane trying to take off.

In my opinion I think you can put a thinner wind deflector on there because it affects light output of the LED bar placed behind it. On a positive note of the LED bar on the rack. If you have a sport you might have mild hood reflection that will affect you(barely due to the hood scoop) and if you have lack the hood scoop, I don't believe it will really affect you. So the bar being recessed back takes off some of the typical reflection you will come across.

I really liked the design of the mounting points to the roof and the rack itself. They are sturdy and make aligning the roof bar a breeze. They also make it so you can place the rack on to the roof alone with some strength and careful placement ( not my fault if you drop it on your roof though :anonymous: ) from the bed of your truck.

Tyler also keeps the design of the rack from affecting your satellite radio or GPS if you have it mounted which is great if you use it. I opted to never use mine again and use it as a way to run the wiring for my antennas and roof lights.

In regards to MPG, if you put a roof rack on your truck expect to lose some mileage. However I only lost about 1 mpg on my 80mi round trip drive to work and him. Thats actually not to bad considering. So I went from 14.5 mpg to about 13.5 with the best I had seen being 15 after the rack.

When it comes to wind noise, you can tell the rack is up there but it isn't as loud as when I put Yakima roof bars on my wagon. (keep in mind this is with the wind deflector)

One last point. Tyler suggests that you put some silicone into the bolt holes within the roof to prevent water from getting into the cab via the roof holes. I highly recommend following those instructions. However, don't do what I did and place silicon all over everything because its not needed:eek:. It looked like a kindergardener hand painted my mounting points with silicone. That was definitely over kill since when I removed the bolts you could see the silicon in the threads and in the holes still. (This did not affect my threads themselves at all)

*PROS*
    - easy to install
    - sturdy mounting points and locations ( I stood on the rack at 215lbs no issues)
    - variable light mounting options through tylers building process
    - options for antenna mounts
    - no issues with current sat radio

*CONS*
    - only 4 points to to strap too, the rack could definitely use more
    - the wind deflector is slightly too thick, it definitely affects light output more then you would expect

With all this being said, when buying a roof rack. Think of everything you want to use it for and how you plan on using it.

IMG_8586_zps63bb9745_b1de080f2923ac5e729a111c8f4ff6017c23d80c.jpg

73B10354-0A95-405B-8F32-739B241BF199_zps_e7ca5146b673194c7afef07f94453e9fa7760414.jpg

y4u4a3ug_zps75e24cbe_2d7dc63b32d7363b7c21dcf4e68e5144228d928f.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. Feb 10, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    Copperdoc1

Copperdoc1 Capt Caveman

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ohio
    Total chaos UCAs, 265/75-16s, BAK rollback tonneau, custom lights and rack.
    That's a nice rack you got there! I'm looking to build one myself and would like to see pictures of the mounting points. I need a rack, but I don't want a basket. Just a good set of crossbars to put kayaks on. I would get a yakima but they sit way too high and are ugly as sin.

To Top