1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pelfreybilt vs Demello bumper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TexanTacoma, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Jan 28, 2016 at 11:31 AM
    Trailworx

Trailworx Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 FJ Cruiser Prerunner
    Trailworx front and rear bumpers, Icon coilovers, method double standards, General Grabbers
    First of like to say that both bumpers are similar and I know Demello has been out a lot longer as a manufacture. Jason's customer service and attention to detail is top notch.
    I'm in the fabrication business as well and I'm influenced by his products as I'm sure pelfrey if as well be seeing the similar design characteristics.
    Put all that aside when I lived in California and needed some specialty tools, advice or just some help with my project Jason opened the doors for me and gave me a hand. It's a rare find for one fabricator to help another fabricator especially when we're direct competition in the Fj world.
    Yes I've run he's products on my rig (hybrid sliders) and put them to the test in the California mountains with great success.
    + one for Demello off road. (Not because of personality, I like his lines better)

2. Jan 28, 2016 at 12:06 PM
    Dean724

Dean724 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upland, CA
    This thread was a great read until this post. Nobody said Demello invented the wheel and "influence" does not equate to "copied". Hopefully this thread can continue without putting words in peoples mouths.

3. Jan 28, 2016 at 12:36 PM
    BajaRunner

BajaRunner Rock magnet

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chino Hills, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 4wd DC Tacoma TRD OR
    Exact point I'm trying to make. You don't have to like what I say, but things can be interpreted differently by anyone. Influence can equate to copied, so I think it's best people relate their decision for their purchase, not who influenced who, or who's been on the market longer. I like how both Satin and Jason have responded to this thread without bashing their competitor. Everyone else should follow, so with that I'm deleting the post. If I'm miss interpreting trailworx post then that's my problem, I just don't find it relevant to helping the OP choose a bumper other than Jason's customer service and his personal experience with Jason.

4. Jan 28, 2016 at 12:40 PM
    JDEMELLO

JDEMELLO Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Corona Ca
    Vehicle:
    none
    We don't have pricing yet. But it will be in line with the market on these bumpers and our current tacoma bumpers.

5. Jan 28, 2016 at 1:01 PM
    JDEMELLO

Member:
    Corona Ca
    Vehicle:
    none

I thought you came by because you liked my free shirts and Carne Asada? :)

As far as the copying thing. *Rolls eyes, It's a double edge sword, when I see something that looks close to what we've designed which we've never sat down and said "lets make it like that but change this so no one notices" It's flattering that things I came up with late some night 10 years ago in a shop in Santa Ana when all I wanted to do was have a hole that was a different shape than everything else is now the standard go to for a design on bumpers. Or even when the lines of bumpers are clearly the same lines, I look at that as inspiration that I need to re-invent something or I need to one up the competition. Hence why our Tacoma bumpers got a make over. The original version was very similar to our current one but we knew we could do better, we knew we could make a better product. When the competition all started to look the same we decided to make ours stand out again.

I love competition if it's to push me to make a better or different product or it's to strike imagination. I get tired of seeing the same old thing, I like different, I like when people try something new, it won't always work but you throw enough stuff to the wall something is going to stick. As far as our Tacoma bumper, it was derived from our FJC bumper as has every bumper we've made since the FJ came out. I can show you the pictures of the card board we used to mock it up, I can show the changes we made from the original. I can even explain what I was thinking when I made little cuts or little shapes that most people just skim over. They all had a reason, some important some were just what made sense. We never look at other products for something to copy, but we do look for inspiration. I saw a bumper this past year at FJ summit and while the style was not what I would have done, it was different and a complete step away from what's already out there. The name of the company was Hefty fab, it's "inspired" me to maybe look at doing anther line of bumpers that are just a little more Crazy a little more out there. Same reason why our x-wing sliders are either loved or hated, it's not for everyone but it's different enough that it spikes imagination.

[​IMG]

One of the most unique bumpers I've ever seen. I made it a point to tell him that and it was refreshing to see someone step outside the comfort zone.

I was once told "competition breeds ingenuity" Nicole was right it does but it also breeds laziness, Pick which side you want to be on and run with it.

Dave is always sharing with me his bumper idea's privately, I'm honest with him, I'll tell him if it looks like it ran over a row of bikes or if he got lazy and welded one of my bumpers to an All-Pro bumper. It helps keep him honest and helps keep my one liners fresh:)

Augie, \000/ and VandalTaco like this.
  6. Jan 28, 2016 at 1:10 PM
    JDEMELLO

Member:
    Corona Ca
    Vehicle:
    none
    Oh and for reference here is our old Tacoma bumper

bumper007_c777fb06ef989e82b9e56f64802bb7da3e0e0a76.jpg

You can see the difference of the inside for sure.

bumper001_aaa0a381b3b54b86e21e463f1224b89e46bbfb40.jpg

Here is the first one we did which clearly needed improvement. I'm pretty sure it was just a heavily modified FJC bumper.
    Notshopstuff206_cf094f6438dd26bd91e7d771df2e979db1d9a36c.jpg

Here is the new one.

bumper009_b8bcf8cf7ab83f7b51a15fe95066d3c16fafd4d4.jpg

tacomabumperinsde_zps78907b43_b2fb2e2d9ab6e230615325b50bd16b1e9055c122.jpg

tacoma20058_zps0ac0d063_81a736d66ea893a96a2a2fde35cc987aaa322d8d.jpg

tacomaweb_zpsfc1d6ce5_67417fa68d7f44edcc7318cf34b8a76338e19d61.jpg

7. Jan 28, 2016 at 1:14 PM
    Trailworx

Trailworx Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 FJ Cruiser Prerunner
    Trailworx front and rear bumpers, Icon coilovers, method double standards, General Grabbers

Lol it was the carna.
    I'm with you on competition breeds newer better products for those willing to be innovative and daring.
    Agree 100% on hefty fab they really stepped outside the box and opened up some new ideas for some.

I also do the same when it comes to building products. I usually make a few tweaks to improve each design. I'm in the process of changing a few things on my current Fj bumper. I guess I'm never 100% satisfied.

Keep up the good work.

8. Jan 28, 2016 at 1:55 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.

Hope this helps!

9. Jan 28, 2016 at 1:56 PM
    JDEMELLO

Member:
    Corona Ca
    Vehicle:
    none
    Like this? Tacoma20052_zps2c8e52e0_3b2d1d48e69bdc05aabdca18717b0c5f7b862da8.jpg

tacoma20055_zpsdc5766d3_176985529733f2e45f1aa3739c6d90e237c49493.jpg

tacoma20057_zpsf6e5d1f8_3b15f1848d98f9152ff0e8dd28cbe3e12ef54558.jpg

TexanTacoma[OP] likes this.
  10. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '22 DCSB TRD Offroad 4WD
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    The Demello bumper is something I have absolutely no need for, but would love to have. IMO, the best looking bumper out there.

Falldownhard and JDEMELLO like this.
  11. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:09 PM
    Trailworx

Trailworx Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 FJ Cruiser Prerunner
    You obviously misinterpreted my post.
    I said myself and pelfrey were obviously influenced by Demello's style.
    You read " pelfrey copied Demello" and ran with it.
    I build custom bumpers mostly for the Fj community and have done a few tacomas and other vehicles. I can tell you that most of the time we gather ideas from what we see and what we like then spend months figuring out how to make it mesh together and come up with a nice package.
    Twisting my words to make up you're own is not the correct way to go about things.
    Everyone has chimed in on why they prefer one product over another or offered another product as did I. Heck I didn't even push my product based on the fact that the op ask an opinion between 2 brands.
    I'm glad you're happy with your choice In bumper selection and a good experience with the vendor. it's your toy to mod so do what makes you happy.

nudavinci64 likes this.
  12. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    Eagle keeper

Eagle keeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Va. Beach
    Vehicle:
    2011 dcsb
    You may have found what has been driving me crazy since my Demello install....not sure if mine is the same thing but I hear a noise on my passenger side but mainly when I hit potholes. Mine actually sounds bad. It's loud and I thought the bumper was loose but it's solid. It's not really a tapping noise or all the time but mostly just a good bump makes it happen. Does this sound like the same issue ? Thanks

13. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:37 PM
    BajaRunner

BajaRunner Rock magnet

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chino Hills, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 4wd DC Tacoma TRD OR
    And that's why I deleted my post. I don't want to offend. I'll leave it at that.

nudavinci64 likes this.
  14. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:41 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I put the bushings on my '08 and it was an incredible difference. I think your radiator bushings are toast, I got the clunking when hitting bumps/potholes and the bushings changed the way the truck handled/rode and made it 10000X better. In fact, I just put the bushings on my '12 and it only has 18K on it because of how much better they feel compared to the sloppy rubber bushings from the factory. Absolute best bang for the buck.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-mounts-cab-also.361346/page-28#post-11632668

15. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:44 PM
    BajaRunner

BajaRunner Rock magnet

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chino Hills, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 4wd DC Tacoma TRD OR
    For some reason the passenger side radiator support bushing gets loaded up with dirt and grime, which eats away at the bushing, or at least this was happening to mine. I would get knocks and squeaks and it was from that bolt and bushing. Constantly had to pull it out and clean it all the time. Finally the bushing was worn down and torn from all the dirt and grime. Replacing the radiator support bushings with energy suspension bushings solved the issue. Poly bushings can be noisy so apply a light amount of grease or Teflon dry lubricant. If you're doing the radiator supports I'd recommend doing the body mounts too. The poly bushings are stiffer, so not sure if it could metal fatigue the front clip over time. The rubber OEM bushings move and give a lot more than the poly bushings. Amazon.com sells the full kit for $36 now I think. Just an idea.

16. Jan 28, 2016 at 5:57 PM
    Eagle keeper

Eagle keeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Va. Beach
    Vehicle:
    2011 dcsb
    Jason.....I installed my bumper and I love the look. Ordered a Baja for my 2011. I had it "double dipped" in that it was powdercoated and then a had a liner sprayed on. It is awesome and had hopes to send ya pics soon as I promised Tiff lol. Anyway I tugged pulled and twisted but have yet to get my lines on the bumper/fenders to be as clean as these pics..... Any help/ideas? I was thinking maybe I could get some of the square washers that was sent with my bumper and maybe shim it some, idk. I want to love this bumper even more and brag about it more to my east coasters. Although I do like being one of the few over here with something different.

17. Jan 28, 2016 at 6:29 PM
    jball135

jball135 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Offroad

18. Feb 1, 2016 at 10:01 AM
    JDEMELLO

Member:
    Corona Ca
    Vehicle:
    none
    The Tacoma's actually all of the toyotas are a little different. When we install them, sometimes we tighten or loosen body mount/core supports to even it out. We've literally had one have a gap on one truck, take it across the shop and mount it on another and it fits perfect with out playing with it. Then you go off road and it flexes all over the place. The body on frames are really soft mounted. So yes shims, washers or adjusting the body mounts may need done. If you are local you can come in and we can have a go at it.

19. Feb 5, 2016 at 7:58 AM
    Trailworx

Trailworx Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 FJ Cruiser Prerunner
    So did the op end up with the Demello bumper?

20. Feb 5, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    TexanTacoma

TexanTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peyton
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Still on the fence but the breeze is swaying me towards Demello

JDEMELLO and Trailworx like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top