1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pennsylvania to Utah Roadtrip

Discussion in 'Travel' started by weldo, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Sep 10, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    weldo

weldo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 base ac 2.7 5-speed 4x4
    Hey y'all! I just started a trip from Pittsburgh, PA to southern Utah. I'm traveling with my sister Stephanie and cousin Carolyn. We plan to do some offroad trails and camping in the San Rafael Swell, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef. Pictures and writeups will follow when internet becomes available.

For now, roadside attractions, including gigantic phony candle, huge rocking chair and world's largest wind chime! Yay America!

DSCN2711.jpg DSCN2715.jpg DSCN2723.jpg DSCN2727.jpg

First night is in Collinsville, Illinois, tomorrow, to Kansas!

2. Sep 11, 2015 at 6:58 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    More roadside America. First up the Nuclear Waste Adventure Site. Back in the 40s-60s the military did something here with manufacturing nuclear material. Now its a waste site housing many many cubic yards of waste entombed in a huge concrete and earthen mound. You can climb to the top! Thanks Uncle Sam!

_EP38371.jpg _EP38365.jpg _EP38368.jpg _EP38370.jpg

Also Cheese!

_EP38376.jpg

We stay tonight in Hays, Kansas. Tomorrow we hit Glenwood Springs, Co and some hot spring pools!

3. Sep 11, 2015 at 7:11 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    Also saw this at a rest stop! Super Expo Unimog! I was all like, psssh, whatev, it's pretty cool I guess...

DSCN2832.jpg

4. Sep 11, 2015 at 7:13 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    A cool shot my sister got form the nuclear waste pile.

DSCN2757.jpg

5. Sep 11, 2015 at 7:44 PM
    StG

StG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the Sun, AZ
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD
    Sub'd for the goofy roadside attractions:). Southern Utah ain't nothing like Pennsylvania. Have a great trip!

6. Sep 12, 2015 at 8:05 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    This one is funny. It's like a big middle finger from the government to all the stoners in Colorado. We read a while ago that people were constantly stealing the 420 milemarker on I-70 so they Made one for mile 419.99. Crafty!

_EP38378.jpg

We went up and over the mountain passes on I-70. The truck really struggled at times. Once I was in 2nd gear, pedal to the metal and just barely going 35 mph! Brutal for us 4 cylinder guys... at least this one anyway.

Internet is suckin the big on at this Rodeway Inn, Can't upload anymore pics. Will try again tomorrow from Moab! Wooo Moab!

7. Sep 12, 2015 at 8:06 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man!

8. Sep 12, 2015 at 8:12 PM
    Reh5108

Reh5108 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 2.7L Extra Cab
    OME lift, 4x sliders, Demello rear bumper, custom front bumper, Engo 9000lb winch
    I'll be making a similar trek in two weeks on a move to Colorado. Might have to check out some of these land marks

9. Sep 12, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    markmb45

markmb45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 Reg Cab 3.4, auto, e-locker
    V6,Auto, e-locker 4runner dash, seats
    Be sure to visit the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park. Elephant Hill is a great trail. Good Luck.

RogueTRD likes this.
  10. Sep 13, 2015 at 7:46 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    More pics from yesterday. Up and down the mountain pass. Down was great, I had really good engine braking in 4th or 5th gear, no brakes used at all and maintained a steady 67 or so mph.

DSCN2888.jpg

DSCN2902.jpg

11. Sep 13, 2015 at 8:09 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    Today we drove through the Colorado National Monument. It's an impressive and expansive array of large canyons and formations.

_EP38408rs.jpg

DSCN2962.jpg

_EP38382.jpg

We saw bighorn sheep!

_EP38441rs.jpg

DSCN3019.jpg

DSCN3028.jpg

This is the scenic byway UT128. You get off I-70 at exit 214 toward "Cisco" go about 10-12 miles and make a left. It follows the Colorado River much of the way and borders Arches National Park. It runs into US191. Then turn left to Moab! It's an amazing road that few people seem to know of. It's quicker to stay on 70 but this was way cool!

_EP38459.jpg

DSCN3063.jpg

Moab, UT. The coolest thing in the lot, boyee! Seriously this place is cool! There's some serious vehicles driving around here!
    _EP38462.jpg

12. Sep 14, 2015 at 5:42 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    Today we finally hit the dirt! We made a big round trip from Moab, north to Potash Road which leads to Shafer Trail. We traveled Shafer to Canyonlands NP and drove around the park a while. We hiked to Upheaval Dome, and stopped at a few overlooks. We then returned to Potash Road via Long Canyon Road! Lots of fun. I wish we had more time in Moab to offroad but we move on tomorrow to Torrey and the Capitol Reef area.

This view is from the beginning of Shafer Trail near the Potash evaporation ponds.

_EP38471.jpg
    Somewhere along Shafer

_EP38486.jpg
    A bend in the Colorado River visible from Shafer Trail pretty early on. Overall the scenery was spectacular!

_EP38491.jpg

Some of the radical switchbacks toward the end of the trail. You gain a lot of elevation in a hurry!
    _EP38515.jpg

Near the top!

_EP38516.jpg

The was descending Long Canyon Road. It was a bit more challenging than we expected with a few decent sized ledges to drop off. For some of it I spotted for my sister in the driver seat. She drove the whole descent!

_EP38531.jpg _EP38533.jpg

ancient11 and Reh5108 like this.
  13. Sep 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    After we left Moab we stopped by Goblin Valley State Park. It had been raining all morning and the park was almost entirely mud. It was interesting, it looked like wet sand but was very slippery. We pulled off the road in an attempt to grab a photo or two and nearly got stuck! Goblin Valley would be great to explore on foot on a drier day.

DSCN3330.jpg

Where we almost got stuck. It didn't look as nasty as it was!

DSCN3362.jpg

Sum mud ona tars! My truck finally has cred, lol!

DSCN3361.jpg

After this we drove on to Capitol Reef, drove through and stayed in Torrey, UT.

14. Sep 17, 2015 at 6:26 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    Yesterday we took a scenic drive in Capitol Reef before we headed off to Cedar Mesa campground to spend the night.

DSCN3409.jpg

The road to the campsite, South Notom Rd was mostly well graded and dry. This was the only slightly washed out area. Other than this it was annoyingly wash boarded in sections. Going about 40-45mph helped lessen the vibes.

DSCN3435.jpg

The campsite! 1 of 5 spots. For a while it looked like a storm was a brewin' but it ended up clearing up nicely. My companions slept in a tent but as an experiment I decided to sleep in the truck bed. I was curious how comfortable it would be. All in all it's doable but not super comfy, I need to be about 2" shorter to have some head/foot room. It was a very windy in the middle of the night, it woke me up a few times.

DSCN3439.jpg

After a groggy morning we drove on S Notom Rd to Burr Trail. It switchbacks up a mountain to meet up with highway UT-12. This road was also well graded and dry but wash boardy in spots.

DSCN3492.jpg

DSCN3560.jpg

Originally we planned on spending tonight at Cathedral Valley campground but the word at the visitor center in Capitol Reef is that the road is in very poor condition. Many people have already had to have been rescued when their vehicles got stuck in the mud, so we're staying in Torrey again.

15. Sep 18, 2015 at 6:51 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    Today we did South Draw Road in Capitol Reef. Boy it was great! Much tougher then we expected. It starts at the end of a scenic drive where most people turn around. You drive a dirt road to a trail head then cross a stream to begin the South Draw Rd.

DSCF2000.jpg

My truck gets her feet wet for the first time! It's a small crossing but still exciting!

DSCF2004.jpg

The road got pretty rough. Much of it goes along the bottom of a wash and is very rocky.

DSCF2011.jpg

Going up! Some sections were rougher than this but we didn't get pics of everything.

DSCF2018.jpg

The guy in a red hat was a reporter for a Salt Lake City newspaper. He was out to write a report on things to do in Capitol Reef, or maybe Utah in general. He took a few pics of my truck. Look for his article on October 3 on SLTrib.com. Unfortunately I forgot his name.... but maybe my truck will be in the paper! Woot! The other guy was from Pensacola, Florida and was driving a stock Tacoma TRD Offroad.

DSCF2023.jpg

Going down! This was probably the hairiest part from this point on. The hill was pretty steep and a nice drop off the one side.

DSCF2026.jpg

DSCF2027.jpg

DSCF2028.jpg

Here it started to get a bit smoother. Rocky but mostly flat. This was toward the end. Shortly after this part we crossed another very small creek then after a few more miles the road transitioned to graded gravel and a few more miles later met up with UT-12 near Boulder Mountain.

DSCF2038.jpg

All in all it was a lot of fun. There were a few sections that had me nervous. We didn't get pics of the toughest spot but it was a few really deep ditches across the road in sort of an X shape. I put it in low and choose the line I thought best and we bounced through it no problem. Had to use low a few times on the uphills and steep downhills but mostly it was 4hi, first gear.

My truck is stock on the suspension with only an AAL in the rear. I heard a few disconcerting clunks and pings but no damage was sustained. No wobbles or vibrations were observed after the trail. Some of these obstacles may have approached the upper limits of a stock vehicle, and the road is constantly changing because of heavy rains and snows. I'm fairly new to 4 wheeling but now I have a much better idea of what my truck is capable of and I now know where it could use improvements.

16. Sep 19, 2015 at 5:34 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    Today we drove some awesome dirt roads through the San Rafael Swell. The roads were wide graded gravel and smooth. We hit over 60mph at times and got a little sideways here and there. Great fun!

We visited the Cleveland Lloyd dinosaur quarry. It was very cool. They found many allosaurus skeletons here. There was one quarry bed set up as an exhibit while others are still working sites. As a bonus there were 2 very cute ranger girls working the visitor center! Utah is so great!

After our visit the rangers recommended Buckhorn pass on our return so we mapped it out and off we went down yet more super fun dirt roads. These roads were amazing, like world class rally stages! I only wish the truck had more power for drifting.

The pass was radical! A dirty road snaked through an interesting canyon of geological wonder. Near the end of the pass was an old suspension bridge over the San Rafael river from the 30s once used for cattle. It was really cool.

We drove on as the road became much rougher. The pace slowed to only 30mph or so around sharp turns and rocky, rut filled road crossing many washes.

Eventually we met up with Goblin Valley road from a few days before and then on to UT-24 and south to Hanksville and the Whispering Sands Motel.

Sorry no pics today, my laptop can't seem to connect to the Wi-Fi here, but the tablet can. Just can't get the pics from the camera to the tablet...

17. Sep 19, 2015 at 5:55 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    Wait... figured it out!

The dirt roads in the swell were great!

DSCN3803.jpg

The dino quarry

DSCN3773.jpg

DSCN3781.jpg DSCN3782.jpg DSCN3786.jpg

A view from a campground near the bridge

_EP38652.jpg

The bridge!

DSCF2079.jpg DSCF2087.jpg

18. Sep 19, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    RogueTRD

RogueTRD Learn to swim...

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '14 Pyrite Mica DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Stacked spacer lift, 22x12 wheels with stretched 33's, tow mirrors, bull nuts.
    Great pics, I love Southern Utah, I've been there twice (Both this year) for 11 days total and I've only seen about 20% of what I wanted to see. I am sure there is more that I have missed and don't know about. Looks like you had a great trip.

19. Sep 20, 2015 at 9:02 PM
    weldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    Utah is a great state! So much to do and the people are so friendly and laid back. I could come here every year for vacation.

Today we didn't do much of note. We left Hanksville, UT and drove to Ourey, CO via the million dollar highway. Those mountain roads are tough on the old 4 banger but we made it without incident. Ourey is a neat town, nestled up on the mountains.

We did stop briefly at Natural Bridges National Monument, did the 9 mile loop around the view points. Later we hit the visitor center for Mesa Verde but didn't go into the park because of time constraints.

20. Sep 20, 2015 at 10:10 PM
    5power

5power Member

Member:
    Sweet I love what you did with the truck looks awesome. Those wheels are slick and soo rare props, only thing is I probably get the topper painted to match the truck if possible.

Utah is awesome..... I was in Moab a few months ago biking but would love to take the Truck out there. Keep posting and safe travels!!

To Top