1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Performance tune

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Tarpon24, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Jun 23, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    Tarpon24

Tarpon24 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    Leveling kit, 20 in rims, flowmaster true duals, bullying watch dog,
    I get very bad mpg and was thinking about getting a dyno tune from a local shop, and I was wondering if anyone else has tryed this and seen any improvements??

2. Jun 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    How many miles does your truck have?

Dyno tuning the OEM ECU isn't going to happen. It is locked software. You would need sn aftermarket EMS for that.

Now, to go along with the first question, is you truck lifted on large tires, or are you on factory size tires still?

3. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    Tarpon24

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    I'm just trying to figure out somthing to do because this mpg is killing me from what I heard theirs no reason a Tacoma on 20's with 33's should get 10 mpg it's not like I'm a lead foot either I rarely go over 2000 rpm excellerating.

4. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Tarpon24

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    And it has just under 25000 miles

5. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    For 33" tires you'll want to regear your differential(s).

6. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    Tarpon24

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    To what and where do I get them. And will that help anything ? I used to have a lifted diesel and on the u just slapped a lift on some rims and tires and a chip and it was good to go.

7. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    30k miles is the regular service interval for changing out the factory fuel filter.

I highly doubt yours is clogged so bad, at this point, that you would want to change, but depending on a few things, it could be a source of bad mileage.

8. Jun 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    Tarpon24

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    I know I'm about to do a full service on the whole truck just incase after that in stumped I tryed everything else

9. Jun 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Well, if you do decide to do the fuel filter, don't waste your money on the factory one. It will cost about $500, and you cannot just replace the filter. They replace everything.

Hit up Paul at www.Dezod.com. He has a nice selection of different fuel pump kits, that will also make your fuel filter be external. So that after so many miles, you can easily swap it out again. That kit will run about $150 + or -. Plus, the pump will be better than the factory one.

Gadget at www.URDusa.com has a fuel pump kit as well. About the same price.

10. Jun 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    Darthyota

Darthyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Blown BSP X-Runner
    TRD s/c @ 9lbs, Unobtanium Welding 321SS Full Race Exhaust, B&M s/s, TRD 1st Gen CAI, sittin sic track ready drop, TSW Tanka's with 275/40/18's all the way around, 4300k hid's in headlights and fogs, with more to come
    isnt roughly 26k miles when toyota says to change the plugs as well? on the 1gr?

11. Jun 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    Tarpon24

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    I already pulled the plugs and they where fine. Took it to toyota and had them do their full diagnostic check up and was fine it's not throwing any codes either

12. Jun 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    I won't bother addressing how gas and diesel engines are completely different...

Taller tires = taller effective gear ratio. The engine has less leverage relative to the road so it has to work harder to maintain a given speed. Regearing can bring that effective ratio back to near-stock.

In your MPG calculations, have you taken into account that your speedometer is off by about 9-10% since you went with taller tires? The speedometer will read slower than your actual speed.

13. Jun 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    Tarpon24

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    I know how diesel and gas engines are different just a statement. But where would you go to purchase the gears and how much and why gears would you recommend.

14. Jun 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Do some reading and first learn why you'd want new gears, then worry about where to get them from and where to have them installed. The most important thing is to understand the reason for the mods and why they work. Don't blindly take advice whether it be from a mechanic, friend, or random guy on the internet.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/truck_gear_calculations/index.html

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_0604_choosing_the_right_ratio/index.html

http://www.ringpinion.com/TechnicalHelp/HowTo.aspx

Familiarize yourself with the why and the how and then ask any questions you may have.

15. Jun 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM
    Tarpon24

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    Yea I looked it up I have the 33'S but my truck doesn't perform any worse still excellerates fine and everything guess I'll just have to take the crap mileage or just trade it in. Just don't know how a v6 can get 11 to low 11 mpg on only 33's just can't fathom that.

16. Jun 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    Tandum

Tandum Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Fremont, california
    Vehicle:
    3" Leveled '06 4L prerunner
    JBA headers with a complete magnaflow custom exhaust out the sides, dever 10 pack leafs with Donahoe resivor shocks in the back, just spaced in the front until I can afford coil overs. Sits on 33" tires on MT wheels
    I get 13 mpg on 33" tires with 456 gears...

17. Jun 25, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    Tarpon24

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    Their only 31.5 lbs. with nitto terra grapplers.

18. Jun 26, 2012 at 5:43 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I was thinking this morning on the way to work. Try disconnecting your battery for a good 30 minutes.

Then reconnect it. At that point, drive around taking it easy on everywhere you go. The ECU will learn a new "driving style" of yours. It might help.

Also, being that your speedometer is now off due to a larger tire size, it will also make it look like you haven't driven as far, as it would with stock tire size. Thus it will make it seem like you are getting worse MPG.

19. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    prius mod for sure, i hate these threads. "i bought a truck, put on huge rims and mud tires, and now my mpg sucks"

20. Jun 26, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    I bought a truck. Added one mod. Now I am addicted. Help!

Products Discussed in

To Top