1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pics of the Hellwig 550 Helper Springs in Action

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SilverTacoZack, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aug 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    These are pics of the Hellwig 550 Helper Springs that I got my dad for his birthday this month. He has an 08 Access Cab Tacoma with no TSB done and he was getting jealous of my TSB equipped truck not sagging when pulling stuff, but he was kind of hesitant to do a full AAL, so I got him this for his birthday from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-550-L...RUWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314147082&sr=8-1

Today was the first true test of them as we hooked up our trailer to take our Kawasaki Mule 4x4 in for service. Last time he took this, his truck was sitting like 2.5 inches nose high and he said it was not fun to drive that way. Now, you can see it is sitting pretty level. I think they did exactly what we hoped they would, and it was way easier to install then an AAL. We just jacked up the rear, took off the wheels, and bolted them over the top of the leafpack. Very easy. Yes, it is only a little less than a full AAL but for those people that just want a bit more load carrying capacity these are great. He also said he noticed it feels more solid when "flooring it at red lights" when I am thinking probably means reduced axle wrap.

IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg

2. Aug 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    rjg

rjg Yes

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Regular Cab 4x4 5 Spd 2.7
    LCE header, AFE filter, Blinglight Fogs, URD Short Shifter, Delay wipers
    Looks good! I just put mine on today. I noticed you mounted the U bolt behind the factory spring clamp. I was kicking it around and may change mine this way too. As mine are now, the rear of the helper hits the factory leaf clamp.

On my rear U bolts, I have about 1.25 inches of thread exposed(without the jam nut). Seems to actually ride better. It still has a slight clunk, however it is better than before. I may need to move them rearward so I can tighten them down more.

3. Aug 24, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    SilverTacoZack

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    Yeah we looked at the mounting position a lot before deciding to put it where weve got it. It just does clear the hanger when its flexed to the max

4. Aug 24, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    SilverTacoZack

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    I meant clear the leaf claml

5. Sep 18, 2011 at 5:16 AM
    zano

zano Well-Known Member

Member:
    south chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX Bro
    2.25" lift, SPC UCA, Dobinson's C59-314 coils & 500lb leaf packs, Billy 5100's & 5125, Tom Woods 1pc ds, TRD exhaust, OEM black tube steps, Konig Countersteer (FN) wheels, Michelin LTX/AT2's
    just installed my hellwig 550's last night. i decided to mount the front of the helpers 2 inches aft of the clam. torqued to 55 ft. lbs. As for the rear side of the helpers, i wasnt sure how much to tighten the nuts on the ubolts, so i threaded them half-way up the bolts, then added the locknuts and tightened them. took it for a drive and NO MORE CLUNK!.. ride is harsher but, i think i can live with that.

6. Sep 19, 2011 at 3:29 AM
    zano

zano Well-Known Member

Member:
    south chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX Bro
    2.25" lift, SPC UCA, Dobinson's C59-314 coils & 500lb leaf packs, Billy 5100's & 5125, Tom Woods 1pc ds, TRD exhaust, OEM black tube steps, Konig Countersteer (FN) wheels, Michelin LTX/AT2's
    i have the rear TSB and after about 5k miles i started getting the axle wrap "clunk"... after installing these helpers, the noise is gone..

7. Sep 19, 2011 at 3:54 AM
    SilverTacoZack

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    Well it just depends on how much you tighten the ubolts. If you torque them down super right, it will still be applying some pressure when unloaded, but basically it applies more force as soon as you start loading the springs. It has a reverse arch from the factory springs so in order for the factory springs to start "sagging", they have to fight against the arch of the hellwigs.

8. Jan 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    i just installed mine today. i tried putting mine in the position you had yours BUT there isnt enough room on my std cab. the u bolt smacks into u bolt. i could cut the u bolts down but i'm alright where it is for now.

9. Apr 27, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Old thread revival.

Looks like at least one person has these installed on the TSB leafs. Are there any fitting issues with the TSB leafs? Want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

Products Discussed in

To Top