1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pigpen's Working Man's Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Pigpen, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Jun 21, 2016 at 10:54 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen [OP] My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I've wanted a Toyota truck most of my life, I finally bought one in February 2012. It's a 2012 Access Cab Base Model V6 4X4 with the 6 speed manual transmission. I thought it was a great truck (true) and thought it looked great (also true). Then I found TW. Since you're reading this, you understand.

One of my first mods was to remove the rear seats and create storage and a bed for my dog

I know my truck is messy. It's always like that. I actually use it.

I didn't take pictures of it early on. It was just a tool to be used and a toy to be enjoyed. Originally I found a white Raider topper on CL, but after a year I found a guy with a white Taco and black LEER and we traded. For those wondering, that's an avalanche in the background.

Then I added Firestone Ride Rite airbags so I could tow my camper without the sag you already see in the pic above - there's nothing heavy in the bed in that pic, just the topper.

I had also found some offset wheels I liked (temporarily)

All was right with the world. I could tow, haul weight in it and it looked good. I put a Yakima rack on top for stuff like my bike and canoe. When hauling a canoe (especially on rough FSRs at not so prudent speeds) make sure the full length of the boat is supported. Otherwise you get "dimples" - yes there's a matching one on the other side.

I built a sleeping frame and storage area in the back to maximize the utility of the bed.

When the weather is nice during archery season, sometimes I don't bother with the camper

Of course I had to lift it. 5100s at 1.75" setting up front and airbags at 35 psi to level - stock 2+1 leaf pack in rear. Tires are 265/70/16 (they look so tiny now)

I already had a winch, so I added a CBI Offroad hidden front hitch and wired the truck for front and rear winch use.

When not in use, the winch power is shut off with this switch that came with the Warn rear quick connect kit.

I added tracks and a rack to the LEER for properly carrying my canoe (pic is out of chronological order - 33s came later)

With all the extra weight and the hard rebound of the inflated airbags, my stock shocks didn't last long. I replaced them with OME N182s

Here's what lives under my sleeping platform year round.

I started driving more challenging areas and had some dings in the stock "skid plate", so I bought IFS and mid skids from Tyler and Satin Pelfrey

My friend had some tires I wanted, but I didn't think I could make them work. I decided to commit to them - 255/85/16 and they worked just fine!

They rubbed the stock mud flaps pretty good when turned and stuffed, but those flaps didn't last long. I quickly switched to these https://www.amazon.com/Black-Road-Scene-Easy-Guard/dp/B0002NIJS0/ref=pd_sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=317WRCY2TJL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR222%2C320_&psc=1&refRID=9EGPK7NH49WWY1Z44PGZ

Then I bought this stuff for taking full advantage of my 33s

This is just an initial install pic - I cleaned up the obvious issues.

I painted the stock steelies black

I ripped off a fender flare wheeling and broke most of the tabs off it.

I liked the look enough that I decided to run with it.

I converted a cargo tray into a bike carrier

A boy and his truck

Packed for action

I lifted my 1958 Siesta vintage camper so it would stop dragging ass while being towed to the really good spots.

After putting a dent in my rocker panel that was almost big enough to interfere with operation of the passenger door, I decided it was time for sliders. Pelfreybilt bolt on with kickout and fill plates

The pinch weld on the bottom of the cab was hitting the sliders.

I decided to replace the body mount bushings. That solved it!
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/body-mount-bushing-install-now-with-pictures.432885/

I added TRD Pro headlights

and Depo tail lights

I decided a hand throttle would be a nice addition for keeping RPMs up while winching. I use it to winch trees over for my tree service, as well as off road applications.

I got tired of my suspension setup. It was functional, but I had outgrown it. I added Dakar leaf springs and Bilstein B110 shocks.

My 33s are looking small now

Pic above is with 5100s @1.75 + 1/4" spacer = 23" center of hub to fender (don't forget my body lift)

Pic below is without spacer = 22.25 center of hub to fender

Rear is 25" center of hub to fender.

I have new to me LCAs with good bushings to put in, along with brand new OEM mounting/ alignment hardware. I also have LR UCAs, new 5100s and top plates, and 885x coils that need to go in before a road trip at the end of this month.

Here are pics with the goodies above installed. The 885s gave me exactly the same lift as my 5100s at the 1.75" setting. Now both sides of the front sit at 23" center of hub to fender. Rear is still 25".

[​IMG][​IMG]

More pics to come...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. Jun 21, 2016 at 10:54 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    She doesn't get washed often, but she cleans up nice!

I made the tracks in, now following them out.

Two hard-working trucks

One of my favorite camping spots.

Same spot, different day

My copilot

Fall colors at the beach in NW Montana

I miss that little Freightliner, what a work horse!

My home for 5 years... I love that place.

Cruising in sub zero temps. It was a cold hunting/ camping trip, but at least we saw elk.

West border of Glacier NP

My wheeling buddy and good friend

Gotta air down even on 35s, especially with open diffs

Stuck way past where we left the Jeep buried :D

Your Jeep is stuck way back there, so shovel me out and run my winch!

Pic in the driveway on the farm

Spring pic with the barn finished

Spring pic with the barn mostly empty

All prettied up

If you look just off my driver side headlight, there's a helicopter in the distance dropping water on a forest fire - an unusual photo op.

The view I wake up to at the previously mentioned camping spot

Gettin' dirty - I like 'em a little dirty.

Glacier NP

Out for a winter drive - Hungry Horse Reservoir

Early season snow driving - light, fluffy "hero snow"

Out for a drive

Late season snow wheeling. 15 psi and crawling. The snow is well over frame deep here.

Late season slush

Beargrass flowers - they're lilies

At work building a forestry access trail

Just out for another local drive

3. Jun 21, 2016 at 10:54 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    My first bear (2014)

That's him after tanning - beer for size reference

This is my winter office - snowboarding instructor

My buddy's '03 Tundra and a great day in the woods (2014)

Last year's bear (2015), my second bear.

My archery buck from 2013

2015 buck

I saw 3 mountain goats up here, but nothing I had a tag for.

A casual day at the office...

Little Taco vs. big poplar - gotta love the winch

Nothing says Montana like a bike with a gun rack.

This guy tried to drive with ski boots on.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  4. Aug 2, 2016 at 6:58 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional

If I didn't know better I'd guess those are Asolo Snowpine boots.

Said it before but just dig what you're doing with your truck. Not flashy, just works.

JoefromPTC and T4RFTMFW like this.
  5. Aug 2, 2016 at 7:02 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks a bunch for the compliment! Those are the Danner equivalent of the Asolo Snowpines (Edit: They are Snowpines, I'm an idiot).

6. Aug 2, 2016 at 7:08 PM
    adanfon

adanfon YNWA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adán
    Hanford, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma DCLB 4x4
    Looking good buddy! Subd!

Pigpen[OP] likes this.
  7. Aug 2, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Finally added comments to pages 2 and 3

ChadsPride likes this.
  8. Aug 10, 2016 at 7:33 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    T4RFTMFW and ChadsPride like this.
  9. Aug 30, 2016 at 4:04 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
  10. Sep 14, 2016 at 10:30 AM
    ChadsPride

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Subd for picssssssss

Justanotherhemi likes this.
  11. Sep 15, 2016 at 1:12 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2 am, just got home. Pics to come.

12. Sep 15, 2016 at 1:45 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Teaser

image.jpg

DaveInDenver and ChadsPride like this.
  13. Sep 25, 2016 at 9:39 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

7 days on the lower Salmon River in Idaho. Not a bad way to kill a week.

14. Sep 25, 2016 at 9:44 AM
    ChadsPride

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bad ass man!!!!
    :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

15. Sep 25, 2016 at 10:32 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Get that lift on?

ChadsPride[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Sep 25, 2016 at 1:53 PM
    ChadsPride

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sure did brother

20160925_132553.jpg

taczilla likes this.
  17. Sep 26, 2016 at 3:14 PM
    tjjmon

tjjmon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Billings, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD OR
    Weathertech
    Man I live in the wrong part of the state.

Pigpen[OP] and ChadsPride like this.
  18. Sep 26, 2016 at 4:43 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:

The little blue cooler on the front of my boat has just enough space for 3 cases of beer - with enough room to squeeze in a few small plastic bottles of booze.

ChadsPride[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Sep 26, 2016 at 4:54 PM
    hungrycoyotes

hungrycoyotes Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco 4x4 Dblcb
    Flowmaster 40 muffler, LED Bed Lights, AFE Drop In Filter, BFG KO2 265/70/17
    Those are some great pics!

Pigpen[OP] and ChadsPride like this.
  20. Sep 26, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    ChadsPride

Member:
    Vehicle:
    :cheers:

Mad respect man!!!!​

Products Discussed in

To Top