1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pioneer AVH-P8400BH

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by CascoYota, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mar 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    CascoYota

CascoYota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Casco,ME
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab V6 SR5
    This is just a brief review. I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. Seemed like it would be more helpful in here. Also, sorry for the crappy cell-phone pics.

[​IMG]

I just got around to installing this HU earlier this afternoon. I've only had limited time to make use of the applications and settings. However, I'd like to list what I have been able to use and my thoughts on it. This was installed in an 07.

Sound Quality

The sound quality is phenomenal in comparison to the stock unit that came with the truck. I immediately began streaming music via Bluetooth off of my phone. The clarity was shocking at first. I did a few double takes to make sure I was playing the right song. You could hear sections of instruments that simply blended in before.

Audio Streaming

Bluetooth pairing is a simple process. The HU actually could not detect my phone at first. I had to pair the units via my phone. Either way, they were connected quickly. I tested both Pandora and Spotify. My only qualm with Spotify (which is what I use 99% of the time) is that, sometimes the Bluetooth seems to "lag" out. It will skip songs if turning off the truck for a short period, then returning and trying to start the song from it's paused state. Other than that, it's been a pleasure thus far.

Video Playback

[​IMG]

Obviously, the first DVD I threw in there was Star Wars. I couldn't resist. Resolution far exceeded my expectations. I was driving home at sunset and even with the glare, the picture was still great. Contrast could probably use a bit of tweaking, but it may just be that DVD. I'll have to test a newer movie before I make that claim. The DVD's load up very quickly as well.

[​IMG]

This sight put a huge smile on my face.

Misc.

Just to touch base on a few random points. The unit comes with a USB extension which I ran into the glove compartment. Also, a bluetooth mic is included. Installed it right on the edge of my dash above the steering column. I rolled up the excess mic wire and secured it with electrical tape in a corner so it's nice and secure.

Installation overall was incredibly simple. I haven't installed any aftermarket stereo's in the better half of a decade. Seems the wiring code colors haven't changed one bit. I did double check the back of the manual though. I know everyone will recommend soldering. I went with wire nuts and electrical tape (I'm lazy). Tested all connections before installing. Unit loaded right up. Tided up all wires with additional electrical tape.

[​IMG]

The faceplate is easily detachable and a snap to put back on. The added security is a plus for when I stay overnight in a city.

I'm sure there's plenty i'm forgetting to mention. I blame my ADHD. If you have any questions, i'll be happy to answer them.

I can't comment on the advanced app mode or anything involving an iPhone really. Sadly, I have an android. Rumors going around that they will be releasing a firmware update for Android phones so it has the interactive capabilities as the iPhone. If not, I may just have to go back to the dark side on my next phone upgrade *shudder*.

2. Mar 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    kogary

kogary Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2005 Indigo Ink AC, V6, auto, 4x4
    Heated drivers seat, JVC HU, Sound Ordinance compact 8" sub under passenger seat, Morimoto projectors/D25 HIDs, LED lit cupholder mod
    looks awesome, nice install!

Couple of questions:
    1) What kind of phone do you have (e.g., iphone4, HTC Incredible, etc.)
    2) Is that the Metra dash kit?
    3) Where did you purchase it from?
    4) Are you using stock speakers?

Thanks!
    - Gary

3. Mar 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    CascoYota

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Casco,ME
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab V6 SR5
    Thanks!

1) Droid X - Hoping the rumors about the future firmware update are true. Would give Androids the same functionality as iPhone's.

2) Yes it is. The textured one. Fits great. Although, I did have to shave some plastic in a few spots. Along the top and near the emergency lights switch. Had to do the same with the four plastic tabs so the clips would fit snug. Wasn't a big deal though. Only took a few minutes with a knife.

3) J&R. I pre-ordered it for $599 (including shipping). I believe it's gone up to $649. Not positive. Great company to do business with though.

4) Yes. Everything else is stock. Couldn't believe the increase in audio quality though.

4. Mar 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    subed

5. Mar 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    dad32509

dad32509 Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    I have the p2300 and just that increased the stock speaker quality far beyond what I hoped. Love your 8400 though. That shit looks awesome!

[​IMG]

6. Mar 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list
    Nice review, I had my 4400 installed last weekend and so far I love it!

Im also running a android (droid 4), I will never goto a iphone, so I really do hope they come out with a firmware update for us.

[​IMG]

7. Mar 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    CascoYota

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Casco,ME
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab V6 SR5
    Seriously! Thanks man. Researched a lot of units before landing on this one.

I'm gonna have to get one of my buddies with an iPhone to test out the other features. I'll update this as I go along.

8. Apr 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    kogary

kogary Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2005 Indigo Ink AC, V6, auto, 4x4
    Heated drivers seat, JVC HU, Sound Ordinance compact 8" sub under passenger seat, Morimoto projectors/D25 HIDs, LED lit cupholder mod
    Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm looking at getting a new double din unit with GPS to replace my 6 month old JVC single din unit.

I really like that yours has the detachable faceplate. I've had two head units stolen out of my corolla a few years ago (stock tape player, and "autozone special" $40 cd player... I was like, "really?!?! what was the point of that?!?!?!) and ever since then, a removable faceplate has been mandatory :)

9. Apr 19, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    josef

josef Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DoubleCab
    Any updates CascoYota? Just curious if you have been able to mess with iPhone features yet.. Are you still happy with the unit?
    Thanks

10. Apr 19, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    CascoYota

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Casco,ME
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab V6 SR5
    Nope, sorry. Been cranking along at work in anticipation for the summertime (our busy season). I will definitely make an effort to find the time though.

I'm still very pleased with the purchase. All around, it's a quality built product and functions great. My biggest issue would revolve around the Bluetooth though. Maybe it's because I have a Droid X or my particular phone's Bluetooth isn't great. When turning the car off, jumping out quickly and then back on, you have to wait for the bluetooth to reconnect then it ALWAYS skips 2 or 3 songs from your previous selection (I use spotify). Second problem is that the bluetooth mic functions as a means of chatting with people, but i'm told the quality on the other end is a bit scratchy. Not sure if they make a better aftermarket one that I can buy. I'll have to look into that. If you want to talk on the phone when the unit is on and bluetooth is active, there is a "privacy" button you can press. Problem is that if you end the call without hitting that button again, you can no longer stream audio via bluetooth. There are two solutions i've found: Either turn the truck off or make a quick dummy call which resets the privacy option.

Products Discussed in

To Top